PDA

View Full Version : Edging pricing?

03-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I am in the middle of bidding 200+ properties :hammerhead:

They want edging and mowing bids seperate- I can handle the mowing bids no prob.

But the edging bid is seperate-
edging done twice a yr, spring and fall. Bid on a per time price

Now with 200 plus properties I think figuring out a price per linear ft would be the best way, then I have a price I can put in a formula to be consistant. Most of the properties are between 500-4000 linear ft of edging.

I think I will figure it as (stop charge)+(linear ft x price per ft).

My stop charge will be $15, and I know the measurements, so I just need a fair price per foot. (I have a price in mind, but want to see what others charge)

Anyone else figure it this way?

03-04-2008, 11:31 PM
nobody uses a price per linear foot for edging?

RGM
03-04-2008, 11:40 PM
you charge time at you hourly rate

03-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Its kind of hard to judge time on XXXX feet, especially hard to figure it on 200 properties each when I have never edged them before. There must be some that charge by the foot.

I know that with sidewalk snowblowing it is usually bid at about 5 cents per linear foot, I am considering using this price.

03-05-2008, 12:19 AM
ok, maybe this will help, how much just to edge this? Its 4000 ft of edging total. It will be done spring and fall. Obviously mess from edging must be cleaned up.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/livelifedaily/fgosid_grampian43766086838.jpg

RGM
03-05-2008, 12:21 AM
what are you edging with

Valk
03-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Are you edging with your trimmer at all in b/tw those 2 scheduled edgings?

tamadrummer
03-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Dude do you have any idea how much of a pain in the butt it is going to be to get a fresh cut edge only 2x's a year? You need to charge A LOT by the foot or even more by the hour!!!!!

I would charge by the hour myself because the clean up will be crazy! No less than $60.00 hr and I don't know how many hours. Overbid it though! I essence you will be cutting a new edge every time you have to do it and it will be the same hassle each time. Why not just edge each property when you are cutting them weekly? It doesn't add that much more time.

barefeetny
03-05-2008, 12:33 AM
1 can easily walk 15,840ft in 1 hour...thats about 3 miles

how fast can you edge...about half your normal walking speed thats 7920 feet

your at 4000 feet plus cleanup.... go edge something and figure out how long it takes you to edge 100 feet... i would say 1 hour should cover you

03-05-2008, 01:03 AM
what are you edging with

Echo PAS-260, if I only get a couple of these 200+ edging jobs.

If I get alot of these bids-- probally 2 more dedicated edgers like the PE-230.

Are you edging with your trimmer at all in b/tw those 2 scheduled edgings?

The bid sheet calls for seperate bids for edging and mowing. If I do not get the mowing--- I will not even touch those edges with a trimmer. IF I get both the mowing and the edging bids, then I would hit them with a trimmer every now and then during the summer.

I have to be careful how I bid this because I do not want to be the guy that gets the edging but not the mowing. If I am that guy... Then I want it to be a price I am comfortable with.

Dude do you have any idea how much of a pain in the butt it is going to be to get a fresh cut edge only 2x's a year? You need to charge A LOT by the foot or even more by the hour!!!!!

I would charge by the hour myself because the clean up will be crazy! No less than $60.00 hr and I don't know how many hours. Overbid it though! I essence you will be cutting a new edge every time you have to do it and it will be the same hassle each time. Why not just edge each property when you are cutting them weekly? It doesn't add that much more time.

Its bid seperately, and not always awarded to the winning mower bidder. It must be bid by the job, they wont accept an hourly price.

1 can easily walk 15,840ft in 1 hour...thats about 3 miles

how fast can you edge...about half your normal walking speed thats 7920 feet

your at 4000 feet plus cleanup.... go edge something and figure out how long it takes you to edge 100 feet... i would say 1 hour should cover you

hmm I like your thinking, but I think 4000 ft/hr might be on the high side. That has me doing the whole job for about $100. Would you edge all that for $100 in the spring after heavy growth? (honest- not being sarcastic- I am curious if thats what it may go for?)

03-05-2008, 01:06 AM
It may not be clear in the pics- The parking lots and the sidewalks must be edged. All those parking lots have a curb surrounding them that must be edged.

slowleak1
03-05-2008, 01:12 AM
curbs are easy. run through them with the edger, come back with a line trimmer just to knock it all down off the curb, then use a snow shovel to scoop it.