PDA

View Full Version : 4th mowing free

grass disaster
03-07-2008, 03:27 PM
i'm thinking of offering 4th mow free if they call before may 1st. will put it on a flyer, up to $40 in value. new customers only.

i thought about giving spring clean-up discounts but i never had good luck with that....plus i'm mainly looking for "lawn mowing" jobs. i seem to make more $ at that.

i don't always offer contracts. i think if i can get them to at least try my service and get them to actually call for an estimate i can get them for all year.

what do you think of this idea??

ProCut_48
03-07-2008, 04:51 PM
IS IT THAT HARD TO GET JOBS THERE?:hammerhead:

miketull8
03-07-2008, 04:53 PM
pro cut, where about are you from, east or west side of the state? Am curious when you think this weather will break to get flyers out?!! Crazy winter this year!

All_Toro_4ME
03-07-2008, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't give ANYTHING for free. Especially with gas going up every week like it is, and the operating cost of that Z along with that WB (assuming you have one), not cheap. This business is expensive. You need the mindset of profit driven, out to increase the bottom line, not trying to make friends. I would try something else marketing wise before I would do a bunch of work for free. Maybe a one time discount, off mowing or discount off the bottom line from upselling them to other services. Just my .02

nemow
03-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I have recieved more customers by doing this than anything else...First cut FREE with seasonal contract. OR, Give our card to a friend or neighbor, for every customer that signs with us we will mow your lawn for FREE. Works great especially with the older folks. All it takes is a mention at the garden club and you are on your way. Our average turnover is very very low so this does catch up pretty quick and turns into profit. Good Luck

badassgrass
03-07-2008, 09:17 PM
We give them their 15th mow free ( price accordly). Don't want them to bail after the first one. It is working for us.

stripe one
03-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I've been thinking about offering a free mowing as well. I don't see it as losing money, if it's what gets you the contract. Plus, nothing is ever free. I plan to add a few bucks extra to the bid to make up for the "free mowing". What they don't know won't hurt'em. Grass Disaster, where in MN are you?

old oak lawn
03-07-2008, 10:46 PM
i charge them for every cut. no free mowing. gas/ workers comp. ins/lib ins/commercial auto ins/ + all the other stuff eats me alive. the only way i might do it is first one free with a signed yearly contract, 32 cuts need it or not. but thats me

grass disaster
03-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I've been thinking about offering a free mowing as well. I don't see it as losing money, if it's what gets you the contract. Plus, nothing is ever free. I plan to add a few bucks extra to the bid to make up for the "free mowing". What they don't know won't hurt'em. Grass Disaster, where in MN are you?

down by new prague...south of the cities about 30miles

kleankutslawn
03-08-2008, 10:49 AM
if it works for you go for it

lawnpro724
03-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Our cost keep going higher and higher and you want to give a customer one mowing a month for free? I don't think its a good idea, instead what we do is do the extra little things while were at the job site like pulling weeds, bringing trash cans back to the back yard and so on. It doesn't take much time at all to do the little things that make a customer appreciate you. If we see a customer usually an older customer who just got back from the grocery store we will even carry in their groceries for them. I'm not the cheapest by any means and in reality were one of the higher priced company's but not the highest by a long shot and every year I have near 100% customer retention.

ProCut_48
03-08-2008, 11:30 PM
pro cut, where about are you from, east or west side of the state? Am curious when you think this weather will break to get flyers out?!! Crazy winter this year!
west side just north of south bend in and i already have a few out but yeah it is a crazy winter!

grasshopperslawn
03-09-2008, 06:57 AM
i'm thinking of offering 4th mow free if they call before may 1st. will put it on a flyer, up to $40 in value. new customers only.

i thought about giving spring clean-up discounts but i never had good luck with that....plus i'm mainly looking for "lawn mowing" jobs. i seem to make more $ at that.

i don't always offer contracts. i think if i can get them to at least try my service and get them to actually call for an estimate i can get them for all year.

what do you think of this idea??
I did that last year but I offered the 5th cut free . Thats was a good catch to get clients in the door and I only had to do one free cut because the client remembered and took me up on it . So it work out good for me maybe 60 new clients from this offer and only had to give 1 free cut. Oh the offer was valid for 1 free cut only after the first 60 days of service

grass disaster
03-09-2008, 10:26 AM
I did that last year but I offered the 5th cut free . Thats was a good catch to get clients in the door and I only had to do one free cut because the client remembered and took me up on it . So it work out good for me maybe 60 new clients from this offer and only had to give 1 free cut. Oh the offer was valid for 1 free cut only after the first 60 days of service

i'd be interested in knowing how you worded this. did you put it on a flyer?

nemow
03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Our cost keep going higher and higher and you want to give a customer one mowing a month for free? I don't think its a good idea, instead what we do is do the extra little things while were at the job site like pulling weeds, bringing trash cans back to the back yard and so on. It doesn't take much time at all to do the little things that make a customer appreciate you. If we see a customer usually an older customer who just got back from the grocery store we will even carry in their groceries for them. I'm not the cheapest by any means and in reality were one of the higher priced company's but not the highest by a long shot and every year I have near 100% customer retention.

I think he means fourth cut free. One time. I think?

Perfect example of why this works. Dano and his fluid film. Product looks a bit pricey and people say nah its not worth it. Dano sends out a free trial can of Fluid Film, boom instant sale.

