PDA

View Full Version : What to buy???

exmarkaholic
03-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Hello, I am just starting this lawn care business here in Houston TX I already have a trailer and I already bought some business cards to hand out but should I wait and see what kind of response I get to know what type of equipment I'm going to be buying.........I had in mine that I wanted to buy a Exmark 21", Exmark 26" and a Exmark 32" WB. And of course some of the other equipment. Please let me know what ya ll think, Thanks in advance!!

Raven386
03-06-2008, 01:29 PM
I dont think you need 3 small mowers... a 21", 32 or 36 & a 48"+ would be better IMO. I really don't see the reason for having 2 small push mowers.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-06-2008, 01:44 PM
What type of properties are you targeting? If you are going mainly 1/4 acre residential, a 32-36 WB would be a good idea. If doing postage stamp lawns only, perhaps you can get away with a 21" this season. Anything larger and you will be walking your beehind off without a little larger mower.

RGM
03-06-2008, 01:45 PM
I think you all ways need a 21'' if you have alot of yard with gates
you will need a 32'' or 36'' but if not a 48'' is the best to me for starting out. I had a 32 and they are a bit too long for me you have to be careful they scalp on hills and bumps if you don't.

danielslawncare
03-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I have been mowing for a while now and have found agood combo for my needs. i have a 60" deere and a 36"deere walkbehind for the tight areas and fenced backyards. If you go ztrak, agood 60" will do most of your jobs. i do small residential up to several acre plots with mine. it all just depends onwhat you will be mowing

exmark22
03-09-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm going to start this month.
Have you found pricing on Exmark 21's? I'm in the Southeast Houston area, and was leaning toward Exmark.

exmarkaholic
03-10-2008, 01:58 AM
yeah I got a price on the 21 for 1050.00 plus Tax!!! Tomorrow I am fixing my trailer I will be posting pictures soon, I'm still thinking on what to get---buisness cards? fliers? I really don't know what works best, I've seen that there's nothing better then going door to door, Thanks guys!!!!

exmark22
03-10-2008, 07:24 AM
I just ordered 500 business cards from Smart Resolution for $30. I didn't shop around, but that seems reasonable to me. I ordered lawn care invoices from them last year but I can't remember what I paid for them.

According to what I've read at this site, Exmark mowers are exceptional quality. That $1050 is scary though.

I will probably use my Tax refund for a residential 21" from Home Cheapo to start with. Many posts at this site warn of using residential mowers, but the one I'm leaning towards weighs 81 pounds compared to a commercial @ 120 lbs+. Also, the residential costs 1/3 as much as the Exmark.

Have you figured out what to charge for service yet??? I am just going to guesstimate and see what happens.

Atlantic Lawn
03-10-2008, 07:42 AM
A 22" Toro from HD and a good 48" walkbehind from Exmark will get you a good start. Plus their both red.

exmarkaholic
03-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey exmark, we would just have to learn as we go, sir!!!! It's nice to know I'm not the only one taking a shot at this!!!! Hope and hard work will get us through, Have you decided on a name for your buisness? I just got insurance and liscence Where exactly are you located? Heres my e mail just in case you have a job for me, lol!!! lvlexican_l3oy@mac.com......Thanx alot Atlantic Lawn

RGM
03-16-2008, 12:20 AM
I like the new Honda very nice mower great engine great cut but 2 blades to sharpen