PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter problems need HELP quick!!!!!!!

UrbanGreen
03-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I have an 06' LBZ duramax. Heres my problem....the fuel filter needed to be changed so we changed them out. After bleeding the line I cranked the truck and it ran for maybe 5 sec. and then died. It would not crank after that even after we went through the whole process again. Now the message board on the dash isnt showing anything either not even the mileage. I have never had a problem like this with changing the filter, can anyone help?:confused:

vadeere
03-09-2008, 10:39 PM
You used the primer bulb right?

UrbanGreen
03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Yea primed it until a little fuel comes out of the bleeder valve, tightened the bleeder valve back and then nothing. I dont get it

TXNSLighting
03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
you gotta prime these stupid things. its right on top of the fuel filter houing. pump it until your finger is blistered, then move on to the next finger. then shell fire right over.

TXNSLighting
03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
dont mess with the bleeder valve. just keep priming. it takes a while.

UrbanGreen
03-09-2008, 10:48 PM
So keep the bleeder valve tightened down and then just prime like a mad man?

TXNSLighting
03-09-2008, 10:52 PM
thats it! it took me a good 5-10 min of priming. very poor design on these duramaxs.

UrbanGreen
03-09-2008, 10:55 PM
lol!! Is normal for the message board not to show anything at all on it? When I changed the filter before we didnt have to prime so much and the message board still came up.

UrbanGreen
03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Well going to go prime the hell out of that thing now.....Texanlawn thanks alot for your help its not the first time you have given me advice on duramax! Thanks

nosparkplugs
03-09-2008, 11:01 PM
YEPH,the Cummins is self primming, I change my filters while the guys are mowing accounts sometimes

TXNSLighting
03-09-2008, 11:04 PM
powerstroke is also self priming. I dont understand why the duramax. which looks alot more hightech then the others. o well.

TXNSLighting
03-09-2008, 11:05 PM
lol!! Is normal for the message board not to show anything at all on it? When I changed the filter before we didnt have to prime so much and the message board still came up.

yeh mine didnt show anything. The dealer didnt even know you should prime it... i had to call my diesel bud at texasdieselpower.com. ha nice plug for him.

TXNSLighting
03-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Well going to go prime the hell out of that thing now.....Texanlawn thanks alot for your help its not the first time you have given me advice on duramax! Thanks

its not? man! hopefully you can help me out on the duramax sometime. ha! :cool2:

UrbanGreen
03-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks!! Going to go get a nice work out it seems priming that bad boy:weightlifter:

UrbanGreen
03-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Haha! Anytime, Im obviously the one you would wanna get help from for your duramax!

nosparkplugs
03-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Thats it High tech, the V8 diesels are just to cramped that should be a warning sign, evertime a Duramax or Powerstroke buddy has me open the hood on my Dodge Cummins ISB inline 6, their like wow that looks so easy to maintain. The turbo is right in the open on the left side, room for a compound twin turbo for $2,999 and 3hrs labor, when my stock Holster goes if it ever does.

UrbanGreen
03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
I know your Cummins is great but hows your dodge doin? Haha

FIRESCOOBY
03-09-2008, 11:20 PM
thats it! it took me a good 5-10 min of priming. very poor design on these duramaxs.

Not quite. You need to crack the priming screw very slightly. If you're doing it with the priming screw closed, that's why it was taking 5-10 minutes. It usually takes me 5-10 pumps until I get fuel coming out. Then tighten the screw. Be careful as the screw is plastic (stupid design).

IA_James
03-09-2008, 11:26 PM
YEPH,the Cummins is self primming, I change my filters while the guys are mowing accounts sometimes

That's nice. Cycle the key for the lift pump 4 or 5 time, and off to the races.:)

UrbanGreen
03-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Ok I got the truck to crank but now it is idleing kind of funny and I still cannot get the message board to show up......what do I do now?

FIRESCOOBY
03-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Ok I got the truck to crank but now it is idleing kind of funny and I still cannot get the message board to show up......what do I do now?

Take it to the dealer in the morning.

nosparkplugs
03-10-2008, 12:23 AM
I went from a 02 F-350 7.3L powerstroke dually crew cab like a bus, the Dodge body & cab is holding up well, very tight door seals, seems to be the biggest complaint, fit & finish is great. Many avoid the Cummins diesel; because of the Dodge cab? I have had good luck so far.

vadeere
03-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Why do you all start b!tching about which truck is better like a bunch of 3rd graders. Face it they all suck. Until I find a truck that gets 30 mpg, doesnt break down, pulls good, looks good, never gets dirty, and can be bought new for $5,000, I will maintain my opinion. Oh yea, just because your uncle's landscaper's baby's momma's second nephew's well drilling buddy had a powerstroke that needed a jump start does not mean its a bad truck. BTW I own dmax and cummins and I hate them all.

TXNSLighting
03-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Thats it High tech, the V8 diesels are just to cramped that should be a warning sign, evertime a Duramax or Powerstroke buddy has me open the hood on my Dodge Cummins ISB inline 6, their like wow that looks so easy to maintain. The turbo is right in the open on the left side, room for a compound twin turbo for $2,999 and 3hrs labor, when my stock Holster goes if it ever does.

good gosh man... we know what you have... you dont have to say i have a cummins isb inline 6 turbo diesel, has so much horse power blah blah. cummins is just fine. we know what it is.

TXNSLighting
03-10-2008, 11:00 AM
yeh you maybe have another issue. it will run a little rough for the first few minutes. and no you dont need to open the bleeder valve. i was being sarcastic about the 5-10 min thing. it takes 2 max.

TXNSLighting
03-10-2008, 11:03 AM
and no they dont suck. their all great in their own rights. ford gm or dodge, have all got their fine qualities. dodge just isnt really known for that good of quality. thats why their cheap. which is good for some who want a diesel but cant afford a gm or a ford. theres always a dodge! altho i just went and gandered a a new megacab...its a resistol package, (trying to compete with the king ranch) good god guys. 58000 dollars for this truck! i couldnt believe it! you can get a king ranch cheaper!

vadeere
03-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Same sh!t, diffeent day, huh?

OhioMowerGuy
03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Put some diesel in your fuel filter before you put it on so you dont have to prime it forever.

UrbanGreen
03-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Didnt have to prime too much it and did finally crank. It idled real funny for a while and the message board didnt come up either. I drove it around a bit then let it sit for 30mins and when I cranked it everything was golden again! Thanks for the help fellas

TXNSLighting
03-11-2008, 09:59 AM
very interesting...i think you should still take it in just in case. these duramaxs are very tempermental.

TXNSLighting
03-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Put some diesel in your fuel filter before you put it on so you dont have to prime it forever.

yeh like that will work...have you ever changed a duramax fuel filter?

OhioMowerGuy
03-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah I have changed fuel filters before. Have you?

ZX12R
03-11-2008, 09:36 PM
"Put some diesel in your fuel filter before you put it on so you dont have to prime it forever."

Thats what I do in my Ford. Truck fires right up and runs smoothe right off the bat.Works for me.