People like free. Add three dollars to the weekly mowing price and it instantly pays for the free cut. You guys are scared of the word FREE, you have to think as a consumer, it at least makes them read your flyer twice. If you land a customer and you can provide them with a service for even two years, where's the loss? If you didn't land the customer becuase the other guy was five dollars cheaper per week, thats a loss.
Gratification is not always instant.

Edwardsville,IL.PLS
03-10-2008, 03:32 PM
I think you open up a whole can of worms when you start giving work out for free.Just not a very smart thing to do.

All_Toro_4ME
03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
I think he means fourth cut free. One time. I think?

Perfect example of why this works. Dano and his fluid film. Product looks a bit pricey and people say nah its not worth it. Dano sends out a free trial can of Fluid Film, boom instant sale.

People like free. Add three dollars to the weekly mowing price and it instantly pays for the free cut. You guys are scared of the word FREE, you have to think as a consumer, it at least makes them read your flyer twice. If you land a customer and you can provide them with a service for even two years, where's the loss? If you didn't land the customer becuase the other guy was five dollars cheaper per week, thats a loss.
Gratification is not always instant.

I dont think it comes down to that we are scared of the word "free", its more what works for some, doesnt work for all. Using your fluid film example, that product is mass produced in large bats, and unit wise cost is small. They are "giving away" a smaller example of a larger scale (2oz can vs 12oz can) when the customer goes to buy at later time. In mowing, there is no "reduction in scale" to give the customer. It costs the same to mow their property, rather its free or you charge them.

grass disaster
03-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I dont think it comes down to that we are scared of the word "free", its more what works for some, doesnt work for all. Using your fluid film example, that product is mass produced in large bats, and unit wise cost is small. They are "giving away" a smaller example of a larger scale (2oz can vs 12oz can) when the customer goes to buy at later time. In mowing, there is no "reduction in scale" to give the customer. It costs the same to mow their property, rather its free or you charge them.

it would be a 1 time deal 4th mow free. the price would be adjusted through out the year

there are 26 weeks in my season
if the cost of the lawn would be $30 i would adjust it by $1.20 to make up for the free mowing. so i would charge $31.20 or basically i would charge $32(round up always)

stripe one
03-10-2008, 10:47 PM
nemow, well said. It's all about the eye catcher to bring in the customer. It doesn't matter if it's really free or not free.

nemow
03-11-2008, 12:36 AM

Throw in a spring cleanup some dethatching and a fall cleanup and thiers your 12 0z can of landscape. What you do not seem to understand is it could make or break a deal with a customer. It is really the difference between $2500 per season or 0$ per season. If I put both of those on the table and said give me $40 dollars and I will give you $2460 back are you going to take it or leave it? Oh and thats just one season with only mowing and cleanups nothing else. In the long run this money turns into tens of thousands if you can hold onto the customer that you spent $40 on. Yeah maybe Im opening a can of worms giving something for free, maybe its not for everyone, thats fine by me, Ill take the customers you guys dont want. LOL

kpetzold
03-11-2008, 02:49 AM
I think you open up a whole can of worms when you start giving work out for free.Just not a very smart thing to do.

i do a once a year free mowing, i dont tell the customers i do this , i just kinda give a mowing somtime in the season, and tell them thanks for being a good customer, u gotta throw a dog a bone every once in a while .works well for word of mouth clients. :cool2:

grass disaster
03-11-2008, 03:04 AM
i do a once a year free mowing, i dont tell the customers i do this , i just kinda give a mowing somtime in the season, and tell them thanks for being a good customer, u gotta throw a dog a bone every once in a while .works well for word of mouth clients. :cool2:

now this is something i wouldn't do. not when i already have the client.

8307c4
03-11-2008, 03:06 AM
That's a steep discount (25%) so I think you're likely to get folks to call you who cancel after the 4th cut...

We give them their 15th mow free ( price accordly). Don't want them to bail after the first one. It is working for us.

I think that's much better.

HOOLIE
03-11-2008, 06:11 AM
8307c4......Topsites?....hmmm

But 8307c4-isms just don't have quite the same ring to them

nemow
03-11-2008, 10:30 AM
That's a steep discount (25%) so I think you're likely to get folks to call you who cancel after the 4th cut...

I think that's much better.

Or first cut free with a contract, You know those binding agreement to seasonal service that can be enforced in our wonderful court system....Ill cut once for free and if they cancel, I will be payed for doing nothing for the rest of the season.

Contracts?

nemow
03-11-2008, 10:33 AM

This I would never do. Ill allow a skip week of mowing if the lawn is really toasty in August, but for the most part we mow all summer.

8307c4
03-11-2008, 11:34 AM
8307c4......Topsites?....hmmm

But 8307c4-isms just don't have quite the same ring to them

Just for the record, you're dead on right.

I moved my two Web sites to another server, and my email broke in the process.

Then about 4 days ago my Windows hdd stopped working.
I had all but a few passwords on my Linux hdd, but this was one I didn't have.
And I've always used auto-login, couldn't for the life of me remember.

Was going to email this site's admin, but why bother important folks over little things, so that's how this came about.
Once it's all fixed I'll probably revert...
Or maybe not :laugh:

thhits
03-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Free is great when your an established business, when your starting out the last thing you can do is lose money, Here is a ploy I used last season and worked amazingly. First I live in an an urban area. If I accumulated 6 customers on the block I offered the rest of the block $2.00 off per cut the rest of the season, It also helps that I researched my competition and was charging $1.00 less to start with. I would pick up on average 5 more homes per block if not more.