PDA

View Full Version : Don't laugh but is this trailer okay? PART ll

soloscaperman
03-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the advice but here is my problem. I don't have any space in my garage for a bigger trailer and I don't really have room to fit a bigger trailer in my yard unless I leave it in my grandma's place but here house is about 20-30 miles away. I know I will out grow the trailer in about 12- 18 months but I just hate putting the 48 exmark up the ramps on my lifted chevy 1500. I had some close calls and it ruins your transmission belt.I had to push the mower up the wooden heavy ramps when the belt went on me and it took me an hour to push it in the truck and the customer was watching very embarassing,LOL. You guys are very helpful. I know I will make it in this business becuase I work for a guy that does 130 lawns a week and I run his business and his crew and im the only guy that lasted the longest (3 years)and he makes us work from 7AM to 7 or 8PM at night. I only get paid $12 cash!!!!!!!!!!! We work in the rain and I can use is new Exmark rider without ripping shots in the rain. Once I almost flipped the mower on my head and I will never do that sharp inlcine again. I drive his 2006 Ford 350 turbo, work on the mowers, and run the second crew for him.http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=145557-15476-4X6XG&lpage=none

cgaengineer
03-06-2008, 05:36 AM
That will work, but around here you can get a 5x8 or a 5x10 built better for around $700. Those sizes are not much bigger than the 4x6 but you will be able to put a 21" on the trailer as well.

Turf Commando
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I never said the trailer won't work, I said it won't hold up...!
If thats all you can afford or find then so be it, make it work out for you whatever, it takes to get feet off ground...
I don't blame you for not wanting to push wb up ramps into truck bed it's dangerous and a pain (Trailers, except no substitute) ....

Lawncop26
03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm new to this sight and dont know if this is allowed, try www.kaufmantrailers.com, they are very reasonable and will ship right to you. The axle WILL go bad on the Lowes one.

Lawncop26
03-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Sorry for the repost, but check on the 2000 and 3000 lb. trailers, they start at $650.00, one hundred bucks for piece of mind!!

Guzman Properties
03-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey buddy,

I think you already have your mind made up. Why are you asking for advice if your not taking it?

soloscaperman
03-06-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm just seeing what you guys are saying. I'm thinking about the tractor place in CT instead. And I didn't make my mind up yet.

cgaengineer
03-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Sorry for the repost, but check on the 2000 and 3000 lb. trailers, they start at $650.00, one hundred bucks for piece of mind!!

This is what I told him too. I have looked at those cheap trailers from Lowes, cheap made, but not a cheap price!

nherweck
03-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Check your local auto trader or AUTO RV magazine. Also check Craigslist.com. I found the 2 trailers I used to have through those. Around here, I could get that same trailer for about $450, or used for about $250. For the $500, you could get yourself a good used 5x10 or larger.

Just my .02.

wintergreenlawn&landscape
03-07-2008, 03:59 AM
I live in Ct. Buy an Anderson Trailer, theyre built to last years!! They sell them in Farmington on Rte 4 across from the driving range. You may pay around $800. However, you wont burn up an axel and the welds are commercial strength. They even weld cages around the lights etc so you dont bang them off while trying to load your machine in the pouring rain!!

topsites
03-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I honestly don't think one can run a good operation out of one's garage, not unless it's a 2-car garage and basically the whole thing is converted for the business... I think it might be all right for the first year but much beyond you'll start wanting things like an air compressor, a blade sharpener, and more equipment... Then, no matter what you do if you don't start planning on acquiring some space for parts back stock that's just asking for trouble, too.

I'm not saying you have to have this right away, certainly I didn't, but in the years to come I would check into an outdoor type of shed. Bigger is unfortunately better but you do want to have some kind of cover not just to keep things out of the weather but so you don't run into kinks with zoning regulations.

Unless you live in the country or you have acres of land surrounded by woods, most of us live in residential areas and at least where I live it's against the zoning regulations to run a commercial outfit in a residential zone (so much for the govt's supposed support of running home-based businesses huh?). But specifically it has to do with the amount of commercial equipment sitting outside, in plain view of the whole neighborhood, a few pieces is one thing but neighbors can get antsy once the yard starts to become littered with the stuff... Unless you live in a 'red' area lol and still folks have pride and for myself I found my own neighborhood isn't as red as I thought :laugh:

But in the meantime, what is wrong with parking the trailer in the driveway?
Get a big tarp to cover it up, or just keep it neat, I don't think the zoning board will get on your case unless you just have a mess out there... In 6 years I've had one complaint, thou I make it a point to keep things neat (and quiet).

I think some guys get a covered trailer for this reason, too, thou it's not the main reason.

soloscaperman
03-07-2008, 09:56 PM
I have a raised ranch and a two car garage. The trailer cant fit in the garage because of my camaro and my moms car also. The driveway is on a step hill so I cant park it there plus the cars will be in the way. Tractor company has a good one for 500 bucks and has a better rating. I have a grinder and a compressor. My girlfriend said I could park the trailer at her house but its kinda far away, unless I get lawns near that area. Thanks for the advice about which trailer. Later guys.

bill8379
03-07-2008, 10:24 PM
I bought a cheap trailer from home depot. As I was driving it home the back hinge fell off and the gate dragged on the ground. WAY TOOO cheap. All the bolts were loose, even some of the reflectors fell off. I brought it back and had to cancel insurance and went and bought a much more expensive trailer but it was all welded, had the big tires and doesn't shake the heck out of my mowers. It's galvanized steel.

LawnBoy89
03-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Where in CT do you live? You should just skip the step and buy my 6.5 X 12 trailer. Comes with greentouch trimmer racks and the weedwacker spool holder. It's red will match your chevy perfect and when you grow and get a ZTR you can fit that and the w/b instead of having to buy a new trailer and a new mower when you need to. I'm in East Haven btw