PDA

View Full Version : Don't laugh but is this trailer okay?

soloscaperman
03-04-2008, 11:30 PM
I started my business last fall and I have about 6 accounts. Lowes sells this trailer and was wondering that if I get more lawns and I upgrade trailers down the road and from a 2003 Exmark 48 inch to a Exmark riding mower will it fit? Will I have problems with my Chevy 1500 1994 with a level kit and off roadng tires. What height hitch?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=145557-15476-4X6XG&lpage=none

Thanks guys, I know its a small trailer but I think its smart starting small and slow so there is no over head and payments. I will prolly never sell my walk behind because I'm the second owner and the first was an older guy that waxed it and put tire shine on it, lol. This 15HP walk behind is mint. Plus we save our favorite things like our weed wackers and street bikes and your fav car, lol.

bigw
03-04-2008, 11:33 PM
I started my business last fall and I have about 6 accounts. Lowes sells this trailer and was wondering that if I get more lawns and I upgrade trailers down the road and from a 2003 Exmark 48 inch to a Exmark riding mower will it fit? Will I have problems with my Chevy 1500 1994 with a level kit and off roadng tires. What height hitch?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=145557-15476-4X6XG&lpage=none

Thanks guys, I know its a small trailer but I think its smart starting small and slow so there is no over head and payments. I will prolly never sell my walkbehind because Im the second owner and the first was an older guy that waxed it and put tier shine on it. This 15HP walk behind is mint. Plus we save our firs things like our weed wackers and street bikes and your fav car, lol.

Seriously what ever it takes but IMHO i would not buy that trailer,i would be afraid of it breaking down or not being big enough,im sure for another few hundred dollors you can find a nice used trailer.

Turf Commando
03-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I never slander anyone on here. I believe if you call local trailer dealers you can find better, stronger, sometimes cheaper prices then shopping big box stores...also never buy any trailer with mesh floor bad idea...!

soloscaperman
03-04-2008, 11:44 PM
But if I buy this trailer it will only be for two years and not alot of highway use. Max weight isn't that much but its good for my walkbehind. I would say this trailer is able to handle 55MPH-60MPH on the highway.

JDUtah
03-04-2008, 11:47 PM
But if I buy this trailer it will only be for two years and not alot of highway use. Max weight isn't that much but its good for my walkbehind. I would say this trailer is able to handle 55MPH-60MPH on the highway.

I personally would go find a used one. But the feeling I get is that your mind is made up already. Good luck to you! :clapping:

American_Lawn
03-04-2008, 11:48 PM
That is what I had last season without the ramp. The mesh sucks. Look on craigslist for a used one. I highly recommend it. If you get that you will wish you didnt. Dont waste your money. I had to replace my floor with 2 layers of mesh after a few weeks of mowing. BEWARE!!!!! Try and get atleast a 5x8 or 5x10. Trust me....

Turf Commando
03-04-2008, 11:51 PM

I have seen that exact trailer in person, checked it out, it's weak ...you didn't mention size of walk-behind. Anyways the wire mesh floor isn't a floor period, it will buckle under load sooner or later probably, within the year...

Raven386
03-04-2008, 11:52 PM
just cut a piece of plywood and bolt it to the mesh, if you leave it be, the mesh will eventually start to bend and you will have a dip in between the support bars...

-i see your from the area solo. There is a trailer store in Bpt on Main St by St. Vincents Hospital. owner seems like a nice guy, we stopped there 1 time to ask him about fixing the trailer. his prices seemed reasonable.

RGM
03-04-2008, 11:53 PM
If that is all you can afford its OK for a walk behind not sure about the rider just cause its rated for 1650 that is a max you don't want to be up there if you want it to last

LindblomRJ
03-04-2008, 11:55 PM
I think I would pass. 1: its built cheaply. 2: It looks to be too small and you would likely out grow it quickly.

The 12" tires are OK for jet ski trailers, not really useful for utility trailers.

CALandscapes
03-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Spend a couple of hundred dollars more and get yourself a 5x8 - 6x10. Get something that will hold up the two years you plan on using it. Trying to save yourself a couple of hundred dollars right now could turn in to you having to buy another new trailer in 6 months..

soloscaperman
03-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Wow you guys are quick and helpful. Thanks. Keep the advice rolling in.

