PDA

View Full Version : Need dump body help!!!

srl28
03-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Ok so I just picked up a new truck for this season and Im having trouble with the dump bed. (Bought as is from dealer so no help there and the dealer is no help anyway, wouldnt do business with again)

The body has a scissor hoist, single ram, electric over hydraulic hoist. power up gravity down. And thats the problem. It will go all the way up with no problem but after about 3/4 of the way up it wont come back down. It does eventually after someone jumps on the hoist while another holds the button down (i know, horrible idea) but what else can we do.

Any one have any ideas as to what is causing this or how we can fix it?? Dont want to replace the whole system. Pump is fine. Any help is much appreciated, dont know much about these hydraulics myself. :hammerhead:

barefeetny
03-05-2008, 01:23 AM
is it possible to move the rams mounting point on the body forward..

is this a true sissor lift as the whole body will raise up and down and also dump

post a pic or give me a little... its usually something silly

there is sometime a valve that releases the hydraluic pressure... if its not releasing all the way it will be slow..... like a floor jack thats only cracked a tad...

Gravel Rat
03-05-2008, 03:09 AM
It sounds like something is binding. Personally I hate scissor hoists they have no power and add too much weight to your truck.

I have a feeling it is the 12 volt pump has a problem too. There is a electric shuttle valve that lets the pressure return to the tank.

So is this a brandnew box ?

What brand of hoist ?

What is the length of the box ?

srl28
03-05-2008, 07:51 AM
ok 10 ft body. Not a true straight up and down scissor hoist bud the dump type. Body and hoist are rugby. Power up, gravity down. Where might the valves your talkin about be located and what would they look like and all?

Thanks!!

Landrus2
03-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Ok so I just picked up a new truck for this season and Im having trouble with the dump bed. (Bought as is from dealer so no help there and the dealer is no help anyway, wouldnt do business with again)

The body has a scissor hoist, single ram, electric over hydraulic hoist. power up gravity down. And thats the problem. It will go all the way up with no problem but after about 3/4 of the way up it wont come back down. It does eventually after someone jumps on the hoist while another holds the button down (i know, horrible idea) but what else can we do.

Any one have any ideas as to what is causing this or how we can fix it?? Dont want to replace the whole system. Pump is fine. Any help is much appreciated, dont know much about these hydraulics myself. :hammerhead:

Ok letís slow down a little here.
Ok be very careful doing work on the body. safety is a must a must donít go under that body, with out it been fully secured.

Ok lets start by greasing all points on the jack there are grease fittings, on the jack and jack housing get all of them once more secure that body, never loosen any hydraulic hoses with out a friend or a helper standing by .

Ok if you have no success here try this lower your dump body. put 5 to 6 bags of fertilizer all the way up front and secure them and raise the body you might not have enough weight to bring that body down. :waving:

Gravel Rat
03-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Well the junk hoist therory is out a Rugby hoist is one of the better ones.

The valves are on the electric pump. If you look on the pump there should be what looks like a starter motor bolted to a aluminum block. On top of the aluminum block there should be some celunoids with wires atached to them. That is where the shuttle for pressure/neutral/down return.

The way of testing if that is the problem have the body up crack the line if you can do it from under the truck even better. Anyhow if you crack the line and the body falls fast then you know its not the scissor linkage binding.

Money well spent would be get rid of the electric pump go with a PTO set up and have a separate small hydraulic tank and a cable operated shuttle valve.