PDA

View Full Version : Ok a serious newbe question for a change

bigw
03-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Here is a serious question that id like to know...I pretty much have all the major equipment needed to run my business.
But what i'd like to know as a new guy is what are all the little odds and end things that i may not even be thinking of that i probably would want to have in my trailer for the season? Can you guys name some of these things so i can make sure i am prepaired...Thanks! This should be a good question since i havent seen it asked 6 x a day.

03-05-2008, 12:01 AM
A Camera. All the time, in your pocket, or never farther then the dash of the truck.

kleankutslawn
03-05-2008, 12:08 AM
sun block and plenty water

smcunningham
03-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Make a list of everything that will be in your trailer and truck
-Tools
-Medical Kit
-Extra Strap
-garbage bags
-ect.ect.ect.ect.
Make a list so we can see what we think you might need to include on you rig.

EagleLandscape
03-05-2008, 12:13 AM
tools tools tools. extra belts, blades, grease, bungee cords and duct tape, hose clamps, always carry enough gas. trimming string and edger blades.

barefeetny
03-05-2008, 12:55 AM
a few spools of masons string. and a bucket of 1"X1"X24" stakes.....diffrent colors... i would never leave home without them

A couple cans of hornet spray

extra pens and paper

extra buisness cards

Extra socks

RGM
03-05-2008, 12:58 AM
tire pump plugs and patches

bigw
03-05-2008, 02:17 AM
so far alot of these are great and things probably most of us new guys wouldnt have thought of...thanks keep them going im building my list as i deem important to me!

topsites
03-05-2008, 04:41 AM
Unless you have one and due to price I would skip on major things like digicam and GPS for now, but you DO need all that knick knack emergency stuff...
So all that stuff that guy said with belts / tools etc and in addition to that:

- A tool box for the back of the truck, the big behind-the-cab kind, they're pricey so see if you can find one used.
- A can of fix-a-flat, do it, it also serves as compressed air in a pinch to inflate a flat whether it leaks or not.
- An inner tube for the Wb's front caster! Also a fix-a-flat kit for tubes.
- A small 12v $20 compressor.
- Decide now on a one grade of oil, make it 10w-30 or 10w-40 or whatever but decide on a universal grade, then TWO quarts of that extra. If your truck leaks buy a whole case.
- A gallon of already mixed 50/50 antifreeze (don't carry pure with you if you need water).
- A can each of brake fluid, power steering fluid, transmission fluid.
- A can each of starter fluid, and wd-40.
- A spool of string for the trimmer.
- A crowbar, a hammer, and an adjustable wrench.
- A flat and a round edge shovel, a rake, a tarp, a loppers.
- Condoms, goes in the glove compartment, not for what you might think. These are mostly used for stopping inquisitive folks rummaging around your truck or asking STUPID questions (hey what's this, what's over there, etc etc) yeah...!
- A universal spark plug either Autolite 5224 or Champion RJ-12YC.
> Won't work for handhelds, but does fit most mowers and US-made v8 gas trucks.
- Jumper cables, and if you got spare money a jumper boost box.
- A 100 FOOT tow rope or chain! See about buying a tree climbing rope, these are expensive but whatever it has to be super sturdy, to be used for pulling the mower out the ditch should you ever get it stuck.

Later you will need (but wait until you do because you'll need specific parts):
A PCV-pipe leak patch and fix kit (these are build-yourself, buy at lowe's / HD under the plumbing section, used for fixing sprinkler system pipes WHEN you crack one lol).

lifetree
03-05-2008, 07:46 AM
- Condoms, goes in the glove compartment, not for what you might think. These are mostly used for stopping inquisitive folks rummaging around your truck or asking STUPID questions (hey what's this, what's over there, etc etc) yeah ... !

topsites -- ROFL ... couldn't understand at first, but now I do !!

tknoel
03-05-2008, 08:25 AM
All good stuff. I also carry a fire extinguisher in my truck at all times.

Big C
03-05-2008, 10:31 AM
I also keep a small 3 ton jack and a jack stand on my trailer.....The last thing I want is to be 20 miles away from home and not be able to change a flat due to lack of proper tools and jack, and have to leave your equipment filled trailer on the side of the road unitil you can return with the proper tools/jack....I also carry fix-a-flat for my mower.

StihlGreen
03-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Read the Thread entitled "TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy"

I know it is a TON of reading but it has nearly everything you need with you in your truck(s).

APV's Mowing
03-05-2008, 08:16 PM
alsoooo a small cooler filled with ice and wet rags are a nice little treat on HOTT days(((and BEER))) :drinkup:hahaha!!!!
pocket knife
yard waste bags are good too
an empty painter bucket is good for picking up trash on the property also

Itzkcatz
03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Bee spray!!

bill8379
03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Extra pair of safety glasses, those trimmers are deadly and if you lose your glasses you're taking a big chance.

A come along would be handy to get a big mower up a ramp if it's not working.

bill8379
03-05-2008, 09:32 PM
One more thing, a pylon to keep people from blocking your ramp.

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-06-2008, 01:10 AM
on my mulch truck i always keep a set of cable splice repair parts, i always hit cable lines, even when staying away 5 feet both ways from the cable box (i use a bededger and do in front of the box with a king of spades edgin shovel) , never fails, and when a customers cable goes out for more than 10 minutes you can bet youll be on their crap list for a long while

lucky the fios wires are in a pvc tube!

i also second the tire plugs and compressor, by far the biggest prob i have out on the road is tire flats or holes

also keep an extra blade for each machine and an adjustable or 2 to get them on and off, you never know when youll hit something and bend one up