Turf Commando
03-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Wow you guys are quick and helpful. Thanks. Keep the advice rolling in.
Here's more.
Most important things are
(1) Good commercial mower
(2) Good blowers, trimmers, tools etc...
(3) Good trailer no Lowes or Home Depot ones sorry
(4) Reliable truck or van or whatever works...!
Now your ready get busy....Joe

topsites
03-05-2008, 04:13 AM
No that POS is too flimsy and it will fly apart on you probably in the first month, if it lasts 90 days I would be surprised. Because it's not made for that, homeowners use that kind of trailer maybe once a year, that's what it's for so don't buy it for our kind of use.

You're not saving money this way, you'd only be wasting it.
Save up more money by NOT buying that one, even if you have to wait another year.
But get a trailer that lasts and get the right one to begin with, then you have something that lasts 10-12 years minimum!

See because I still have the first one I bought :)
And it's the only one I ever bought, no regrets.

Stillwater
03-05-2008, 05:06 AM
What topsites said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lifetree
03-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Along with many others on this thread, I think you would be making a mistake to get that trailer ... it's not commercial grade !!

Landrus2
03-05-2008, 06:43 AM

Thanks guys, I know its a small trailer but I think its smart starting small and slow so there is no over head and payments. I will prolly never sell my walk behind because I'm the second owner and the first was an older guy that waxed it and put tire shine on it, lol. This 15HP walk behind is mint. Plus we save our favorite things like our weed wackers and street bikes and your fav car, lol.

You will have no problem with your truck towing that trailer.:waving:

larryinalabama
03-05-2008, 07:20 AM
I never slander anyone on here. I believe if you call local trailer dealers you can find better, stronger, sometimes cheaper prices then shopping big box stores...also never buy any trailer with mesh floor bad idea...!

Lowes is way too high on trailers, check a trailer dealer you can buy alot or trailer for just a little more $

Nozzleman
03-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Waste of money. You can buy a fairly new 6X10 or 6X12 for under $1,000 if you look around. I know you think saving a few hundred dollars on a trailer is a good idea. However, in the long run you end up losing money when you realize a bigger trailer is needed. I started with a little 4X8 tilt trailer from Home Depot. I sold that for a real 6X10 landscape. Sold that for a 6X14 tandem axle landscape trailer. Sold that trailer when I took a leave of absence out awhile back. Now I'm looking for another trailer to re-enter the game. Remember, the guy's here have already done what your thinking. Learn from there mistake's and keep the money in your pocket.

GravelyNut
03-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Now that everyone else has had a say, I'll stick in my $.02. Check for that same trailer at Northern Tools or TSC before buying at Lowes. Mine is now 3+ years old and while the mesh floor has sagged, that is all that has been wrong with it. My trailer is actually a 2000 lb GVWR trailer. It is 1650 lbs for the load. Pics are in http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=218716 . And it just made 2 100 mile round trips with 5 miles of each trip over a rutted rock road. Load it to 1000 lbs GVW or even 1500 GVW on top of a sheet of marine grade plywood and it should last up the 2 or 3 years you want out of it. TSC has it at $389.99 listed at http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_33983_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

And mine wasn't bought for what it has been used for. It was bought to haul a 10KW welder/generator. And I planned to enclose it. Wanted the mesh on the bottom for cooling air during a hurricane.

jkason
03-05-2008, 04:12 PM

That trailer is made by Carry-On. Decent trailers (just not the one you posted).

Some models are also available at a Tractor Supply or the old Agway stores.

or go to their website - http://www.carryontrailer.com/

kjslawn
03-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Find a dealer spend an extra 100 and you will be happy. Always buy commercial equipment. Trailer included

Cutting 4eva 21
03-05-2008, 06:58 PM
I would not recommend you getting that trailer,my first trailer i got was from Leonard truck accessories it was a 5x10 i paid 700 cash for it. it had the mesh floors and it didnt do to bad at first i soon replaced it with wooden floors i think it was 120 for the wood and the bolts. I use a 42 inch z and a 32inch wallbehind and it does fine. What im saying is dont buy the 4x6 you will run out of room quick. Find a used one around your area.

Nozzleman
03-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Waste of money. You can buy a fairly new 6X10 or 6X12 for under $1,000 if you look around. I know you think saving a few hundred dollars on a trailer is a good idea. However, in the long run you end up losing money when you realize a bigger trailer is needed. I started with a little 4X8 tilt trailer from Home Depot. I sold that for a real 6X10 landscape. Sold that for a 6X14 tandem axle landscape trailer. Sold that trailer when I took a leave of absence out awhile back. Now I'm looking for another trailer to re-enter the game. Remember, the guy's here have already done what your thinking. Learn from there mistake's and keep the money in your pocket.

