PDA

View Full Version : To those that dont mind my post got another question for ya!!

bigw
03-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Do any of you have a dump trailer and what do you think of them? Are they worth it or would a small dump truck make more sense? I dont really want another truck just yet with insurance and all but im thinking a dump of some kind might be nice.
I mean i havent even started yet but have found a few times where a dump trailer would of came in handy and will with the big mulch jobs i have coming up.Im sure its something id use over and over again especially with clean ups and such.So whats your opinion on the dump trailers?

kleankutslawn
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
i have a dump trailer and to me its worth its weight in gold.i picked it up at the auction a couple years back for a couple grand.I needed it because i do alot of mulching,hauling &clean outs at my apt.complexes that i maintain

PerfectEarth
03-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I have a Bri-Mar dump trailer and it is incredible. I pity guys who double handle material and have to hand-unload soil, debris, etc.... it's not efficient.

Scooping mulch out of it is great also... My trailer is heavy- make sure you have a truck that can handle it.

Weekes
03-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Drop trailer would be great, I myself want one pretty bad.

That said, do you NEED it. I've seen guys that have been in the business longer than me go under due to a bit of over spending and getting every little "make my job easier tool". Not that I know your spending limit, I just know that in any business growing slow and steady is the way to go.

For example I buy tools as I need them for a job and I can see how it will turn profitable fast. Rent a dump trailer till you get to the point that purchasing one become part of the business' natural growth. IMO a dump trailer is a conveniences not worth my $ at this point. You may be in a different situation, but I assume with you just starting it would be more of a luxury.

I guess I am one who does not understand why a brand new to the business guy starts asking which Z should I get before he even has one lawn. I am not saying you have done this, I just use this as an example to explain my point.

bigw
03-06-2008, 10:07 PM
I have a Bri-Mar dump trailer and it is incredible. I pity guys who double handle material and have to hand-unload soil, debris, etc.... it's not efficient.

Scooping mulch out of it is great also... My trailer is heavy- make sure you have a truck that can handle it.

would my 2004 F250 Super duty with the 5.4 triton motor and 4:10 gears be enough to pull one?

bigw
03-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Drop trailer would be great, I myself want one pretty bad.

That said, do you NEED it. I've seen guys that have been in the business longer than me go under due to a bit of over spending and getting every little "make my job easier tool". Not that I know your spending limit, I just know that in any business growing slow and steady is the way to go.

For example I buy tools as I need them for a job and I can see how it will turn profitable fast. Rent a dump trailer till you get to the point that purchasing one become part of the business' natural growth. IMO a dump trailer is a conveniences not worth my $ at this point. You may be in a different situation, but I assume with you just starting it would be more of a luxury.

I guess I am one who does not understand why a brand new to the business guy starts asking which Z should I get before he even has one lawn. I am not saying you have done this, I just use this as an example to explain my point.

I agree with you and i probably will rent as needed for now {unless i find a great steal on a used one} but im sure down the road i will want to have my own...i hate renting anything!

enviouslawns
03-06-2008, 10:10 PM
IMO i would at least get a dump trailer, this is my second year and after all the mulch and landscaping we did last year i figured it was better off just to get a dump, and then if you get busy during snow season all you have to do is buy another plow and you can cover the cost of a new truck on one job i went and priced some out and they were about 600 a monthn and 200 for insurance. best of luck

mattfromNY
03-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Couldnt quite understand what envious was sayin.

I have a dump trailer and love it. At times I wish I had a dump truck, b/c the trailer likes to tear up turf if you turn it sharp on lawns, I am limited on who I have haul mulch/ topsoil/ stone with it, Once in a while I like to have my dad run loads of mulch, but he's very sketchy on backing up a trailer into tight places.
A dump truck will let you get into tighter places, generally, as well as not do so much damage to turf if it is a dually. (my observations)
On the other hand, it is nice to be able to unhook from the trailer, and still use my truck if I need to go to lunch or run parts half way through a job.
I have also rented my trailer to folks who need to clean out a basement, or tear off a roof. Rent the trailer for XX dollars per day plus dump fees, they fill it up, I hook on and haul to the dump.
Hope it helps.
Matt.

enviouslawns
03-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Couldnt quite understand what envious was sayin.

I have a dump trailer and love it. At times I wish I had a dump truck, b/c the trailer likes to tear up turf if you turn it sharp on lawns, I am limited on who I have haul mulch/ topsoil/ stone with it, Once in a while I like to have my dad run loads of mulch, but he's very sketchy on backing up a trailer into tight places.
A dump truck will let you get into tighter places, generally, as well as not do so much damage to turf if it is a dually. (my observations)
On the other hand, it is nice to be able to unhook from the trailer, and still use my truck if I need to go to lunch or run parts half way through a job.
I have also rented my trailer to folks who need to clean out a basement, or tear off a roof. Rent the trailer for XX dollars per day plus dump fees, they fill it up, I hook on and haul to the dump.
Hope it helps.
Matt.

What i mean is a dump trailer is not worth it, but thats my opinion. and you can pay the bill on a dump truck with profits on one job, and make quick money delivering for homeowners , you can put it to work all year if you add a plow.

Sweet Tater
03-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Hey bigw, check my new dump out, 16ft of trailer when I need it and an 8ft dump when I need that.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=217235

jc1
03-07-2008, 07:23 AM
A dump insert is another option, you can fit 4 yards of mulch in it. Also haul grass clippings and dump out rather then rake or shovel them out. Then when you get more customers pick up a dump trailer, so when doing clean ups and mulch you can bring materials and remove debris on the same trip.