View Full Version : Licenced and Fully Insured??

03-04-2008, 07:26 PM
So I am kinda confused about this... when you say " my business is LICENCED and fully insured " How do you get licenced for mowing a lawn...

I have a tax ID number and I'm insured, would i be able to put in my flyer "Im licenced"

03-04-2008, 07:29 PM
do you have a business lisc.

if yes you are lisc.

do you do fert applications and are certified

if yes you are lisc. for fert

03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
It could mean that you have a registered LLC, s-corp, etc. with your State - or you are registered with your local city, town, etc. for any necessary licenses or tax account #'s... check wiht your Secretary of State website or any local city website for business requirements.

It could mean that you are licensed to apply pesticides and fertilizer, as well.

03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
All you do is go to city hall, Get a DBA, Pass zoning laws, Tell your service, and adress, and social and stuff. And thast about it you get a license to do business in that city

03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I did it for my first year because I felt there was too much blank space on my ad, but I found the words 'licensed and insured' to be too cliche... It's another of those things, EVERYBODY says that, not only is it really a waste of time and advertising space but even the customers I could tell, they didn't come right out and say it but they were like 'omg you too, will you gimme a break?'

At the time I couldn't think of what else to put there, but I did find out when it comes to advertising size does matter, but so do raw numbers. That is, not only is bigger better, but also how many folks get the ad (and more is better here).

So then I found it all boils down to money, see it costs cha-ching to advertise, moolah.
So then I added all of this up together, and I found I have so much dollar I can spend on advertising.

The math is simple, I compromised by cutting my ad down in size, but instead it goes out to more houses.
Works great, I not only don't put that garbage on there, but I get really about the same bang for my buck.
More houses, smaller ad, cost is the same and so are the results, pretty much.

03-04-2008, 08:22 PM
In Mass. if you want to apply any type of pesticide, herbicide, you need a pesticide license. That's what my ad reads.

03-04-2008, 08:30 PM
this is not directed at fert and squirt operations, but the mowers, all states have a different process in getting a business license.... ohio its apply, pay for the license and then you are a licensed company....

you need a business license and to be a legal tax paying operation with general liability insurance

03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
licensed and insured?

May be cliche to advertise but people do care about.

Now, licensed and insured means a whole lot more.

Your business-license, insurance, liability, etc...
Vehicles-tabs, DOT number, correct class of DL for the equipment you have
Fert/Pesticides-Company license, applicator license
City license-don't know about elsewhere but in the Twin Cities you are required to have certain licenses for certain jobs, althoguh this is a city by city scenario.
Electrician low-voltage license-might be required for some landscape jobs that include lighting but mainly for irrigation work.

Being legal suck and is expensive but it is a necessary cost. I know of companies that are not FULLY licensed and do fine but when that time comes, and it will, when they get caught... told you so...