PDA

View Full Version : dang if I do dang if I don't

Mike M
03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Biz was slow last month, I have rsvp's and a local upscale renovation mag ad going out this month.

I need to pay off credit cards and make my mortgage payments.

My CPA says forget landscaping service focus on lighting, Billy I know your opinion. Anyone got suggestions? I did well in Dec/early Jan, should I stay the course and focus on lighting 200%??

This can be best answered myself, but I know a lot of you guys are in the same situation or have been there.

I can't wait for ad response, since I need to advertise landscaping now in early March. A few weeks will make a big difference.

Mike

klkanders
03-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Dang me....Dang me...why dont ya take a rope and hang me.....
Ithink its been said before about not putting all your eggs in one basket. In my opinion if you have landscape jobs u could do now and or advertise maybe at a lower cost to get them...do it .....dont give it up as a service. If you get too much lighting work coming in then politely turn down other work saying u are booked too far out.
Like u said I think only u know what u will have to do!

pete scalia
03-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Forget about all of it and get a job working for the man. The economy is in the toilet. That's what the TV and newspapers say.

Mark B
03-05-2008, 09:50 PM
That is why I do irrigation service. But since we are in a drought who knows how great the irritation work will be this yr.

When I get in your boat I just start beating the streets and doing whatever I can do.
Heck I have even bought stuff and sold on craigslist and ebay, I did fairly good.

On a different note. I'm looking to get into the misting cooling systems.

So I would do the landscape work if I had to.

Pro-Scapes
03-05-2008, 10:24 PM
tune up that mower mike... we ran lawns for the last 2 years while still pushing for lighting. You gotta eat right ? Market your lawns in the upscale areas and ask to demo thier homes too.

i did high end maint work today. No matter how you slice it or dice it I made a great living and I wasnt behind a desk.

Mike M
03-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Forget about all of it and get a job working for the man. The economy is in the toilet. That's what the TV and newspapers say.

Okay Pete, you and I side by side as subway sandwich artists.

Lite4
03-06-2008, 12:24 AM
Mike,
I still do occasional landscape work for some of my old clients. Last weekend I did a spring cleanup. If the lighting is slow, the checks for the maintenance still put food on the table. Besides, if nobody buys lighting this year from you, their grass will still grow and have to be cut no matter what anybody thinks about our economy.

extlights
03-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Lighting can be inconsistant like that. I know around here there are always 1 or 2 months that it really slows down...besides the winter of course. I work in law enforcement as well as doing lighting...mainly for the benefits (plus it's recession proof!), but with my schedule I'm still able to devote 4 days a week to lighting myself, while my partner does lighting all week. We have never done anything but lighting alone, so sometimes you have to push yourself harder and do much more leg work if you don't have anything else to compliment your lighting business and bring in revenue.

The Lighting Geek
03-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Mike,

We all at one time or another do other things to pay the bills, especially when you ae transitioning to full time lighting. I do the jobs in front of me no matter what if I don't have lighting to do. I only advertise and promote lighting, and I am almost at the point that we have enough lighting. But I have only been full time lighting for 2+ years and it takes time to build.
Hmm. you said Subway and now I'm hungry....darn you! LOL

klkanders
03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Exactly....well said Tommy! Show me the money! Don't walk away from the money!

The Lighting Geek
03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Now that I think about it, I dunno if I want you two making my sandwich! I can see it now...LOL

Mike M
03-06-2008, 10:35 PM
What? I can't be an awesome sandwich artist? I'll freakin drop everything and go start training tomorrow just to prove my design/build skills in the ham and cheese arena.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-06-2008, 11:20 PM
What? I can't be an awesome sandwich artist? I'll freakin drop everything and go start training tomorrow just to prove my design/build skills in the ham and cheese arena.

I hear both Subway and Quiznos are hiring.... I would go with Quiznos, seems they put more 'art' into their product.

:)

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I'd get out of the house from morning till night. stay off the computer until evening and get a job at a landscape supplier. What a place to meet contrcators all day long. then at night go do your landscape lighting. Just until you get enough contacts and lead sources.

Good luck bud...its a tough market to get into...I grew up in lighting so it was the market I was to be in...I couldn't imagaine just getting into it...good luck again!