PDA

View Full Version : Well here is a flower bed wall that i built today.

bigw
03-05-2008, 07:30 PM
This is the first time i ever did a wall,its 5 course's high and steps up on the left end to 4 coure's,everything is perfectly level and now i have to fill it with fill dirt and then mulch.
By the way this is my house and my wife wanted to keep the big bush so i worked around it :laugh: their was 2 other ugly ones their before i started but i cut them out. How's it look?
I was really impressed since i never did one before and i did it completley on my own. Im sure its not a big deal to all you hardscape pro's but to a newbe it was nice to see the finished project. My wife loved it!! By the way i cam up 1 1/2 blocks short but will go get it tomorrow!

bigw
03-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Can anyone tell me the correct way to figure out how much fill dirt i will need to fill this bed up,i will be putting dow 4'' of mulch also.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
03-05-2008, 07:45 PM
What is the square footage and depth.

hackitdown
03-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Looks really good. You may need to rethink that lattice under the porch. Are you putting a capstone on top as a final course?

The correct way to figure how much dirt...I think that would be Geometry. But I took geometry 29 years ago, so, ahh...2 yards.

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-05-2008, 07:46 PM
looks good Big W, measure your wall then go to the mulch calculator its in the tool section of lawnsite put in your numbers and it will tell you how much mulch to put down.

bill8379
03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
If you fill it won't those bushes die? I thought I read about that in the hardscaping forum.

dKoester
03-05-2008, 07:56 PM
What did you charge for that project?

DoetschOutdoor
03-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Its at his own house so Im guessing he didnt charge much...looks good. Did you get the info needed to build that from this site?

IndyChad
03-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I bet Big W sold himself on that project! Did you just go with that gut feeling when you sold that to yourself? Man Big W I have taken up for you in some other threads, but do you really have to start a thread about everything you do in a day? I feel like every time I get on lawnsite that half the threads are started by you. I do hope you do very well, but man I do not need to know what you ate for breakfast this morning before you went out and sold a $30 lawn for $198. I feel like I am reading the cliff-notes to the movie Boiler Room. We know you are a good salesman and I hope most of us are since that is the biggest key of owning a business and gaining market share. I hope I am not coming off as an a**hole, but almost 800 post so far this year. Ease up!!!

bill8379
03-05-2008, 09:12 PM
No don't, keep posting.

bigw
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I bet Big W sold himself on that project! Did you just go with that gut feeling when you sold that to yourself? Man Big W I have taken up for you in some other threads, but do you really have to start a thread about everything you do in a day? I feel like every time I get on lawnsite that half the threads are started by you. I do hope you do very well, but man I do not need to know what you ate for breakfast this morning before you went out and sold a $30 lawn for $198. I feel like I am reading the cliff-notes to the movie Boiler Room. We know you are a good salesman and I hope most of us are since that is the biggest key of owning a business and gaining market share. I hope I am not coming off as an a**hole, but almost 800 post so far this year. Ease up!!!

Why do you care about what or why i post? If you dont like to read my post then dont, atleast i keep this place interesting. I didnt know i had a limit to the amount of posting i could do.
I think most of my post are pretty interesting......this is the stuff that really pisses me off,why couldnt you just say if the wall was good or not,why did you have to right away find something to ***** about? Give me one reason why i should ease up on posting?? you have nothing better to do then to worry about my post. Im sorry i botherd you today !!!

Whitey4
03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Serious problems here. The lattice won't hold soil, and will start to rot if it's wood. Some erosion retention, of any kind should have been used in front of the lattice. That shrub is going to die. You can't just trim the bottom and fill in with soil. It should have been removed and replanted at the new soil level.

It looks nice enough right now, but it' fundamentally unsound.

barefeetny
03-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Dubya....

the construction looks good... whitey is right with the lattice and the shrub...

maybe you can square off the wall before you reach the shrub and do something with the lattice.... it does look good though....Its a learning experience..

post all you want... it beats the which ztr and gloves should i get threads...

