PDA

View Full Version : Up and running for $10,000. How did I do?

TheTurfTender
03-05-2008, 05:27 PM
OK, I decided on the Toro 44" Walk Behind Hydro -

Here's how my initial investment breaks down (what do you think?):

These are not EXACT but very close

PC & Printer $ 650.00
Commercial Lawn Mower $ 2,900.00
Weed Eater
(Using my own Resi
model - Yikes!)
Blower $ 315.00
Rake X 2 $ 20.00
Shovel $ 0
Trailer $ 500.00
Truck $ 4,100.00
Marketing $ 1,000.00
2000 Door Hangers
Adwords - Searchmarket
Local Ad in Paper for 8 weeks

Web Site $ 50.00
Merchant Account $ 300.00
Boots $ 65 .00
Safety Equipment $ 50.00
Green Software $ 80.00
Accounting Software $ 180.00
Truck Decals (Not Yet) $
Hand Edger and
other misc Tools $ 65.00
$ 10,275.00

So my sig will soon look like this:

94 Chevy 1500
6.5 X 11 Converted Camper Trailer
With High Side and Plastic Toolbox
2007 44" Toro WB Hydro
Stihl BR 340
Some Shi**y Trimmer

Cool, now if someone could just hand over 20-30 accounts in my neighbor hood I will feel really good about it all. I think I am going to do the door hanger thing starting next week. I have no idea how long it will take, but I am giving myself a month!! The newspaper ad starts in 2 weeks, and the Adwords thing almost seems like a rip off at this point, but well give in a month or 2!

Site is www.theturftender.com

I have one of the corniest tag lines on the forum.

Any you guys use service magic?

Ok I will go I feel the ADD coming on.

Wait, how many people with ADD does it take to screw in a light bulb?

I don't know, do you want to go fishing?

Take care,

Brandon

Indy Kyle
03-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Let's see a pic of that converted camper trailer.

Grounds Maint.
03-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Thats a pretty decent website you have for $50 dollars. Did you have someone else make that for you?

TheTurfTender
03-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Those axels hold at least 12 pounds!!

TheTurfTender
03-05-2008, 06:29 PM
No, I am not taking the police bike with me on jobs. The couch might not be a bad idea though.

TheTurfTender
03-05-2008, 06:30 PM
No, I did it.

LushGreenLawn
03-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Its a start... Some guys will bash you about some of your stuff. but...

I started with a residential trimmer, it lasted about 3 months (Servicing 15 accounts per week). Its ok to get you going but think about getting a cheap echo, even the $299 once you have a few dollars coming in, it will at least get you buy for more than a year. Do not use a curved shaft model, it will kill your back and you will not be able to get under trees.

I would also like to see a pic of the converted camper trailer.

Also, your going to want some form of year round advertising. Spring is when you will pick up most of your clients, but will get them throughout the year also. People switch because their not happy, guy stopped showing up, ect.

How much are you paying per click for ad-words?

greenbaylawns
03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Nice, looks like it should be able to handle the top speed in a residential neighborhood :) Just messing with ya. I think you should get some work with all the work you have put into getting started. I started with a $75.00 Craftsman weedeater and it got me through 20 accounts a week. Good Luck!

Blueribbonlawns
03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
post up some pic's of the converted camper trailer id like to see this!!

hackitdown
03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Well done. I like it all. Use what you have til it breaks, replace what breaks with better. Glad to see that you are really thinking through the marketing.

I need to know more about Adwords. I don't understand how it works or how much it costs.

I use Service Magic. It works for me. I limit my leads to mowing in my town only, it keeps out the crappy leads.

Now my question...does that trailer have a ramp? How do you get your mower on/off?

kleankutslawn
03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
now that you have the basics,lets go make some money!!!

TheTurfTender
03-05-2008, 07:24 PM
NO RAMP. A buddy of mine and I are trying to figure out a way to get a ramp on there. All of the side rails are removable, but the tail lights are in a spot where ramp placement is going to be tough. For $480 bucks it was hard to beat though!

For Service Magic, Do you have an auto email go to them or do you try to call them quick? Did you pay the $100 set up fee?

Adwords is pay per click. You have to write a decent ad and bid on your positioning in the sponsored results for google. You don't pay unless you get clicks. I have had about 2 clicks so far and 1 phone call for snow removal. Thing is, she saw me on craigslist first!!

ffemt1271
03-05-2008, 09:33 PM
go to www.response-o-matic.com and you can make a free estimate form, they click your "estimate" fill out the form (checkboxes if you like) and it sents it to youe e-mail

you can make any form-totally customized by you first one is free, then you have to pay for more, i think there is three packages.

you can check mine out at www.deepsouthlawn.com click "estimate"

i just ask that in your address just put "TEST":usflag:

hackitdown
03-06-2008, 07:50 AM
NO RAMP. A buddy of mine and I are trying to figure out a way to get a ramp on there. All of the side rails are removable, but the tail lights are in a spot where ramp placement is going to be tough. For $480 bucks it was hard to beat though!

For Service Magic, Do you have an auto email go to them or do you try to call them quick? Did you pay the $100 set up fee?

Adwords is pay per click. You have to write a decent ad and bid on your positioning in the sponsored results for google. You don't pay unless you get clicks. I have had about 2 clicks so far and 1 phone call for snow removal. Thing is, she saw me on craigslist first!!

Some trailers have a ramp on the passenger side, maybe that would work.

I paid Service Magic $100 up front, but they applied it to my first $100 in leads. It seemed fair. I have the lead go to my cell phone as a text message. I call the customer immediately. Since all the leads are for mowing, and are within 6 or 8 miles of my house, I can usually go look at the job within minutes or hours. I then call the customer back with a price asap.

SUREURITE LAWN CARE
03-09-2008, 12:38 AM
I like the web site, But, check the spelling on front page. fully liscensed. should say (fully license,Insured, and bonded). Other than that, it looks good.

RWS
03-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Good job, good luck this year.

echeandia
03-09-2008, 08:41 AM
You could have done a little better on the trailer. Good luck with it.

TheTurfTender
03-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Thank you!

I made the correction on the home page! That looked a little trashy ;)

As far as the trailer is concerned, I know there are better ones out there. I just don;t think there is much better for $480!!

S&MLL
03-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Whos truck is that in the plowing picture? Doesnt look like a 1994 to me haha.

TheTurfTender
03-10-2008, 09:06 AM
LOL, That's not my shovel either!