PDA

View Full Version : Economy Problems

Scagmower48
03-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Do you think this year we are going to have a hard time picking up new clients because of the economy (gas, interest rates, jobs) or is there plenty of work. Are more people going to mow their lawns themselves.

Weekes
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Economy may play into some areas, but even those should sustain mowing business. It's not all doom and gloom. Maybe some LOC's (smaller unorganized companies and some larger unorganized companies) might go under.

I for one plan to grow this year and add new clients, I am sure many others on here plan for the same.

Just because the economy is bad does not mean everyone will let there yard turn into desert, nor will all these people rush out to buy there own equipment to do their own yard, some might most won't.

The economy will recover -- it always does. Have hope, not doom and gloom.

I lost two client so far this year. Both are a temporary loss until their finances recover they love my work and want me back just cannot afford. One can take care of his own yard, and to make up for it he helped me get a large HOA bid. The other is a lady in my neighborhood whose kids should help her out till she can afford it again. If I see they are not doing it I'll do it as a service to her. I am blessed and can afford to give back a bit.

Lets all have hope in America and see this through I am sure many of the long timers remember worse and survived.

Thank you all and have a good day!

Scagmower48
03-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Good Positive Outlook

topsites
03-04-2008, 07:23 PM
No because Sheetz is paying 9+ an HOUR for 'sales associates.'

That's a LOT of money to stand behind a register, I'm sure there's more to the job and full-time hourly is actually code for '36 hours / week' but still! And the way I found out their rates is because they have an ad on the door, so if I applied I could likely get hired right now, today, this evening even.

So if they can't afford my rates they need to find a job lol

daveintoledo
03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
its bad here, real bad, we can hang on for a couple of lean years if we need to, but the new startups will be lowballing, and failing, lowballing and failing, just like every other year.... when things get better, we will still be here...:weightlifter:

Sunstate Lawn
03-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I think focusing on commercial accounts this year is a good bet.

mattfromNY
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
I think focusing on commercial accounts this year is a good bet.

I have one apartment complex (HUD housing) that I have serviced, mowing and snow plowing, for two years. This winter, they have routinely been late paying, and now I find out they are pushing for the maint. guys to mow their own lawns. I may still get the plowing contract next year. I'm told the whole reason is b/c of HUD not dispersing money on time, not sending enough money, etc.

So far, that is the only sign I've seen of any 'belt-tightening', Most of my customers that I've contacted are very excited about me working for them again this year, and I've picked up a few more through word of mouth over the winter.

prizeprop
03-04-2008, 08:32 PM
It's going to be interesting here in New Jersey(financial disaster $33 billion in debt).I think lawn maintenance will be ok, however installs will suffer greatly if your not into a niche market of people making well over 6 figure incomes.