Nate

KS_Grasscutter
03-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Looks real good. I am probably going to do a 2 tier landscape border type thing for one of my customers. Hope it turns out as nice as yours:)

Clapper&Company
03-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Wall Looks good!

Keep posting LOL

schunklawn
03-05-2008, 10:32 PM
good work...i'd say about 1.5 yards at 3-4 inches...hey 800 post in 3 months is impressive (potential lawnsite senior)...lol lol...just messing with ya man:drinkup:

No Bunk Lawn Care

PerfectEarth
03-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Nice job on the wall construction itself, but you did not need a wall there. It looks out of place with the rest of the house and you've created a grade problem with backfilling it. Your soil will end up being graded back towards the house. That bush will have to come out- no doubt about it. It just looks odd...

BUT, again, nice job on the wall construction- it looks good and you can apply what you've learned to a paying job!

1MajorTom
03-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Lose the top course, and go with a 4 inch bullnose or split face cap. Custom miter each one as you go, keeping your joints nice and tight, and it will give it a true finished look.

Matt

customcurbdesigns
03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Looks good.

A little off topic, is that a house or townhome? Only reason I am curious, where do you keep your equipment and you said you put a sign in your yard, do you have a pic?

1MajorTom
03-05-2008, 10:57 PM
BigW is more than welcome to make posts here. His threads that he starts are not out of line, and it does seem people enjoy reading them. Threads like these are great. Who doesn't like looking at someone elses work, seeing their advertising materials and their equipment. BigW has freely shown us all of that. Can't complain about that.

bigw
03-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Serious problems here. The lattice won't hold soil, and will start to rot if it's wood. Some erosion retention, of any kind should have been used in front of the lattice. That shrub is going to die. You can't just trim the bottom and fill in with soil. It should have been removed and replanted at the new soil level.

Well this is why i post on here,to get advice and learn. To be honest i never even took the lattice to mind before building the wall,i just new i wanted to do something and this is what i did. So anyway now that its done and im not taking the wall down how about some suggestions on what i can do about the lattice and the plant? I could cut the plant out thats really not that big of a deal i guess but the wife likes it.
The lattice is plastic and couldnt i put like a half solid plastic lattice dirt high and the other from the dirt up? Actually the porch is shot so that is going to be redone this summer. Dam and to think i was so proud of myself after seeing the finished wall and now you guys have rained on my parade..lol.

No really thanks for the input i guess the lesson for me is to LQQK at the other factors involved before you just start building huh?..Well id appreciate any advice on this...put it this way what would you do if your customer called you and said here is a job i want done and you can not take the wall down..how would you fix the problem of the lattice and the bush?...Thanks everyone,oh and one more thing i didnt get a single call today.:cry:

bigw
03-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Nice job on the wall construction itself, but you did not need a wall there. It looks out of place with the rest of the house and you've created a grade problem with backfilling it. Your soil will end up being graded back towards the house. That bush will have to come out- no doubt about it. It just looks odd...

BUT, again, nice job on the wall construction- it looks good and you can apply what you've learned to a paying job!

I respect your opinion but i personally think the wall looks great their,atleast in person it looks nice and everyone else that saw it thought it looked good. i know i did not "need" a wall their..who ever Needs a wall,you do it for apperance not out of need around a flower bed.
I agree about the bush but the wife wants it to stay for now anyway,it may not look so bad once i finish and plant other things.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Can anyone tell me the correct way to figure out how much fill dirt i will need to fill this bed up,i will be putting dow 4'' of mulch also.

You really only need 2-3 in. of mulch ..IMHO..bank that extra cash

bigw
03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
BigW is more than welcome to make posts here. His threads that he starts are not out of line, and it does seem people enjoy reading them. Threads like these are great. Who doesn't like looking at someone elses work, seeing their advertising materials and their equipment. BigW has freely shown us all of that. Can't complain about that.

Wow thank you!

ed2hess
03-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Good idea but the wall is too high, take off the top two rows and use them another place. Then you could keep the lattice like it is or put row in back to hold the soil.

bigw
03-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Good idea but the wall is too high, take off the top two rows and use them another place. Then you could keep the lattice like it is or put row in back to hold the soil.

I will have to figure something else out, i am not lowering the wall for 2 resons, 1 i like it that high and 2 i glued the top 2 course's.

bill8379
03-05-2008, 11:52 PM
How about pressurized plywood on the porch and then put the lattice over it to disguise it? Quick, cheapish fix till you redo your porch and build another wall section.

bigw
03-05-2008, 11:52 PM
hey guys couldnt i just take the plant out and then just use something like pressure treated wood or what ever to cover the height of the dirt in the back? I mean for real its only like a foot or so high that will actuallywill need to be coverd in the back,the ground slopes toward the front!

bigw
03-05-2008, 11:53 PM
How about pressurized plywood on the porch and then put the lattice over it to disguise it? Quick, cheapish fix till you redo your porch and build another wall section.

lol we must have been typing at the same time.

Bluestem
03-05-2008, 11:55 PM
..how would you fix the problem of the lattice and the bush?

Regarding the shrub, the problem you are going to have is with suffocating the root system. Root systems grow primarily within the upper few inches of the soil because they need oxygen (a small percentage of roots are for anchorage only and grow more downward) . This is true with trees as well, so keep it in mind if someone wants you to build a planter box around a tree or something in the future. Adding four inches of soil will kill the shrub or any other tree or shrub you do it to. The only viable solution if you want to save the shrub is to dig it out and replant it at the new level after you have put your fill in.

bigw
03-06-2008, 12:00 AM
..how would you fix the problem of the lattice and the bush?

Regarding the shrub, the problem you are going to have is with suffocating the root system. Root systems grow primarily within the upper few inches of the soil because they need oxygen (a small percentage of roots are for anchorage only and grow more downward) . This is true with trees as well, so keep it in mind if someone wants you to build a planter box around a tree or something in the future. Adding four inches of soil will kill the shrub or any other tree or shrub you do it to. The only viable solution if you want to save the shrub is to dig it out and replant it at the new level after you have put your fill in.

I believe you and understand but then why do these Lco's pile mulch around and up agaisnt the bark of trees like 2 ft high...isnt that not good for trees?

barefeetny
03-06-2008, 12:01 AM
dubya

on the design side.... you have nice brickwork.... you might want to follow that same theme down below....

you could build a small tie wall where the lattice sits and move it upwards or brick the back wall.... there are some amazing patterns you can make with just some brick....do a google search...

if you want to go that high lose the bush or brick around it.....

it takes some time..... i built some god awful ugly stuff and not even correct in my own yard.... but its how we learn without looking like tools in front of customers...

bigw
03-06-2008, 12:08 AM
looks good Big W, measure your wall then go to the mulch calculator its in the tool section of lawnsite put in your numbers and it will tell you how much mulch to put down.

I need way more then 4" of dirt and the calculator only goes to 4"

Bluestem
03-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I believe you and understand but then why do these Lco's pile mulch around and up agaisnt the bark of trees like 2 ft high...isnt that not good for trees?

Actually, I'm glad you brought that up because it drives me crazy. Mulch in general is okay because it is not tightly compacted like soil - oxygen penetrates mulch fairly well as long as you don't go overboard. It is NOT good to pile mulch against the trunk of a tree because it holds moisture against the trunk and promotes rot. It can be close to the trunk with no problems but it should not be against the trunk. Also, anything over about 4 inches is too much. I'm a certified arborist and trees are a big part of my business.

bigw
03-06-2008, 12:09 AM
What is the square footage and depth.

the wall is 34 feet long and the height is right around 18"

bigw
03-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Its at his own house so Im guessing he didnt charge much...looks good. Did you get the info needed to build that from this site?

actually no i just did it on my own,i had to do some thinking when it came to stepping up the wall but other then that i was ok.

bigw
03-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Actually, I'm glad you brought that up because it drives me crazy. Mulch in general is okay because it is not tightly compacted like soil - oxygen penetrates mulch fairly well as long as you don't go overboard. It is NOT good to pile mulch against the trunk of a tree because it holds moisture against the trunk and promotes rot. It can be close to the trunk with no problems but it should not be against the trunk. Also, anything over about 4 inches is too much. I'm a certified arborist and trees are a big part of my business.

Yeah well around here everyone stock piles mulch like 2ft sometimes even higher around trees and i think its stupid. just go to any store or business like banks in my area and you will see what i mean. I swear some guys do it because they think it will prevent them from having to pull weeds or something i dont know :confused:

Bluestem
03-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah well around here everyone stock piles mulch like 2ft sometimes even higher around trees and i think its stupid. just go to any store or business like banks in my area and you will see what i mean. I swear some guys do it because they think it will prevent them from having to pull weeds or something i dont know :confused:

I hear ya. I see mulch volcanoes all over the place here too. :) I'm sure it takes care of the weeds. It just looks like a big waste of mulch to me.

schunklawn
03-06-2008, 12:31 AM
can we get back to the way this site used to be...lets not all be buddy buddy and lets talk about business and not get soo personal...i want to learn and share my ideas also...this is taking all the fun and learning experience away for me...i'm not trying to make friends i want to get better...

P.S. don't glue another one of your walls(especially your first) :nono:

No Bunk Lawn Care

Turf Commando
03-06-2008, 12:45 AM
big w Nobody likes a post (Wh%r e) but at least you make a good one...:waving:
I usually never go by post counts anyways it doesn't always equal GREEN knowledge .
However, thanks for keeping things lively on here ....Love your work so far...Joe

bigw
03-06-2008, 12:45 AM
can we get back to the way this site used to be...lets not all be buddy buddy and lets talk about business and not get soo personal...i want to learn and share my ideas also...this is taking all the fun and learning experience away for me...i'm not trying to make friends i want to get better...

P.S. don't glue another one of your walls(especially your first) :nono:

No Bunk Lawn Care

What are you talking about?Who got personal in this post? Also i wanted to glue the top courses so when kids cut across my lawn as i am on a busy major corner i wont have to worry about it getting knocked down, i did not glue it until i was sure i liked it and it was good...now did i miss the lattice problem sure i did but i still would have glued it regaurdless once i decided to keep it the way it is which i did.

bigw
03-06-2008, 12:49 AM
big w Nobody likes a post (Wh%r e) but at least you make a good one...:waving:
I usually never go by post counts anyways it doesn't alays equal GREEN knowledge .
However, thanks for keeping things lively on here ....Love your work so far...Joe

Thanks buddy...yeah half these guys complain about me but i bet they cant wait to read my post everyday because they know its always exciting or informative.

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-06-2008, 01:01 AM
looks like you were out there workin hard :clapping:

wall looked nice, you really notice it coming down the road

1MajorTom
03-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Back to the caps. That wall is in dire need of them.
Here is an example of my work, notice the caps especially on the curved back wall. And here's the saw you need for the miters. And dont forget the wet attachment for the saw. Keeps the dust down, and keeps the bling on the blade cool.
Matt

btnj47
03-06-2008, 01:02 AM
I think it looks good too . maybe a little too high but put cap on it for sure and you wont see those pie cuts in the top . also back fill against the wall with 3/4 stone then soil and mulch

bigw
03-06-2008, 01:04 AM
looks like you were out there workin hard :clapping:

wall looked nice, you really notice it coming down the road

Hey thanks buddy it was nice meeting you today even though it was for like 2 secounds lol, all i heard was im silverstreak...i was thinking who the hell is this nut..lmao By the way see how close i am to that job you were bidding on?

bigw
03-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Back to the caps. That wall is in dire need of them.
Here is an example of my work, notice the caps especially on the curved back wall. And here's the saw you need for the miters. And dont forget the wet attachment for the saw. Keeps the dust down, and keeps the bling on the blade cool.
Matt

yeah but these are totally different blocks then what you have their,these are only 4x9", the guy at the block compnay said you do not need to cap these. Also these are angled like a V so a straight cap may not look right. What do i know though im just repeating what the guy at the block place told me.

RLTimbs
03-06-2008, 01:24 AM

You do know this is why the forum is here.. right?

It's a community.. share info, ideas, projects, etc etc

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-06-2008, 01:25 AM
yeh i see what you mean i woulda stopped awhile but i had to check out some other work over there at that condo complex before dark

they want to rip out the pool

Whitey4
03-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Bigw, sorry, I didn't mean to be so abrupt. This is fixable. Removing the dirt from the lattice work and installing some pressure treated wood,some 2X4's as a soil retaining wall would work. If the prorch is going to come down soon, then even a triple ply plastic would be OK to hold the soil back for a couple of years.

The shrub can still be removed, and replanted at the new soil line. It may be a little large there, but it can still work with a good planting design IMO. As far as the brick work goes, I don't think it looks out of place at all... it's neat and clean, nice work with that. I'm no expert on hardscaping, but that's my opinion. I might look for another location for the evergreen, and start with a clean slate. Even moving it to the back end since it needs to be removed anyway would likely have more visual appeal, with smaller plantings in front of it.

I like the basic design, and I like the brickwork. Do something with the shrub, and get some soil erosion in front of the lattice, and it will be fine.

bigw
03-06-2008, 01:30 AM
yeh i see what you mean i woulda stopped awhile but i had to check out some other work over there at that condo complex before dark

they want to rip out the pool

So did you get the job what kind of bid did you have to put on it?

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-06-2008, 01:51 AM
i wont know for a week or 2 yet, they have their board meeting tomorrow morning to revew prices, i bid @ 650 a cut.....we will see, i lost another one i bid on for that same company, its about the same size and the winning contract went for a whopping 450 bucks, 200 cheaper...they want the cheapest mow and go possible ...and for me to bid 6 pain in the butt acres of turf for 450 plus a 35 min drive from hatboro isnt gonna happen

the place is so cheap they dont want to pay for a lifeguard anymore so they think it will be cheaper to demo the pool and turn it into grass rather than pay for the guard & pool upkeep....so i think ill be pulling my hair out with this place if i do get the work :laugh:

bigw
03-06-2008, 01:59 AM
i wont know for a week or 2 yet, they have their board meeting tomorrow morning to revew prices, i bid @ 650 a cut.....we will see, i lost another one i bid on for that same company, its about the same size and the winning contract went for a whopping 450 bucks, 200 cheaper...they want the cheapest mow and go possible ...and for me to bid 6 pain in the butt acres of turf for 450 plus a 35 min drive from hatboro isnt gonna happen

the place is so cheap they dont want to pay for a lifeguard anymore so they think it will be cheaper to demo the pool and turn it into grass rather than pay for the guard & pool upkeep....so i think ill be pulling my hair out with this place if i do get the work :laugh:

Yeah that sucks and thats why i think im going to stick to mostly residentials and small commercilas. The bigger ones seem not to pay good and seem to be big pita's. Ive been getting some big clean ups and mulch jobs lately. I just got one mulch job of 20 yrds for a res, i will make a nice profit on this! Hey if you are ever around again stop by ill buy you lunch or something and we can chat.

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-06-2008, 02:02 AM
sounds good, what are you paying for black and for tripleground mulch? who are you buying off of?

bigw
03-06-2008, 02:11 AM
sounds good, what are you paying for black and for tripleground mulch? who are you buying off of?

23 for triple and 25 for black at stone depot.

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-06-2008, 03:01 AM
gotcha, i get it from the guy who supplies the pleggi brothers (the stone depot guys) but to telford hed prolly wanna only deliver 20 yards or more

triple 14.50 and black 18.50 from victory gardens...his retail yard is in warminster but he has a farm he runs triaxle loads out of in quakertown

Indy Kyle
03-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Wall looks good dubya but the bush has got to go. It's kinda fugly. I'd bet ya if you replaced that bush with something else she'd like it. Just surprise her while she's at work, she'll love it. Trust me, iv'e been married for like 9 months or something.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Big w
I am going to say 3.25 yards of TOPSOIL you could use a 1.25 yards of FILL DIRT first then then rest would be TOPSOIL. That should leave you with plenty of room for mulch and not be at the top edge. Looks good by the way.
Off topic maybe you should change your screen name to BIG POST. LOL Keep it up.:waving:

tufguy100
03-06-2008, 04:25 PM
i agree with indychad every time i go on this site bigw is telling you what he ate for breakfast what he ate for lunch when he walked the dog every job he did come on im doin this 15 years we dont need to know you woke up at 7am had two sugars blah blah.....your new lets see if you even make 2 years:hammerhead:

1MajorTom
03-06-2008, 05:32 PM
i agree with indychad every time i go on this site bigw is telling you what he ate for breakfast what he ate for lunch when he walked the dog every job he did come on im doin this 15 years we dont need to know you woke up at 7am had two sugars blah blah.....your new lets see if you even make 2 years:hammerhead:
You've been a member for almost a month, and you have one post. Now if everyone was like you, we'd all be sitting around here twiddling our thumbs waiting for someone to post, waiting for something to read. Two ways to look at this.
Btw, welcome to Lawnsite, now you got your first post out of the way, feel free to post some more. :)

paul vroom
03-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Nice work...

tufguy100
03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
You've been a member for almost a month, and you have one post. Now if everyone was like you, we'd all be sitting around here twiddling our thumbs waiting for someone to post, waiting for something to read. Two ways to look at this.
Btw, welcome to Lawnsite, now you got your first post out of the way, feel free to post some more. :)

major tom ive been around listening for over a year just decided to join i like to listen not talk to much but i mean come on i know hes new but to tell us every little thing well see though everyone thinks its easy when its all new equip and new jobs hell learn i guess also thank for the welcome one pa guy to another

bigw
03-06-2008, 09:52 PM

Look here you freaking dope , i am getting sick of you non helping, non contributing nothing but complaining bums always whining like a bunch of little girls over my post!
First of all i never mentioned one time anything i ever ate and all of my post have to do with what this forum is about so if you dont like them why dont you go play with some other little girls,maybe you can skip rope or something. As far as me making it 2 years you wont have to worry about that, i rarely fail at what i set out to do! Now go grab your rope and skip over to Indy chads house im sure she is waiting for you....Tufguy!

bigw
03-06-2008, 10:17 PM
By the way guys i did take that plant out of the bed today,roots and all.The wife gave the ok to get rid of it so now ill start fresh,i also tied in the wall to go along the back where the plant was.Thanks for all the compliments and for those that got annoyed by my posting this post you know what you can do and if you dont just ask!

tufguy100
03-06-2008, 11:41 PM
By the way guys i did take that plant out of the bed today,roots and all.The wife gave the ok to get rid of it so now ill start fresh,i also tied in the wall to go along the back where the plant was.Thanks for all the compliments and for those that got annoyed by my posting this post you know what you can do and if you dont just ask!

big im ashamed your from pa and maybe if you ever ran a buisness you would know better than telling every one ever dollar every job as far as making it they all say that your all gung ho know but when its 90 out and your behind cause of rain or broken stuff well see then

old oak lawn
03-07-2008, 01:03 AM
big im ashamed your from pa and maybe if you ever ran a buisness you would know better than telling every one ever dollar every job as far as making it they all say that your all gung ho know but when its 90 out and your behind cause of rain or broken stuff well see then

i am ashamed you are a member of lawn sight. good post 3 when you need help just ask and hope someone is not a ass like u. if u dont loke his post dont read them. that simple. now go out side and jump rope.

tufguy100
03-07-2008, 01:07 AM
i am ashamed you are a member of lawn sight. good post 3 when you need help just ask and hope someone is not a ass like u. if u dont loke his post dont read them. that simple. now go out side and jump rope.

