PDA

View Full Version : Lift me up higher !

Bunton Guy
11-17-2001, 11:25 AM
Im looking into a cheaper alternative to those lift kits for trucks that are 1,500 + buckaroos...how about those 2" & 3" body lift kits with the blocks ? will that work out fine ? the truck is ofcoarse a ford 2001 f-350 2X4 just want 2 maybe 3 inch lift and thought a body lift will do the job eh ? they seem much more affordable I know they arent exactly lifting the suspension but hey this thing has a rough ride allready compared to my 00 f-150 so it cant get much worse. I beleive these block kits are going for around 150-300 dollars. Any help or suggestions. Im looking for this height for the look & to be able to fit some nice sized tires. Another question is does any of those mud tires such as Thorbirds (what I want ) have a load range that can pull a 6,000 lb trailer. ???
Thanx in advance.

Scotlawncare
11-17-2001, 04:40 PM
First off do you have a dulley or Single Rear wheel? Single RW will be easier. Most lift kits for Ford Superduty trucks are not that expensive. 1500-2000 would be the price fo an 6" for a f-150. 800-1200 for a 6" sus lift for newer 250-350 4x4's. Does your 2 wheel drive have leaf springs on the front? If so then you could get 4 inches easy for under 300 bucks. If you have leaf springs on front go to ford and price a set of X code front springs. They are the springs for a f-550 and will give you 2-4" of lift and then you can add the 4" f-350 4x4 rear blocks cheap. A body lift would be easy and would be less expensive than a suspension lift.

As for tires Interco Does NOT make a thornbird that is load rated for the superduty trucks yet. They have a new tire due out I think in Dec or early part of next year that is 10 ply that will carry the weight. Do not get a tire that has a load rating of less than a D. E rating is what should be used for a f-350.

Check out www.ford-diesel.com and do a search for tires.

Sorry for the long post.

Bunton Guy
11-18-2001, 09:04 AM
I thank you for your help my front end suspension is a coil spring with a shock absorber next to it. Will the body lift still work ?

SCAPEASAURUSREX
11-19-2001, 05:41 PM
Body Lifts, are relativly easy to install , have one in my 250HD 4X4.. just dont give you any more suspension travel... Dont do anything to the ride quality either... But inexpensive and simple.. May have to lower the radiator, but they usually give you the brakets to do that ... Just watch any wiring that may go to the frame from the body , dont' want to rip anything out...

Lawnworks
11-21-2001, 12:41 PM
Body lifts do not affect the ride at all. Putting a suspension lift will make the ride alot more rough. A suspension lift would look the best though. I would still get thornbirds,too. It is not like your pulling 5 tons. The labor for suspension lifts is usually $100 an inch. Get a 6 or 8 inch lift with 35" or 38" thornbirds and you will have a sweet ride. And if you want more you can always get a body lift.

Bunton Guy
11-21-2001, 01:28 PM
Actually we had a 4X4 off road supply place open up in my area and he said that I cant put a body lift on my truck because its Diesel...darn diesel he said that he couldnt remember the exact reason why he said its something to the affect of the gas lines are not flixible. And he showed it it me in writing that the catalog he had for one of the manufacturers in plain writing. Is this just one company or many companys suggest not to do this witha diesel model.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
11-21-2001, 02:40 PM
BuntonDude...

I have heard that and seen that before... I think most manufacturs will be the same..... Guess you gotta look at the suspension lifts.. What if you went with a 2" or so using adda leafs in the rear and extended coils up front.. That would not adversly effect your ride quality nor any of the steering geometry..

Bunton Guy
11-22-2001, 08:23 AM
Oh... I dont care about the ride. The truck allready has a ruff ride I mean the suspension is just so stiff...but thats for the better because I carry heavy loads in the bed sometimes . Anywho I dont think I will be using a suspension lift seing that they are at the least a easy grand or so. My girl friend is dissapointed at me lol. I guess thats something to be happy about she wanted me to get a lift kit and some big mud tires. She thought that was great but now I broke it to her that I wont be dropping 2,500 for tires and a lift kit. Maybe some other time. If I could only find a kit that would lift the body without problems with the diesel motor.

John DiMartino
11-22-2001, 09:08 AM
You shoudlve bought a 4x4,instead of paying 2K to raise a 2wd,id be happy its low enough to actually use the bed without a loading dock.