PDA

View Full Version : Is passing out fliers to homes and business's considered soliciting or canvasing?

greenleaf1
03-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I get worried whenever we're passing out fliers to homes and business's that specificly say "no soliciting" by the door. i've been told that putting fliers on the door is considered "canvasing". anybody know the legals when it comes to fliers? thanks.

lawnman_scott
03-09-2008, 01:08 PM
It's soliciting, but you have to be caught activly doing it to get into trouble for it.

Weekes
03-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Check city ordinances. In my city you can put out door hangers all you want (canvasing). It is only soliciting when you knock and talk. All you need for that is a permit.

echeandia
03-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I checked with the county here last year and they said I could put out door hangers without a permit. Call your sheriff or police department.

Lawn-Sharks
03-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I have a few law enforcement friends that work in different counties that i mow in and the way that they have explained it to me is if im placeing doorhangers on doors and minding my own business. And as long as im not knocking on the doors talking to anybody then all they say im doing is "Advertiseing" but if i knock on the door or just talking to someone outside then im "Soliciting"...so far ive had no problems but what might work for me might not work for you..

greenleaf1
03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
i appreciate all the responses. thanks for the info. i've actually spent most of the day putting out some commercial "advertising". i hope everyones has a good season.

capetan
03-10-2008, 12:16 AM
i actually do a combination of both if i can tell someones home ill knock or if i see someone in the yard i will talk to them but for the most part i just hand out the post cards....