PDA

View Full Version : 8 simple steps for gaining buisness

barefeetny
03-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I read 20 of these how do i get customers... get buisness... get commercials.a week..its almost getting annoying....

its quite simple.... more simple then anyone will ever let on...

it works for any service you want to provide...

Step 1 during buisness hours stay off this site

step 2 put on a clean shirt, brush your hair and teeth.

3 get in your work truck or magnetic signed estimate car

4 drive through neighborhoods

5 stop the car and get out and talk to people...

6 hi my name is johnny and i notice your yard is underwater, overgrown, the wrong color, on fire.. posibly we can help you. explain what you can do for them

7 hand them a card and ask them if they have any questions.... thank them for their time

8 move on to the next house/buisness that you think you can help

Talk to people in line...at the box store... its 5 minutes worth of your time and 1 card ( you bought 2000 of them right)

its cheaper... easier and more effective then anything...Today i got 1 little repair job, a retaining wall... and scored a cherry 88 ford 350 dump... the buisnesses helper had driven over the plow (ouch) and destroyed the lower and upper plow frame... 6 new tires and nice purring 460... picked it up for less then 500...

theres no time like the present..... get out there and sell

if you want to do postcards, flyers flaming billboards.. do that too... but if you can sell like this...then you can definitly sell when its a hot lead...its like batting practice...sometimes you wiff... sometimes you crank one out.

if you need more info... I can probably help... but i know theres a bunch of salesman on this site..

mowing grass 1111
03-04-2008, 08:37 PM
lol almost annoying... it is annoying this site is like a rerun . every few threads someone will post something worth reading but its mostly .. what mower has the best cut , how do i get commercials jobs, does this leaf blower blow hard enough lol, what size trailer should i get. who makes the best weedeater , ztr , trailer.. etc . if people would read about 3/4 pages into the forum they would get their answers .. or use a little common sense...... it seems like people can't think for their self

greenbaylawns
03-04-2008, 08:47 PM
:laugh::laugh: On fire, seems like someone threw a lit smoke on your zoysia lawn, do you want me to fix it?

kleankutslawn
03-04-2008, 08:53 PM
i think i visit this site to much

Indy Kyle
03-04-2008, 08:54 PM
My favoite is.. what kind of shoes should I buy? and not to mention the endless pics of people's random equipment. We get it people!! I know what a fricken toro and a chainsaw looks like!!

DLAWNS
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
My favoite is.. what kind of shoes should I buy? and not to mention the endless pics of people's random equipment. We get it people!! I know what a fricken toro and a chainsaw looks like!!

Now thats funny!

bohiaa
03-04-2008, 09:24 PM
What about putting your logo on your underware ?

kleankutslawn
03-04-2008, 09:40 PM
What about putting your logo on your underware ?

lol. wow you goys can cut in your tightie whities in Texas?lol

barefeetny
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Seriously....

i can take a off beat question every once in a while... but it seems like the older i get... the less patience i have for nonsense...

I actually learn alot on this site..... but i shake my head.way too often....

there was actually a day when there was 6 ztr questions on the top of the page.....
4 of them about bad boys....I never have even seen one in person....

When you become a member you should have to wait 2 days to make a post....your question will be answered 4 times at least...

but back to my original point.... pound the streets... get some accounts... then buy a mower and a 45000 dollar truck

tennesseelawnguy
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I agree completely. to many people want all the answers just given to them without doing the work. how do they think we learned what we know. my favorite "What do I bid on it?" gets asked 20 times a day on here . hell just put a bid on it and if you screwed yourself over learn from it and don't do it again. i guess there's just too many employees trying to run a business now. they need to shed that mentality and and start making some executive decisions.no one held my hand when i got started.

capnsac
03-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I think in every aspect of life people often wonder 'how can I do this with the least amount of work possible?' It's all too common anymore that kids get stuff handed to them when they are little, and this sets them up for failure down the road. The mentality is put upon them that you can coast through life and things will just come to you. When in reality it's the exact opposite.
You're gonna mess up in life, but that's the best part about second chances. You live and you learn. I'd have to say that most of the lessons I learned were 80% from experience and 20% from asking. I ask a bunch of questions, however it's not usually until I mess it up and have to go back and fix the problem is when I will say 'oh yeah, such and so knew what they were talking about'
All in all I'd say that you're 100% right, get out there and talk to people and see what can't be done for them. The numbers game will always be on your side, because its like girls at the bar, 9 of them might shoot me down, but it's that 10th one that says yes and I am a happy man the next day. :) Crude analogy, but I think some can relate :)

p.s. don't be a fool, wrap your tool! :laugh:

bigw
03-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I know a good salesman :rolleyes:

barefeetny
03-04-2008, 11:30 PM
can't argue with that

Big W sent out some postcards but I'f i remember an earlier post... he's allways selling....

I can toataly agree with the 9-10 girls at the bar.... i see the analogy perfectly...... I don't need every lawn...... i refer more accounts then some people have

i just need my kind of accounts...Full service... non-Pita's who let me make run the show on everything besides design...

