PDA

View Full Version : Building Wood sides on a 5x8 Open Utility

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Recently bought a 5x8 utility for use in my biz. Has the 1 ft high angle rail like usual, with 4 stake pockets available. I am interested in building 2 ft high sides for the trailer, to make it more useful for hauling mulch, landscape rock, debris from trim jobs, etc. Has anyone done this recently, and if so what are some basic directions for good, sturdy sides on the 5x8? If you have pics, I would be indebted:)

My thinking is to cut some 2x4's to fit the pockets and then bolt to some cut-to-fit 1/2 inch treated plywood. Use L brackets to join the corners between the 3 pieces of plywood. Then either use U brackets to bolt the plywood to the rail, or drill holes in the rail and bolt the plywood on directly. I don't want to have to drill holes in the rail if I don't have to, however.....

Thanks!

AboveTheCut
03-10-2008, 11:22 PM
the one in the front is a 6 x 14, the back one is 5 x 10. once constructed the sides can be removed very easily but i just leave them in place year round. also helps when covering with a tarp. i am thinking about adding a roll up tarp to these next. hopefully the pic works.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
bump if anyone else has pics too - (thanks abovethecut!)

DSLND
03-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Heres a picture of my trailer. Its really handy the way I have it setup!

-Mitch-

NOTE: This is from last fall. Recently, TrimmerTrap racks have been added.

DSLND
03-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Another picture!

TandM
03-11-2008, 11:26 PM
nice trailer dream scapes and above the cut. I am adding sides to mine also.