PDA

View Full Version : fist landscaping job

rcracer
03-05-2008, 10:17 PM
This is my first year and my first landscaping job so here are a couple of pics. I just cleaned out the beds and then put new mulch down and re stacked a few bricks. I had to break up some cement around one of the beds and then put paver stones back in their place.:usflag:

rcracer
03-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I did some more in the back yard. I will try to get some more pics up this next week. This was my first ever try at this so let me know what you think.:usflag:

1MajorTom
03-05-2008, 10:30 PM
In your second picture, it's always nice if you can give the bed a nice deep edge before installing the mulch. It gives it a clean look. Something like this.

PerfectEarth
03-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I would try a different mulch next time! That stuff does not look very good at all....

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-05-2008, 10:39 PM
I would try a different mulch next time! That stuff does not look very good at all....

I agree...What mulch are you using ?

stevenf
03-05-2008, 10:40 PM
looks like cypress...??? It will darken up a little. I think it looks good! Keep it up!

rcracer
03-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah it was cyprus the owner wanted a light colored mulch and that was the lightest color I could find. I never thought about putting a deep edge around the much. Thats why I ask for advice though and it is greatly appreciated. Thanks all the help and for the compliments.:usflag:

bigw
03-05-2008, 10:56 PM
In your second picture, it's always nice if you can give the bed a nice deep edge before installing the mulch. It gives it a clean look. Something like this.

Hey did you rent that edger or is it yours? How do you like the blue bird? I was seriously thinking about buying one.

rcracer
03-05-2008, 11:18 PM
So when you guys build a flower bed do you put the black weed guard down or do you just spray it with weed killer?:usflag:

SNAPPER MAN
03-05-2008, 11:20 PM
I weed the flower beds before putting down mulch and if you edge the beds before mulching you will set yourself apart from most of the competition.

1MajorTom
03-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Hey did you rent that edger or is it yours? How do you like the blue bird? I was seriously thinking about buying one.

This is the puppy you want. It's the Turf Teq Sidewinder. It's hydro, forward and reverse, and an array of optional cutting edges.

Matt

1MajorTom
03-05-2008, 11:34 PM
So when you guys build a flower bed do you put the black weed guard down or do you just spray it with weed killer?:usflag:

Neither. Edge it, weed it, and put down 3 inches of mulch.

rcracer
03-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I put 3 to 4 in of mulch down so at least I did one thing right. I have a stihl stick edger would that work or am I missing the big picture. Man and I thought it looked good. I was using this job as a learning experience.:usflag:

btnj47
03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
very nice whats one of those go for ? can you get it online ?

bigw
03-05-2008, 11:55 PM
This is the puppy you want. It's the Turf Teq Sidewinder. It's hydro, forward and reverse, and an array of optional cutting edges.

Matt

Is that as good as the brown bed edger? you know which one i mean right? What does that one cost?

1MajorTom
03-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Is that as good as the brown bed edger? you know which one i mean right? What does that one cost?
Maaannnn, you talking to me like I'm a kid here? ;)
BigW, I'm no tourist, I am your guide. :waving:
Sidewinder goes for around $3500
Never had an itch to demo the Brown.
Matt

RLTimbs
03-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Matt

god damn.. $3500 for an edger?

I do not cut lawns for a living. But I think edging looks very good. Whether it be around sidewalks or a garden. Pretty nice look to it

RWS
03-06-2008, 01:37 AM
nice job rcracer! take the constructive advice & keep on keeping on!
your doing great.

hackitdown
03-06-2008, 07:35 AM

I never use the black fabric. It makes for a mess in the future.

Regarding weeds, if they are big weeds, sometimes I'll send my guy to use roundup a couple days prior to the project, but using roundup is playing with fire. Otherwise, weed by hand. After you weed, edge, and mulch (I edge with a $10 hand edger) you can apply Preen over the mulch. Preen is a weed preventer.

You can charge for mulch, edging, weeding, and Preen. You can turn a basic mulch job into a nice project by selling the extra services.

Weekes
03-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I put 3 to 4 in of mulch down so at least I did one thing right. I have a stihl stick edger would that work or am I missing the big picture. Man and I thought it looked good. I was using this job as a learning experience.:usflag:

Looked good and it is good to learn ways to improve. Thanks for post I learned some from constructive posts.

rcracer
03-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the help everybody I appreciate it very much. I will try the edgeing first next time. Knowone ever answered my question about will a stick edger be enough to make a good edge around the flower bed.:usflag:

hackitdown
03-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the help everybody I appreciate it very much. I will try the edgeing first next time. Knowone ever answered my question about will a stick edger be enough to make a good edge around the flower bed.:usflag:

You can use a stick edger to make an initial pass, it will make a nice line, curved or straight. But you still have to dig out the material you cut off. I seem to always go back to a hand edger, I don't own a bedshaper.

Landrus2
03-06-2008, 06:34 PM

How much those a machine like that cost.:waving:

paul vroom
03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Did you get paid? Did the client like it? Did you ask if they would recomend you? Did you get Paid?

If you answered yes to question one and four then congrats, good job!

Dont be afraid to ask question three.

rcracer
03-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Well he has paid me half. I have went over the price like four times and he still wants to disect every little thing still. Hopefully I will get the rest of the money in the next couple of days.:usflag:

bigw
03-06-2008, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=RLTimbs;2192608]god damn.. $3500 for an edger?

I do not cut lawns for a living. But I think edging looks very good. Whether it be around sidewalks or a garden. Pretty nice look to it[/QUOTE

LOOKs great

bigw
03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Matt

Did not mean to come across like i was talking to you like alittle kid at all, i didnt know how long you have been in the business until i just checked your profile. now after seeing it im sure you know what you are talking about and i will be listening to you with big ears because its guys like you that give me hope to make it.

BeautifulBlooms
03-07-2008, 12:47 AM
I like the Brown edger but it certainly is a beast to pull against when putting a 6 inch bed shaping edge into the ground. You can also geta 4" blade that does the same thing just not as deep. We use the 6" for installing poly edging, 4" for just bed shaping.