PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Oil Change Question

SpudsM15
03-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Guys, I have a 06 Duramax, kodiak 4500. Since I've had it only the dealer has done the oil changes for me. Main reason being this is my first deisel and was to busy doing other things to familierize myself with the engine.
I was wondering for a basic oil change is anything done differently for a deisel engine? compared to a gas engine? Is there anything else that needs to be done regularly that is not on a gas engine?
Thanks

GSPHUNTER
03-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Same as a gas engine except A LOT more oil.

Other things you should do regularly are external tranny filters on the allison, fuel filters, and other normal routine maintenance similar to other trucks.

Blueribbonlawns
03-06-2008, 12:30 PM
If i was you id purge it with some BP prouducts if im correct all you do is empty all of the BP container into the oil dipstick thing and let it idle for 15-30 min's and then go about your oil change it works really well cleans out the whole engine and gives you better hp i do it every time when i change the oil on my d-max good luck.

Nozzleman
03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I personally don't use any treatment products on my vehicles as I find it to be unnecessary and potentially harmful. My advice to you is to pick a quality oil and stick with it. I ran Delo 15w40 in my Cummins and liked it. Shell RotellaT is also a good diesel oil. Secondly, find out what the drain plug torque is and be sure to use a torque wrench on the plug. Third, use quality oil filters. Either OEM, Fleetguard, Baldwin, Wix, or Napa Gold would be my choice. Fourth, change fuel filters at the interval stated in the owners manual. Fifth, change air filter according to the restrictor gauge on the air box. Believe it or not, a slightly dirty filter cleans better than a new filter so don't over change it. Finally, put the money your saving by doing your own maintenance towards a vacation or something.

Landrus2
03-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Guys, I have a 06 Duramax, kodiak 4500. Since I've had it only the dealer has done the oil changes for me. Main reason being this is my first deisel and was to busy doing other things to familierize myself with the engine.
I was wondering for a basic oil change is anything done differently for a deisel engine? compared to a gas engine? Is there anything else that needs to be done regularly that is not on a gas engine?
Thanks

Same as a gas engine except A LOT more oil.and different oil.:waving:

02DURAMAX
03-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Same as a gas just more oil like everyone said...on a durmax you'll need 101/2-11Qts..thats what my duramax uses..and a lot biger oil filter too...i use the mobil M1-303 filter and Mobile 5W-40 Tubo Diesel Truck Oil..

ZX12R
03-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Here's a site for Duramax guys.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

SpudsM15
03-07-2008, 04:54 PM
What is the second oil filler tube for? This is what is throwing me off. One is on the side of the block by the dipstick the other is in the front of the engine by the belts