PDA

View Full Version : playground

agr682
03-05-2008, 03:35 PM
What is the best reccommended grass varieties for areas that are extremely high traffic such as playgrounds? Synthetic would be the best route to take, but that will probably be out of their budget. we are located in central TN, so we are can use some warm and cool season grasses. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Marcos
03-05-2008, 04:05 PM
We're probably too far north to give you sound advice, but up here most sports field guys on a "low budget" will use something like a 90% 3 or 4 way turf type tall fescue blend, combined with 10% (usually 2 types) of a proven aggressive Ky bluegrass.

(A 90:10 fescue/ bluegrass ratio by weight is actually very close to an ACTUAL 65: 35 fescue / bluegrass ratio by seed count, which, of course, is the true determining factor !)

I look for all my seed I buy...starting by looking at the previous year's NTEP results, and then picking varieties from the top 15-20 performers from the region's closest university Ag testing plots :

http://www.ntep.org/

But in TN...
You may be looking at Bermudagrass....and rye overseeding...I dunno.

Look at NTEP first, regardless, when looking for the best performers, no matter where you're from in the USA.

agr682
03-07-2008, 09:04 AM
it seems to be depending on the year. Historically a tall fescue blend with the bluegrass works well and it does in most of my residential lawns, but the last couple of years we have been hotter and alot drier than normal. then when you add all the added traffic from the kids at daycare during the summer, the fescue can't take it. I may have to go with a bermuda and rye overseeding. thanks

Marcos
03-07-2008, 10:36 AM
it seems to be depending on the year. Historically a tall fescue blend with the bluegrass works well and it does in most of my residential lawns, but the last couple of years we have been hotter and alot drier than normal. then when you add all the added traffic from the kids at daycare during the summer, the fescue can't take it. I may have to go with a bermuda and rye overseeding. thanks

I'm surprised no one else from the southern part of the transition zone hasn't chimed in with some more apropos advice for you, by now...

What type of turf species do you have in there right now ??

agr682
03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
When they rebuilt the playground here they used what looks like ky31 because of the price. I doubt they consulted a lawncare pro or anyone when the sewed the grass. Now there is mostly weeds and bare dirt that has eroded from around the concrete track and walkways. I am bidding on bringing in dirt and leveling the ground up and seeding or sodding the grass. I was going to give them a couple of options, for I am not sure of their budget.

Marcos
03-07-2008, 01:49 PM
When they rebuilt the playground here they used what looks like ky31 because of the price. I doubt they consulted a lawncare pro or anyone when the sewed the grass. Now there is mostly weeds and bare dirt that has eroded from around the concrete track and walkways. I am bidding on bringing in dirt and leveling the ground up and seeding or sodding the grass. I was going to give them a couple of options, for I am not sure of their budget.

Yeah...you need to look for somebody else on this site closer in proximity to you for advice.

You may also want to give Lesco a call.
They work with lots of schools, sports fields, cemetaries, etc...in addition to lawn care fertilizer co's, and the rest.
I'm pretty sure they have a store in Nashville, and probably Knoxville.

Just go to this site :

http://www.lesco.com/

... and enter in your zip code for directions to the nearest TN store.

RD 12
03-07-2008, 05:46 PM
How big is your play ground? At my park we layed a good base of peat gravel then topped it with a pine mulch (we get it from a local saw mill).

AgriCut™
03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
What is the best reccommended grass varieties for areas that are extremely high traffic such as playgrounds? Synthetic would be the best route to take, but that will probably be out of their budget. we are located in central TN, so we are can use some warm and cool season grasses. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

LaPrima-XD, it's the best and is suitable for use throughout the Bermuda grass zone of the world. Perfect choice for any high-end turfgrass project, including golf tees, fairways and roughs, sports fields, parks and commercial landscapes and premium lawns.

Marcos
03-10-2008, 04:12 PM
LaPrima-XD, it's the best and is suitable for use throughout the Bermuda grass zone of the world. Perfect choice for any high-end turfgrass project, including golf tees, fairways and roughs, sports fields, parks and commercial landscapes and premium lawns.

Hmm...

I don't even see "LaPrima-XD" listed on the 2006 NTEP results.
Who is the grower ?

"LaPrima" appears to be a secondary marketing 'name', using LaPaloma seed from Seed Research of Oregon as a component.

I pulled this site...which shows the relationship between the "LaPrima" marketing and "LaPaloma" bermudagrass, which does show up on NTEP.ORG

http://www.bermudagrass.com/info/paloma.html

tteckster
03-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Hmm...

I don't even see "LaPrima-XD" listed on the 2006 NTEP results.
Who is the grower ?

"LaPrima" appears to be a secondary marketing 'name', using LaPaloma seed from Seed Research of Oregon as a component.

I pulled this site...which shows the relationship between the "LaPrima" marketing and "LaPaloma" bermudagrass, which does show up on NTEP.ORG

http://www.bermudagrass.com/info/paloma.html

Here,

LaPrima-XD (http://www.seedland.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Seedland&Category_Code=BER-LAPRIMAXD)

Marcos
03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Here,

LaPrima-XD (http://www.seedland.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Seedland&Category_Code=BER-LAPRIMAXD)

Yeah...just like I said.
Look and see. LaPaloma bermudagrass makes up a % of LaPrima....(24% of this specific offering). And I'll bet there's some 'variance allowance' in the %'s from lot to lot, too. That happens up here in the north, at least.

So therefore 'LaPrima-XD' is not a specific bermudagrass variety, but rather a blend of bermudagrasses, that uses the 'La' prefix to highlight the fact that LaPaloma, a high NTEP performer, is a component of it.

And I'm not a southern grass guy, but my experience in always "working with numbers" of varieties in northern cool season grasses; tells me that any offering that has a blend of stronger, proven NTEP performers like 'LaPrima-XD' shows it has in it; certainly has to be a premium product.

AgriCut™
03-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah...just like I said.
Look and see. LaPaloma bermudagrass makes up a % of LaPrima....(24% of this specific offering). And I'll bet there's some 'variance allowance' in the %'s from lot to lot, too. That happens up here in the north, at least.

So therefore 'LaPrima-XD' is not a specific bermudagrass variety, but rather a blend of bermudagrasses, that uses the 'La' prefix to highlight the fact that LaPaloma, a high NTEP performer, is a component of it.

And I'm not a southern grass guy, but my experience in always "working with numbers" of varieties in northern cool season grasses; tells me that any offering that has a blend of stronger, proven NTEP performers like 'LaPrima-XD' shows it has in it; certainly has to be a premium product.

Yep, you are absolutely correct, it's a blend. I'm unaware of any new varieties of "sports turf" coming out, only blends to enhance and strengthen heavily traveled/played areas.
For us, LaPrima-XD seems to be a very good blend, which holds up very well in heavily played sports complexes.