PDA

View Full Version : Working for Scott's Lawn Care?

NewToLawnCare
03-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Hey guys,

I am extremely new to the lawn care industry. I am 21 and have been working behind a computer for 3 years and I can't take it anymore. I am to much of a people person who loves to be outside to work in an office all day. Well I applied for a lawn care technician job with Scott's and was wondering if anybody has any input about the company. (Good pay, experience, etc)

My goal is to get all my lawn care and fertilization experience with that company and one day start my own lawn care business. Thanks for any input. Again, I am a compete rookie so any advice would help. I live in Columbus, OHIO also. Thanks.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
03-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Hey new guy welcome to the site.:waving: Scotts is a good company. Why not get your own qualifications and do this on your own. I can see were you can learn from them then go on your own. There is an Ohio Thread on here if you want to join in on the Network side.

grass-scapes
03-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Hey guys,

I am extremely new to the lawn care industry. I am 21 and have been working behind a computer for 3 years and I can't take it anymore. I am to much of a people person who loves to be outside to work in an office all day. Well I applied for a lawn care technician job with Scott's and was wondering if anybody has any input about the company. (Good pay, experience, etc)

My goal is to get all my lawn care and fertilization experience with that company and one day start my own lawn care business. Thanks for any input. Again, I am a compete rookie so any advice would help. I live in Columbus, OHIO also. Thanks.

Well I guess Scotts is a tad bit better than TruGreen. LOL. To make sure you learn the right way, take classes. some of the larger companies tend to cut corners, ghost spray, etc. I won't say that all local offices of those large companies do this, but quite a few do. I believe that Scotts uses all granular, but I could be wrong. Just make sure you learn the correct way to do things. Schooling (i.e. pesticide classes) is the best way.

bblawncare
03-04-2008, 04:29 PM
You may want to post this question on the pesticide/fertilizer forum as those guys could probably offer more insight. Good luck...:waving:

Bluestem
03-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I worked for Scott's. Their applications are granular. It was a decent company to work for in most respects. They had a bonus structure in place that, I thought, encouraged people to cut corners to be able to hit numbers, but I didn't bother with worrying about the bonus structure. I just did the job the way I would want it done if I was the customer, and I had higher retention than just about anyone else, so they stayed off my back.

I found it to be a good place to learn the chem side. They require an applicators license - you'll have some time to study and get it. They provide some decent educational opportunities, like seminars and such that they have you travel to, etc. You can learn a lot there. The experience really helped me when I set up my own business. They will have you sign a no competition agreement, so it is probably not advisable to quit Scott's and then directly compete with them. I'm not sure anyone bothers enforcing those, but just fyi, they have you sign one. I didn't have to worry because I moved away before I started my business. Anyway, I would recommend it as a place to learn about chem. Good luck.

NewToLawnCare
03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.