do you have bagger on that jd z turn and do you have any trouble with it

bigw
03-07-2008, 09:04 AM

You are ashamed about me being from PA have you met yourself lately? Oh and as far as it being 90 degree's out or things breaking or the rain, Are you kidding me?
I have been through alot tougher times in my life then any rain or anything breaking on me can compare with.You would think that being from Pa instead of being a jerk towards me youd want to help out a hometown guy but know youd rather sit back and read my post and jump in when you see the chance to get a dig in.
You dont know me from a can of paint and if you ever met me you would not have this ignorant opinion of me and you sure as hell would not be talking all of this BS to me!:nono:

Budget
03-07-2008, 09:44 AM
bigw,
Wall looks great, nice job there.
I used to live in Montgomery county about 6 years ago.
Where abouts are you on the map?
I don't mind your posting either so keep on asking.

txgrassguy
03-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I would suggest loosing the top course of block because from the curb in front of the home the wall will unbalance that corner of the house.
Cap the wall with the low profile cap stones, mitering the joints so they butt correctly without a mortar seal and make sure to use an adhesive to keep the cap stones in place.
To really set off the bed interior, try emplacing a washed type river stone with different patinas/color patterns. This will draw attention to and accentuate the colors of the interlocking block, the red brick and the green turfgrass. Best of all, once the stone is in place, the bed becomes virtually maintenance free - no more mulch needed, and clean up from plant trimming becomes very easy.
Overall, a good start.
Here in Texas, for bidding purposes, a wall like that starts at $18 per block foot, not linear foot to five courses. Beyond five courses the footer requirements change thereby raising the price per block foot to around $23 or so depending up dimensions/soil re-enforcement steps necessary.

Elite LawnCare
03-07-2008, 02:01 PM
keep postin buddy I have fun reading um haha. I almost called you one day I seen your number on here.

old oak lawn
03-07-2008, 11:16 PM
do you have bagger on that jd z turn and do you have any trouble with it

no bager on any of the mowers now but will get one for the lesco or deere end of the year for leaf removall. we do mostly large lots so bagging grass is not for us. cut it and send it back. so i dont know much about a bagger at this time. and sorry if i was short with u on my last post its just that u were putting down big w when all he did was start this trend to show us his work. so no hard feelings. good luck this year.

tufguy100
03-08-2008, 01:58 PM
ya i was a little rough on the guy it just seem like evey thread is from big w i been doin this for15 years for gov and 5 on my own hard to remember when i first started if interested in powerflow for deere i would look close at the way there mountes real close to ground and ive had nothing but trouble i thing its bad design

old oak lawn
03-08-2008, 11:51 PM
thanks. i will look out for that. its always good to here it from someone that has used one.

Big Bad Bob
03-09-2008, 04:35 AM

And what did you use for a base? Not just the soil, I hope. And you will kill the bush. I would have removed and replaced it.
You did get the wall level though.

MOWEMJEFF
03-10-2008, 01:40 AM
If he keeps talking about what time he had his first coffee then gripe about it on that thread. This thread was a picture of his work so it can be picked apart to LEARN from. Not everyone has Daddy over their shoulder telling them what to do.

RLTimbs
03-10-2008, 11:02 PM
If he keeps talking about what time he had his first coffee then gripe about it on that thread. This thread was a picture of his work so it can be picked apart to LEARN from. Not everyone has Daddy over their shoulder telling them what to do.

We have a lot of assholes on this site..

If you have not noticed.

MOWEMJEFF
03-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm confused are you saying I'm an a$$hole? My problem is with the people who want to talk smack to the guy for posting pics.

RLTimbs
03-13-2008, 04:37 AM
I'm confused are you saying I'm an a$$hole? My problem is with the people who want to talk smack to the guy for posting pics.

Wasn't talking about you.

Just saying that there are alot of assholes here. You not being 1 of them though.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
08-24-2008, 12:23 AM
what i need a pic of the work

bigw
08-24-2008, 12:27 AM
what i need a pic of the work

JUST POSTED NEW PICS OF THE FINISHED PRODUCT