PDA

View Full Version : best radar detector.

Landrus2
03-09-2008, 10:56 PM
What do you run...how you like it? pros, cons, cost?

i got one from walmart for like $140 don't like it at all. it would go off all the time even on the 495 freeway at 10pm with hardly anyone or anything around (i think it would pick something up from big trucks):waving:

Indy Kyle
03-09-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't trust any radar detector. They just give me a false sense of security. Every time I heard I single beep I would be looking around for cops, even if I wasn't speeding. Most cops will just flip their radar on at the last second anyway so it doesn't do you any good. Besides, a cop's radar can reach twice as far as some cheapo radio shack detector.

TPLawnPro
03-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Valentine 1

http://www.valentine1.com/

kklick
03-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Don't have one. Tried alot of them but decided the best bet was just to slow down. If you can't afford a ticket don't speed.

PerfectEarth
03-09-2008, 11:17 PM
What kind of truck are you placing this in?? They are very illegal in certain commercial vehicles, I think....

DoetschOutdoor
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
The only people that knock radar detectors are the ones that have not been fortunate enough to use a good one. I do not speed like a madman but with as much driving as people in this biz have to do, I would not drive without it. Back in the day (4years ago), it was only about $200 model and a I traded a buddy for it. I had used several cheaper models and had all the problems that people on here listed like false security, going off at random, etc. But when you get a good detector, these things DO NOT happen. Mine will pick up a cop that is sitting at a local elementary school about 1/2 mile from my house that is a min. of 4 turns thoughout the neighborhood. It will start beeping the minute im headed in that direction and I usually find him/her radaring at the school or firehouse. You think that his radar is actually picking me up throughout all those turns??? Its the other way around if you have a good radar detector, you hear them before its too late. On roadtrips, have had radar detection on the interstate from over a mile away. I have no idea how my detector does it but once you get used to having it, I'll never not have one. I cant imagine how good these new ones are. Kinda pricey at like $400+ but some I think will even pay your tickets if you manage to get one. Not likely they would follow through with that but I imagine they are pretty good.