PDA

View Full Version : apples to apples, mulch to mulch

sicnj
03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
how much are you calculating for mulch for the flowers beds? I have been doing all my estimates using 3". I have been high on alot of estimates it looks like everybody else is putting down 1.5". I am also removing the old mulch to cut back on bugs, mold, and exposing the soil for amendments. I think im going to move it down to 2".

ACMiller
03-08-2008, 08:23 AM
I always estimate for the minimum of 3" you should always have that much for good coverage and weed control, If you are having to remove mulch maybe you could consider reconditioning what is there save yourself time and your customer some money and you still look good.

Atlantic Lawn
03-08-2008, 09:16 AM
If you have been using a good grade of mulch and have decent soil under it, then the mulch can be incorporated into the soil. No real need to remove it. If it's that red cr**, go ahead and remove it and explain to your client that mulch serves many purposes including amending the soil.

BeautifulBlooms
03-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Here is a formula that I like to follow, it works for most mulches but all degrade at slightly different rates. New bed with no mulch 3", every other year mulching 2" and every year topdressing 1". You will lose somewhere between 1/2" and 1" of mulch per year to decomposition. If you see a particular site starting to get to built up with mulch either around plants or on the house, then sell them on just turning the mulch. they sell attachments that can flip the mulch. It doesnt look as good when turned, but its better than choking out their plants. Whatever you do 3" is a good total to have at all times, so decide how thickt he mulch is to begin with.

You shouldnt ever have to remove mulch it will degrade. Talk about costly thing to do.