PDA

View Full Version : Starting Spring Clean ups North East

mexiking
03-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Hey North Eastern folks, Just wondering when you guys are starting to do spring clean ups? I think we will be starting this week here in North NJ. I will start with whatever houses I did not do final clean ups for. I saw some guys who started last week, but it seemed too early since the ground is very wet, even this past saturday it was pouring like crazy so I don't know if its possible for tomorrow maybe tuesday. When are you guys going to start? or did you start already?

CLARK LAWN
03-10-2008, 12:43 AM
we just got about a foot of snow so it will be awhile for us in ohio

Looking Good Lawn Service
03-10-2008, 12:54 AM
weather is starting to clear up around here, im gonna start the 17th, weather permitting. most of my buddies will start the 17th.

RickR1818
03-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Hey guys, I have a side question on this subject. I started last year late in the season. I expect to get a few calls on Spring Cleanups and basically wanted to know what you guys include in your cleanups.

Uranus
03-10-2008, 01:14 AM
I wish I could go out today. 10th. I doubt I'll even be able to get out before the 19th. Maybe I'll see how some of my dust bowls are while I'm out there doing estimates, but I'm staying off my nicer lawns till the last week of March.

KS_Grasscutter
03-10-2008, 01:17 AM
I started cutting pampas grass today, will probably be doing some cleanups by the end of the week I suppose.

wintergreenlawn&landscape
03-10-2008, 01:38 AM
It's only the second week in March, we're going to get more snow the way this years going.

JimmyStew
03-10-2008, 07:55 AM
I was thinking about starting this week. We're going to bring the snowblower along with us to blow off the 3+ feet of snow so we can get to the beds!:laugh: Seriously, we have another month, at least before we can get started. All the equipment is still snowbound.

rodfather
03-10-2008, 09:30 AM
weather permitting, startup on a limited schedule 03/17

Whitey4
03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
I have the freakin flu... but if I'm feeling better, I''l start on Thursday or Friday. I have a new customer that asked me to get it done as soon as I could... cleanup and some power raking. His beds look like they never got done in the fall. I sure won't work on St Patty's day though! Or... Good Friday... so I want to get started.

mexiking
03-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey guys, I have a side question on this subject. I started last year late in the season. I expect to get a few calls on Spring Cleanups and basically wanted to know what you guys include in your cleanups.

pretty simple depending on what equipment you have. Usually you detatch the lawn with one of those heavy detactchers that you have to push or you can buy an attachment to your ZTR or Walker. You have to pick up all fallen branches in beds & turf area. Than just blow off all beds & shrubs and all the thatch you got out by dethatching, all this takes time so estimate correctly.

mexiking
03-10-2008, 11:41 AM
pretty simple depending on what equipment you have. Usually you detatch the lawn with one of those heavy detactchers that you have to push or you can buy an attachment to your ZTR or Walker. You have to pick up all fallen branches in beds & turf area. Than just blow off all beds & shrubs and all the thatch you got out by dethatching, all this takes time so estimate correctly.

oh yeah I forgot you usually do spade edging on all the beds which you have to charge more for since its hard work.

ProStreetCamaro
03-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I dont know if you consider maryland the in the NE but guys have been doing clean ups and mulching around here for the last 2 weeks or more even in the freezing cold. We just did our first mulch job of the year today and man am I beat.

Anybody else here hate mulch with a passion?

DixieFerris
03-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Up here around Albany/Saratoga area in Upstate NY, we plan on getting rolling March 24th in some capacity, and full throttle April 1st

mexiking
03-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I dont know if you consider maryland the in the NE but guys have been doing clean ups and mulching around here for the last 2 weeks or more even in the freezing cold. We just did our first mulch job of the year today and man am I beat.

Anybody else here hate mulch with a passion?

Nah, I love Mulch, Easy QuiCK MONEY! We can knock out 10 yards in 2 hours and earn $600 just in profit, I like.... I would just do mulch all year if I could haha.

RedSox4Life
03-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I usually -try- to start april first. Last year we got in a week of clean ups, then got hit by a mid april snow storm.

F Y P M
03-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm hoping to get started the day before Easter basically small yards. Want to work out the kinks and get going full by April 1st.

AL Inc
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Possibly later this week, or Monday 3/17. Lots of clay soil here which is still very waterlogged. So I'll see what this week brings. Most of the machines are ready to roll.
I got knocked out by the flu also last week, and still don't feel like myself yet. I need to get better before things really start to get busy.

memac259
03-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Got my 1st one in today. Hoping to be able to get another tomorrow, but they are calling for rain. We are up and running as long as the weather holds!

lawnkingforever
03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Seen a couple guys out, but that is it. In about 2 weeks I hope to get out for a couple cleanups. My equipment will stay in the shed for a little longer.

hackitdown
03-10-2008, 04:38 PM
We still have a good 10 inches of snow on the ground. I'm thinking April 1st to start the cleanups and dethatching. Should be lots of lawn repairs from plow damage...I wrecked plenty of lawns this winter with my plow. ;-)

TC LAWNCARE
03-10-2008, 05:16 PM
How About A Good Time To Aerate & Seed. One Of My Customers Needs Serious Lawn Rebuild. I'm Thinking Around The End Of Month..?

shovelracer
03-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Around here we are gonna start April 1st. Not worth doing it now, the lawns are soaked and some are still frozen. I wouldnt even attempt to drive a machine on one right now. Besides it is still early, we are due for our annual 2 foot march snow. The last storm is always the worst too cause the townships will be dumping their grit all over just to get rid of it. Ive seen a few hacks out there today, but no real companies. Professionals know that it isnt worth damaging a lawn just to get a few bucks. We'll wait it out and start 60 hour weeks April 1st. Good luck to the rest of you.

Whitey4
03-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Around here we are gonna start April 1st. Not worth doing it now, the lawns are soaked and some are still frozen. I wouldnt even attempt to drive a machine on one right now. Besides it is still early, we are due for our annual 2 foot march snow. The last storm is always the worst too cause the townships will be dumping their grit all over just to get rid of it. Ive seen a few hacks out there today, but no real companies. Professionals know that it isnt worth damaging a lawn just to get a few bucks. We'll wait it out and start 60 hour weeks April 1st. Good luck to the rest of you.

Damaging a lawn? I think not... on LI anyway. It will warm up nicley here this week, and should be very dry by Friday. Can you see past yer nose with it all the way up in the air like that?

McVey Landscaping
03-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Getting ready to start here in the midwest. Temps are going to be in the high 40's-low 50's this week. Getting excited, tired to pushing snow.

lawnguyland
03-11-2008, 12:38 AM
I might putz around on a few at my leisure later in the week and then the plan is to strart 3/17 for real. I think last year I started around the 15th then it snowed and put us out for a week. Planted spring vegetables in the garden today! Have a good start...

RICHIE K
03-11-2008, 07:49 AM
We started last Thursday doing our comm. accts.

OGL
03-11-2008, 09:18 AM
hey rick, to answer your question. what i
include in my cleanups is 1. dethatcching 2 clean out all beds. 3 back pack blow out the entire grass areas (if there not huge). 4 haul away the debris. That will leave the yard looking the best it can look. But just note Icharge a fee for dethathching, and charge by the hour.

socty
03-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Snow has not been a problem here this winter, so we've been doing cleanups off and on now since January! But the real "spring" cleanups were started just this week. Don't want to get behind schedule, plus I want to jump start the cash flow asap.

TheKingNJ
03-16-2008, 05:27 PM
I started a job yesterday. What a mess it turned out to be.