03-05-2008, 03:40 AM
usually by the time you get on to the 10th girl at the bar... well in the morning you wont be happy when you roll over. Whats that PITA? lol

topsites
03-05-2008, 04:53 AM
then buy a mower and a 45000 dollar truck

Yeah but make sure it's a $80,000 Aebi model you're buying and why are you telling them to get a cheap truck?
Get an International CXT (picture below) then don't forget an enclosed Bloomers trailer with living quarters, also for yourself get a Bugatti Veyron convertible to give estimates in.
You probably should already have the yacht, for the weekend getaways.

Hoss315er
03-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Good post...but what is the best way to get customers.....and when should I start advertising?

I think I'll start stuffing mail boxes this weekend. :laugh:

larryinalabama
03-05-2008, 08:53 AM
BAREFEETNY, 45K truck,,,,,,,, Hey Im looking at 2 box vans 1 is a 93 ford with the van for a cab 68k miles for less than 4k and the other is a 2002 Isuzu cab over 105k miles for around 6k. both are gas burners what do you think?

JeffNY
03-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Im kind of surprised this isn't set up like Plowsite, where there's a forum just for bidding and estimating, and a forum for each manufacturer. That would solve alot of the BS posts, then you can just stay off those forums.
I'm just sayin.

greenbaylawns
03-05-2008, 10:01 AM
What do you wanna talk about? How about my flag a half-staff today. Wind chills a little on the cool side today or I'd start walking the neighborhoods

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-05-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree in part that you have to learn some of the business the hard way...
BUT you also have to learn by asking some questions too. If we can't help others learn from our own mistakes that we made, what kind of industry are we?

and per above, a Pack fan in NE???? Might wan't to just drop that flag to the ground:)

4-Seasons
03-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I see you mentioned Zoysia. Do you know anything about it. I need some information. I might be putting some down at a job.

barefeetny
03-05-2008, 11:46 AM
larry buy the ford.... if their both gas.... really its comical.... the ford i just bought is d is 99 percent rust free... dump body is mint ....and it runs and drives with 6 new tire..... under 500 bucks.... it needs a complete new plowframe minus the plow....

so since i have a plowframe on the other deisiel.... i could put that on the dump...... now i'll have two 4wd dumps.... i'll sell the pickup... and probably make money...

if not 500 bucks is less then one payment on a new 2500/3500 250/350...

I can almost understand the which mower threads except for what their starting with...

should i spend 12 grand on the 82 horse badboy with the 72 inch deck or the 15,000 dollar scag with the nuculear propulsion, climate controled cupholders and limited edition rims...

how many accounts do you have? 5 1/4 acre lots but i'm planning on having 100 by fall..

i almost feel bad because most of the time its hard enough to start without digging yourself a hole over your head... some make it some don't..... but some never gave themselves a chance

Nate

larryinalabama
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
larry buy the ford.... if their both gas.... really its comical.... the ford i just bought is d is 99 percent rust free... dump body is mint ....and it runs and drives with 6 new tire..... under 500 bucks.... it needs a complete new plowframe minus the plow....

so since i have a plowframe on the other deisiel.... i could put that on the dump...... now i'll have two 4wd dumps.... i'll sell the pickup... and probably make money...

if not 500 bucks is less then one payment on a new 2500/3500 250/350...

I can almost understand the which mower threads except for what their starting with...

should i spend 12 grand on the 82 horse badboy with the 72 inch deck or the 15,000 dollar scag with the nuculear propulsion, climate controled cupholders and limited edition rims...

how many accounts do you have? 5 1/4 acre lots but i'm planning on having 100 by fall..

i almost feel bad because most of the time its hard enough to start without digging yourself a hole over your head... some make it some don't..... but some never gave themselves a chance

Nate

Thanks Barefeetny I alaways value your opinions. I was leaning toward the Ford, I still have to look them over real good and the feller has some others to look at. The Isuze is 10 years newer and has an electric lift gate, as well as Chevy running gear which I prefer, so Im still a little undecided, anyway were only talking about 2k difference.
I see these fellers in here with 50k rigs and I really dont see the point, these vehicles are prone to alot or scratches dings and dents etc.
Wish I could find that 500$ truck, you hit a hmoerun on that deal. I doubt I could buy lunch for some of the palyers in here for 500 bucks.

Sweet Tater
03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Im kind of surprised this isn't set up like Plowsite, where there's a forum just for bidding and estimating, and a forum for each manufacturer. That would solve alot of the BS posts, then you can just stay off those forums.
I'm just sayin.

umm Those forums do exist on LS.

mowing grass 1111
03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I agree in part that you have to learn some of the business the hard way...
BUT you also have to learn by asking some questions too. If we can't help others learn from our own mistakes that we made, what kind of industry are we?

and per above, a Pack fan in NE???? Might wan't to just drop that flag to the ground:)

nobody is saying its bad to ask questions , its just that most of the questions asked are questions that have been answered a hundred times before .. if people would just do a search ... hell you dont even need to search just read about 4-5 pages into the forum and you will see the same question answered 3-4 times... and some of this stuff is common sense but i guess that is in short supply these days

JeffNY
03-05-2008, 06:52 PM
umm Those forums do exist on LS.

alright, I found the bidding forum (not like everyone uses it) but im not seeing say... the eXmark forum

MOWEMJEFF
03-06-2008, 02:03 AM
If people didn't ask the same questions what would there be to talk about? Every thread might be 90% the same but you never know when that other 10% might pertain to you and change something about the way you go about business.