Soloscaperman, in my above qouted post I said you could find a trailer for under a $1,000. Today I purchased a 2006 6X12 trailer with a landscaper basket, trimmer rack, and toolbox for $700. Trailer is in good shape except for one light needing replacement. Keep looking.

levithan9
03-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Thats the same trailer that I have....except for the ramp. I welded on a ramp, and this weekend, i am going to weld on some angle iron to make the mesh last longer and not sag so much. It works for what i need. I don't have a ZTR or anything that big. I can load 2 push mowers, my 2 trimmers and 2 blowers on it. everything else goes in the back of my truck. But like others have said, it may not be for you.

Lawnworks
03-05-2008, 11:38 PM
I am getting this used one for $550. Only 5 months old and practically new.

RLTimbs
03-05-2008, 11:52 PM

I actually own this trailer. I use it for towing my quad.

Its a good trailer for what I use it for.. and I usually go about 65-70 on the highway..

If all you are using this for is a walk behind.. I would say its good to go. But to make it stronger I would go get a good piece of plywood (treated) and bolt it down to the mesh. That would make it alot stronger.

I also love how people on this site.. makes comments just off there opinion. An opinion that doesn't matter 90% of the time.. because you guys have never used the trailer personally.

If all you plan on using this for is that walk behind.. buy the trailer and get a 3/4 inch thick piece of plywood and bolt it down to the trailer. I guarantee you it works just fine. But make sure it is treated wood.

YardBoss Lawncare
03-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Look at the photo link in my signature. There you will see a 5x8 trailer bought at Lowes with the same weight rating as the one you are thinking about buying. I added expanded metal sides and a longer tongue on mine, and yes, a sheet of 3/4 plywood bolted on top of the expanded metal floor. I haul a Scag Tiger Cub on mine and last year a Hustler Fastrac 65 miles an hour down the highway with my Dodge. I'm like these other guys when it comes to commercial grade equipment (in case the pictures in my link doesnt tell you that). My opinion is if it's what you can afford right now then go for it. I know it will hold up. That's not what I would be concerned with because mine has definitely held up. I would be more concerned about out growing it. But, if you think that's not an issue at the time, get it. You can see what I did with my little "big box store" trailer.

YardBoss Lawncare
03-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Page 6 of my photo thread is where those pics are.

jkason
03-06-2008, 10:23 AM
I also love how people on this site.. makes comments just off there opinion. An opinion that doesn't matter 90% of the time.. because you guys have never used the trailer personally.

I've SOLD this trailer at the retail level. Customers that have purchased it have called to say that the mesh comes off after a while.

You can bolt a sheet of plywood in with fender washers to forestall the breakage.

RLTimbs
03-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I've SOLD this trailer at the retail level. Customers that have purchased it have called to say that the mesh comes off after a while.

You can bolt a sheet of plywood in with fender washers to forestall the breakage.

Well it's pretty much a "no brainer" that the mesh will come off sometime or another.

But if you get a treated piece of 3/4 plywood... It will last 10x longer. Hell you could even buy some bigger pieces of wood. Just like the heavy duty trailer have.

YardBoss Lawncare
03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
You guys are making way too big of a deal out of this.

Lawncop26
03-06-2008, 07:19 PM
I have seen that trailer at another retail store, even looked into buying one for the same reasons as you, luckly, I talked with a employee and he said that they are cheap for a reason, most likely the axle will go, many brought back for that.

GravelyNut
03-06-2008, 07:45 PM

News flash about mesh. It doesn't matter who builds it or where it is ( deck or tailgate) , it still breaks loose if that is all you have and you move a max load on it. And that includes trailers that cost thousands of dollars. Expanded metal was never designed for concentrated loads. Nine times out of ten there are not enough welds put in to hold it or there is too large an unsupported area. Even solid metal decks sag. Putting the wood down spreads the load contact point and that is what keeps it from breaking free.

TandM
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
I bought my 6x14 for 1000 dollars. It is grate for hauling debris and mulch on You will need a bigger trailer. I am putting High sides on mine for mulch work. get at least a 6x10

LawnGuy73
03-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I would look at your local trailer dealership, instead of a hardware store. You wouldn' go to Macy's for a tool kit, why go to Lowe's for a trailer.

TXNSLighting
03-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Ha! sorry i laughed. no i dont think its ok... its better to invest in the bigger trailer that will last you longer.