PDA

View Full Version : Questions about constructing baseball infield

cleancutccl
03-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I have been asked to build an infield for a church that we do work for. The questions that I have are what kind of material to use for the baselines. I have been told to use limestone screenings. We are planning on excavating 6" of topsoil and replacing with the limestone screenings. Is this deep enough for proper drainage? The church doesn't want to put a ton of money into it because it will be mainly for a practice field and not a playing field, but they do want to do it correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

ncls
03-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Are you referring to the white lines that are used to mark the baselines? That is pulverized limestone. It is put over the topsoil infield.

cleancutccl
03-07-2008, 10:30 AM
No I'm talking about making an infield from a field of grass, making the basepaths from an existing field of turf.

RD 12
03-07-2008, 05:33 PM
I take care of a park W/3 fields and play about 150 plus games a year including practice. I would get a sod cutter and just cut around your bases and pitching mounds. It will give you a grass infield with alot less maint, rain outs etc. My base cut outs are 12x12 pitching mound and home plate 18 ft circles. I use a hard red clay base topped with sand.

cleancutccl
03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Would you excavate about 6" of soil around bases and then fill with clay or limestone base?

AI Inc
03-11-2008, 07:53 AM
This is baseball and not softball correct?

cleancutccl
03-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Would you construct the field differently? I just got the dimensions today and it is a little league baseball field/ softball field, basically 60' base paths, however, they need the entire infield done, nothing left turf on the infield. I'm thinking excavate soil to 4", install Ag Lime (limestone screenings) back to level playing surface. Sound good?

AI Inc
03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Well a true basefall field has a grass infield, a softball field has a clay/sand infield. If they are going to be irrigated the irrigation is done a lot different.

RD 12
03-14-2008, 10:09 AM
I think your big question is what kind of budget do you have and how much maint do they plan on doing?

tweezerbeak
03-14-2008, 03:39 PM
check your drainage...........................................

Atlantic Lawn
03-30-2008, 12:01 PM
If at all possible make sure it faces the correct direction so the sun isn't in the pitchers eyes.

beaglegun
04-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Your making a practice field. If it's for BB and SB I'd lay it out with white line paint, cut the sod 2"and get rid of it. I've seen fields up north with the fine ground limestone. I guess it's cheap. Put the stuff in and level it. That sounds like the cheap way. I wouldn't worry about base paths if your playing softball also. You can buy a portable mound for baseball. That stuff sucks when you slide.