PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation Question

SprinklerGuy
11-16-2001, 11:56 AM
Not enough of these, but I am trying to bring more of us here.

I have an opportunity to set up a service agreement for a 139 unit condo complex. Never really liked the idea of 139 bosses all in the same place but...
Should I discount my service rates, should I propose a full service monthly fee, should I pass?

bruces
11-16-2001, 02:02 PM
I know nothing about irrigation (and little about anything else), but wouldn't you just be dealing with one "boss" (the management company, homeowners board, or something similar).

Seems like a good opportunity for substantial business in one location.

Might be logical to approach it just like a large commercial project or apartment complex.

HBFOXJr
11-16-2001, 04:42 PM
I used to do half day discounts and favorable rates but stopped this year. I looked at how much it costs to put a good mechanic on the street and I was being a fool to discount.

I don't discount anybody, anything because it doesn't cost me any less to operate per hour wether it is a one day stop or 5 or 6 small stops. OK, maybe a little equipment fuel and wear & tear.

The large stop has greater repair efficiency for the customer so theyget more work done per hour. Let that be their discount.

If your messing with lots of spray heads and pipe repairs ther is no big money being made in parts. Thats why I quit discounting, even for my largest account.

gusbuster
11-16-2001, 10:02 PM
I'm with Harold on this one. I wouldn't give a discount on anything except if it was failure in my design in system. I haven't have to do a repair in over 20 years due to poor design on my part.

The parts that would be used for repair aren't that much of a money maker in the first place. My operational cost doesn't really ever go down.

John

Lance Takara
12-02-2001, 07:55 AM
You know your breakeven cost. From there, you can adjust your profit as you feel necessary. That is the key. Whatever you do, make sure you meet your breakeven cost.

greasemonkey
12-03-2001, 07:23 PM
stick it to 'em!! :-)

condo complexes often have larger and more elaborate systems that take a more skilled rerpairman to service than the average residential account.

as for having 139 bosses, i've found that
approximately 1 out of every 25 condo residents is a royal pain in the a$$, but that the rest of them don't really care too much about what it is you're doing.

-J