PDA

View Full Version : Ad in local "coupon" magazine

moonscapes
03-10-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm considering running an ad in the local "Savvy Shopper" This is a full color magazine with Ads that all have coupons in it. It's direct mail to single family houses only -reaching 50,000 people. I would be the only lawn maintenance/landscape ad in it. The ad is a one time fee of 450 for a half page or 800.00 for an entire page. Any suggestions on which to choose? Anyone done this before-and if so, what type of return did you get? The salesperson seemed pretty honest with a usual 1-2% return-but on 50,000 that's 500 calls!! I would be TOTALLY overwhelmed if even 1/2 of those panned out to jobs. It would mail out March 26th-so a great time for ads!!

let me know what you think! (and soon please, the deadline is TOMORROW!):confused:

CALandscapes
03-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I got a call today for basically the exact same thing. Coupon mag mailed out to 25,000 homes, same prices, etc.

I don't think that I'm going to do it...

I'm curious as to the responses this post generates..

BeautifulBlooms
03-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Never tried it an curious about response rates.

Usually I personally will flip throught hose things and pul out the coupons that might be worth something. Then i set thema side and more oftent han not I never even use them.

I wouldn't expect anymore than a handful of calls on that thousand home circulation, so in my opinion I think putting my professional looking flyer out by hand is more cost effective, but then again i have never tried this way of doing it either.

You have to imagine what most people will do with the coupon books, how many will actually file through it (not many because we are so darn lazy)? Plus you never really know if those people who get the publication are in your actual market. Sure they may fit the geography but how many actually fit your target market financially, or what their homes are like?????

Yopu have to learn someway if it works or not and the only way to do that is to try it, but I dont think you will get $400 worth of profits out of the add.

Elden
03-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I took the bait last year and did one of those adds cost $399 because they had to fill up the book, and it was close to dead line. $150 off of normal price. I was so excited my first year and 1% of 40,000 would mean I was going to make it big quick. Ad came out 1st weed in April. and...... NOTHING!!!!! I got one call from a tire kicker who took up 2 hrs of my time. They didn't even have the hoospa to tell me they weren't going to do it until i called them like 3 times.

Personally, I will never ever advertise in one of those things again.

moonscapes
03-10-2008, 10:57 PM
well, since I have to make a decision-I think I'm going with a half page. I'll let you know about the returns...but please keep the info on this type of ad coming!

detroitjoker
03-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I just did one myself. 30000 for $700, but I get 3 issues which come out every 5 weeks. First issue comes March 24. I got to pick my area and I know for fact it is heavy residential. I am excited to get return. I talked to a sprinkler guy thats advertises with them and he sounded happy.

I hope for a greta return, but who knows. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Make sure you list some deals in there. Deal catchers so to speak. Good luck.

jtlandscaping
03-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I advertised in one of those coupon books last spring. It cost me 250 dollars for a half page add. I would say I got about 30 calls, I ran mine as a 15% of discount price, I think in the end I got maybe 1 job. The rest were all price shopping. To be honest for me it was a waste of money and time.

Tobin
03-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Never had any luck with them myself I wouldn't do it

MnDLawn
03-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Never had any luck with them myself I wouldn't do it

The numbers sound great, but they never work out.

S&MLL
03-12-2008, 01:54 AM
It all depends on the services you offer. If your company only cuts grass probably not to effective. Plus I never saw anything from a half page ad. Full page is the way to go. Most of those advertising companies can be talked down. I’ve run in several of them. Some glossy some just full page color and its always mixed responses. One did two different mags all together went to about 170k homes. Not a call. The next month went to about 15k homes and got 10 calls. Its also about consistency. The areas your trying to advertise in want to see your name around. I put magnets on many vehicles commercial registration or not just so people see the name. Worst that can happen is you get no calls. Just make sure its going into newly developed homes where they don’t even have a yellow book. That way you’re the only companies number they have. Obviously the best way to advertise is word of mouth. But you have to do some of these loss leaders in order to get those new customers.

Weekes
03-12-2008, 12:37 PM
We all have different experiences. This is the only form of ad I have done. The rest has been word of mouth or a few door to door fliers. My current client count stemming from these ads is well, WOW to many to really count. Honestly if it is a good magazine that goes only to certain income homes, then it is good. The neighborhoods I am in are nearly all ones that I got into because of these magazines. I've spent $2500 over two years on them. I no longer use them cuzz I don't have to, it is just word of mouth now. I will go door to door around houses I do already and that is about it. I placed a quarter page ad in the mag two months the first year, and the same ad one month the following year.

My testimonial would be they got me rolling in this business. It helped that I was allowed a small monopoly on service in mag (they promised that there would not be many of my competitors in mag, kind of a first serve type of situation) If any of you are interested in more details of my experience, just ask. I will check this thread later.

Like I said earlier we all have different experiences, mine was great.

willretire@40
10-08-2008, 06:47 AM
I did the whole magazine thing before. 100k homes and I would get about 15 jobs out of it each issue. Cost me $995 per issue. I had my prices in the ad so no price shoppers for the most part.