PDA

View Full Version : cell phones

kenoshajoe
03-09-2008, 05:55 PM
This is not a new subject but I see the usage of personal cell phones more and more not just with my own employees but as I am driving around I also
see it with other companies. I know my employees are starting to get more use and braver using there cell phones. I know this is costing me money. I am working on this situation and will be implementing a policy on this. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

KenoshaJoe

Weekes
03-09-2008, 06:27 PM
They got a job in most any other industry and they can't use. If you let em use have strict rules about when -- travel time only etc. Make the rules you want and enforce like you would any other rule.

CALandscapes
03-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the post. I've been noticing the same problem among my employees. I guess it's time to bring the hammer down...

dKoester
03-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Blue Tooth and work go together fine. Cell phone...no.

Big C
03-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Another reason I roll solo:clapping:

kleankutslawn
03-09-2008, 10:03 PM
if you have been allowing it,it make be a little harder to stop

Texas Mower Parts
03-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I would suggest getting Sanyo phones w/ Sprint or Nextel phones. The Sanyo's on the Sprint plans can be locked, so they can only use the phone numbers that you program into it. Those same numbers are the only ones that can call in also. Nextel has an option where they can only use the walkie talkie feature. I'm sure there are more cell phone companies that do something similiar, those are the 2 that I'm familiar with.
-Travis

joshco84
03-10-2008, 12:50 AM

Me to brother. When i work my regular job i only use it on break or lunch, unless i am expecting an important call, which is the way i think it should be. I only have calls like that once or twice a month so not really a problem, and if i was the boss i wouldnt have a problem with it. When i worked for a big lco for years it was the same way unless it was someone from the company calling me (I was the mechanic as well as a mower). That being said, some days i wish i had left the SOB phone at home. :dizzy:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Solo Op here...I don't have a cell and never plan on getting one. Thats what a business ph line and voicemail are for. Just be prompt with your return calls....

QLC- Rick
03-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't have any employees but, if I did these would be my exact words: I'm paying you to work, if you wanna play with your phone all day...go home.

Unfortunately, I'm just old enough to have grown up and began working without them, and everything worked out just fine back then. They're handy to have for certain things, but imo many people nowadays do nothing but waste half the day with the stupid things.

bohiaa
03-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Not an issue to me.......

Gentlemen. your employees are the ones making YOU MONEY,
KEEP THEM HAPPY..............
KEEP THEN HEALTHY...........

F Y P M
03-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I tell each employee (especially in the spring clean-ups) to leave the phones in the trucks.

jason_2005lawnman
03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
well as for you solo guys hurray for you but you cant do a 120+ yards a week either; so for us who have to have help well the cell phone can be used at lunch and drive time; but if i notice that they cant drive and talk ill put a stop to that to; i always keep a close eye on whats going on; have to, thats my job as boss;

Atlantic Lawn
03-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Phones stay in the truck, I had guys talking on the phone trimmin' trees ! Got to be way too much.

DeereHauler
03-10-2008, 09:24 PM
well as for you solo guys hurray for you but you cant do a 120+ yards a week either; so for us who have to have help well the cell phone can be used at lunch and drive time; but if i notice that they cant drive and talk ill put a stop to that to; i always keep a close eye on whats going on; have to, thats my job as boss;

i agree with that.

i had a guy who would stop trimming last year so he could text on his phone, he always thought i had my back turned but i caught on quick. this year phones won't leave the trucks. if you work in a factory, or are a mechanic at the local dealer for example, i bet you would be fired real quick for yapping on your phone. its also a bug safety concern. i've seen people try to work and talk, and they just can't do both.

BUT, i am the boss, i get to talk on mine because i talk to customers during the day, answering machines are only for after hours, and when i'm too busy. i get more jobs that way.

BeautifulBlooms
03-10-2008, 10:07 PM
"Bug safety" Are you afraid it will kill more mosquitos!!!

Just kidding

No phones allowed in the trucks period, they stay at the shop. Company cell phone with crew leader for emergencies and thats it.

landscaper22
03-10-2008, 10:14 PM

Don't allow an issue like that stop you from having employees. Just set the rules and make them follow the rules. I know how it is though. Cell phone use by employees is just one more thing to slow them down a little more, especially if you are not there to monitor the situation.