PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a new guy..

Giragosian Landscape
03-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey guys!
My name is Andrew and i am from Plaistow, NH. Currently i run a small landscape business that is usually just mowing accounts and maintenance. Right now i have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma towing a single axle doo little (77x12) with a zt, wb, and push mower along with a few weed whackers and back pack blowers. I'm currently attending school up at the University of New Hampshire and during the work year i have about 6 accounts. I also work with another guy out of Haverhill, Mass to get more experience in the work field. My question is to you guys, is how did you all get started? How did you make your money and gain your experience? Just curious...

Thanks!
Andrew

mowerbrad
03-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I started out at age 10 mowing neighbors lawns with our little rider. I started out with just 2 accounts and then expanded from there. Now I am 17 and still am doing it and don't plan on stopping. I keep expanding every year. I have a client base of about 35 and do about 20 weekly, hopefully more this year. The best way in my opinion to gain experience is just to get out there and do it. I went from having a small 28in rider to now a 52'' ztr.

mike plummer
03-07-2008, 12:29 AM
got 65 experience is the best just never give up 30 yoa

esparzalandscaping
03-07-2008, 01:11 AM
i started mowing lawns with my brother when i was in highschool... we used to do about 12 lawns on saturdays... he used to do other stuff (planting/mulch/patios) while i was in school... once i graduated we passed out about 150000 flyers and picked up about 100 lawns that winter... been growing since then. We have about 400 customers now who we do lawn maintenance for, we also do everything from brick paving to mulch and planting.

Turf Commando
03-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Worked with a lawn service for a few months, doing lawn mowing, then fall clean up.
Discovered, I was a natural operating equipment and figured, I'd rather be my own business, then working for him at $8 hr, doing all the work..

I had some prior experience in yard work during my adolescence, after all my father was very convincing on why, I should mow the family lawn ...LMAO..

RGM
03-07-2008, 01:59 AM
I started when I was a 12 and cut with a push mower for a couple of years and bought a tractor the 3 year when I was 15. I would tow my mower behind the tractor I did it till I was 16. I got a car and decided I wanted to work in the real world. When I turned 30 I wanted to work for myself so I got me a push mower and a little pick up and put out flyer's and talked to everyone I knew I got so many customers (was not charging nearly enough) didn't know what to do went to my parents and drug out the old dynamark tractor worked on it and used it that year. The next year I bought a 48" snapper walk behind and the rest is history.

PearceLawn
03-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Got laid off from Kodak after 12 years and decided no one was going to decide my fate from now on. Started 11 years ago and never looked back.

Good luck to you and stay in school.

Giragosian Landscape
03-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks man, Hows your ford ranger edge holding out on ya with the towing?

Andrew

lawnpro724
03-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I started out by working for a large landscape business for a couple years after I go out of high school doing everything from patios, walls and general maintenance. I learned what to do and what not to do and applied this knowledge to my own business.

greenleaf1
03-08-2008, 06:26 PM
my business partner and i got started with just a crazy idea last yr. we borrowed a yardman pushmower, craftsman blower and weedeater from my dad. and my partner had a old craftsman push, homelite weedeater and blower. we drafted up a very extensive business plan, got a small buz loan for about $2500, bought and old dependable ford truck and started to pass out flyers. we ended up mowing over 500 yards and buying all brand new equipment. we some mistakes last yr but learned an awful lot. this yr we've already put in 7 bids for commercial accts and even have some returning cust's. we can't wait to come out swinging this yr.

hackitdown
03-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I was given an early retirement (26 years too early) from a corporate job, with no severance pay or pension. So I bought a mower and trailer and spent lots of money on advertising. When I showed up at the first customer's house, I learned how to do it. On the job training.

I did mow lawns as a kid with my dad's 21" push mower.

PearceLawn
03-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks man, Hows your ford ranger edge holding out on ya with the towing?

Andrew

It tows awesome!! I plow 61 drives and two lots with it too. Have had it for 4 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

N.H.BOY
03-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Welcome Andrew, N.H. here also, up in the Tilton/ lakes region area, check us out in the networking forums here, good luck and hope you stay dry down in the southern part of the state:clapping: