PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice

TylerD
03-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey everyone, I am new to the seal coating business and have a couple questions concerning equipment and techniques.
This is what I plan on purchasing to get the job done rite all comments are welcome and suggestions would be appreciated.
-Little Wonder 5HP Honda Blower(Is this sufficient)
-Already have a spray system
-BLACKMAC sealant (has any one used this and is it good)
-What is the best product for covering oil stains
-Any techniques for spraying around homes and along the edge of the grass would be a great aid

Any advice that might be important that I missed don't be shy
Looking forward to hearing responses.

shepoutside
03-10-2008, 11:01 PM
-Little Wonder 5HP Honda Blower(Is this sufficient)
-Already have a spray system
-BLACKMAC sealant (has any one used this and is it good)
-What is the best product for covering oil stains
-Any techniques for spraying around homes and along the edge of the grass would be a great aid

Hello there !!

1. The blower should be fine, I have a 8hp, but most times, it's powered back. Maybe a back-pack blower would suit you better? I only use the push blower, for huge driveways, and parking lots.

2. BlackMac, from McAshphalt, is a great product. It's worth the drive to Toronto for me to get this product, as it's so much better then the stuff they sell around here.

3. I lightly burn the top oil off, ( tiger Torch) then any primer made to do this is fine IMO.

4. Around houses/flowers/cars etc, I turn the pressure down, and may even use a smaller angle tip. If it's at all windy, I'll tape paper ( I use the rolls that the body shops use) to anything that may get over-sprayed. I have boards on sticks or handles, that I use to edge the driveway. Most don't use the edging boards, but it make a huge difference.

Good Luck, and hope you have a great season !!!

fullmetalbucket
04-15-2008, 02:33 AM
I use Blackmac exclusively now. Used to use a blended product from Bulkseal in Hamilton but the Blackmac lasts so much longer and goes on alot nicer and is an all 'round better product. Use a STIHL blower, and tape/paper garage doors, any old primer, sheetmetal fastened to a long broomhandle works great for edging.

shepoutside
04-15-2008, 08:16 AM
I use Blackmac exclusively now. Used to use a blended product from Bulkseal in Hamilton but the Blackmac lasts so much longer and goes on alot nicer and is an all 'round better product. Use a STIHL blower, and tape/paper garage doors, any old primer, sheetmetal fastened to a long broomhandle works great for edging.

Do you get BlackMac in Hamilton? be a shorter drive for me, I'm in Cambridge.

Coater
04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Pick up a cheap edger and replace the blade with a knoted wire wheel. 8" around 40.00 but I can find good deals on 6". I use the edger for cracks and also cleaning oil spots and cutting grass along the sides

fullmetalbucket
04-15-2008, 10:35 AM
No, I don't believe there's BlackMac anywhere in the golden horseshoe! McAsphlt told me that the closest one to me is Port Colborn. I'm just outside of Port Dover so it's about 45 min for me to go get my product as well. Although I do not envy you having to drive into Toronto for it!!!

fullmetalbucket
04-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Pick up a cheap edger and replace the blade with a knoted wire wheel. 8" around 40.00 but I can find good deals on 6". I use the edger for cracks and also cleaning oil spots and cutting grass along the sides

That's a good idea!

xdallairex
04-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Anyone know the price for the Blackmac sealer?:canadaflag:

fullmetalbucket
04-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Hey, I just got off the phone with Kwik Mix Materials in Port Colborne and it'll be about $6.13 per gallon.... I was paying $5.68 per gallon last season....

What are you guys who use Black Mac charging for single and double driveways or per square ft?

I was charging roughly $0.16 per sqft last year.... this year with fuel costs, etc it'll be about the cost of a cheap Berber!! :nono:

tedford69
04-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I use Blackmac only and works GREAT. Also, I use a back pack blower and is fine for what I need it to do, maybe takes a little longer but the price is right. As for the edging, I use backing boards. Makes a nice straight line, especialy at the roadway because that's where everyone driving by is going to see it. Blackmac at McAsphalt in Ottawa was $1.10 per litre last year

xdallairex
04-26-2008, 06:23 PM
I filled up in Barrie at dons driveway for 1.37
Just need some warm weather :canadaflag: