PDA

View Full Version : ANY MECHANICAL QUESTIONS

ztrmower
01-20-2000, 05:57 AM
If any of you guys have any mower repair questions i am more than happy to help.I've been doing this for about 10 years now.Iown my own sales and service shop in Florida.I am not looking for bussiness from this just love to give a helping hand. Let me know if you all need anything<br>david<br>B and B Sales and Service,Inc

mattingly
01-20-2000, 07:04 AM
I don't need any help right now ztr but, I am ecstatic to see you on the forum. You will be a welcome addition and to be honest I hope I never have to call on you:)<br>thanks,<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

ztrmower
01-20-2000, 07:10 AM
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME!<p>LIKE I SAID IF YOU GUYS GOT QUESTIONS I'LL ANSWER ALL THAT I CAN.<br>DAVID<br>

Lazer
01-20-2000, 09:55 AM
Very welcome addition.<p>And NEEDED. (Lot of guys still using Kohlers!) :)<p>

geogunn
01-20-2000, 11:44 AM
ztr...--the 14 hp kawi rope starter has a compression release on it right? I'm not sure if mine is working. It always starts on the first pull except on the rare occasion that I forget about a neutral switch or when I possibly had an ignition module go out (I think this has happened a time or two). I'm real happy with how it starts but it does take a yank. can you offer a comment on whether you think the compression release system is working and what to anticipate for costs on repairs if I decide to have it done?<p>many thanks.<p>GEO

tgrebis
01-20-2000, 09:45 PM
Just wondering if there are any good books out there for walk behind mowers. I am mechanically inclined, but sometimes I can't figure things out,especially carb and adjustment techniques.

ztrmower
01-21-2000, 03:24 AM
GEO<br>YOUR KAWI HAS A COMPRESSION RELEASE BUT IT IS ON THE CAMSHAFT.I HAVE SEEN IT STICK NUMEROUS TIMES.IF YOU BOUGHT IT USED,THE OLD OWNER PROBABLY DIDN'T CHANGE THE OIL FREQUENTLY. IF YOU GOT IT NEW,COULD BE SAME PROB.ASLO TRY PULLING THE ROPE OUT TILL YOU GET TO THE COMPRESSION STROKE(WHEN IT GETS TIGHT)AND THEN LET THE ROPE IN AND GIVE HER A YANK.ALSO WHERE ARE YOU AT? UNLES ITS EXTREMELY COLD YOU SHOULD BE USING 30WT OIL.<br>LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS.<br>DAVID

ztrmower
01-21-2000, 03:27 AM
tgrebis<br>THERE IS A COMPANY CALLED INTERTEC THAT MAKES PRETTY GOOD ARRAY OF GENERAL REPAIR MANUALS. THEY ARE EVEN ON THE SHELF AT MY LOCAL LIBRARY.THEY WOULD BE A PRETTY GOOD BET.GOOD LUCK!<br>DAVID

geogunn
01-21-2000, 04:41 AM
ztr...--thanks for the info. I am in east TN (GO VOLS!) and it's real cold here. I've been doing what you suggest with the rope and compression stroke and there is usually never a problem with startup. I use 30W in it all the time. I don't use it in the cold but I do start it from time to time on the warmer days. thanks again.<p>GEO

Dennis
01-24-2000, 08:49 PM
I have a 48&quot; snapper Pro walkbehind, that does not like to go backward.Have tried tightening belts but no help.unit is brand new,but don't want to take to dealer,(he has a bad attitude),any ideas??

ztrmower
01-26-2000, 03:40 PM
THE REVERSE ON MOST WALK BEHINDS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF HYDROS I MAINLY AN ASSIST REVERSE. THEY ARE MUST WEAKER THAN THE FORWARD.IF YOU WANT ANY MORE REVERSE TRY ADJUSTING THE ROD THAT ENGAGES YOUR PULLES FOR REVERSE.<br>PS: NEVER BUY EQUIPMENT FROM ANYONE YOU DONT LIKE..EVEN IF THEY DO HAVE THE BEST PRICE..LOOK AT YOUR POSITION NOW<br>DAVID

Bobby
01-28-2000, 08:22 PM
Hi David Like Lazer said, a lot of Kohlers out here. Mine is a 25 Command on a Walker MT-42. Oil gets into the air filter. I'm assuming through the crankcase breather hose. Oil level is correct, new air filters. It has a precleaner filter. My question: Is the Turbo air vane a gimick,or dose it aid in air flow? I removed it after a palm tree reshaped it. Thanks

curlawngreen
01-29-2000, 05:37 PM
MINE DOES THE SAME LET'S HERE FROM YOU.THANKS<br>

Eric ELM
01-29-2000, 06:54 PM
This sounds like the famous reed valve problem to me. They have a new one that is better.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

ztrmower
01-29-2000, 08:13 PM
to anyone that is still having a problem with oil it the air cleaner please email or post your model#,spec#and serial #<br>there are many update kits issued for the ch25 both horozontal and vertical so i can give you the srevice bullition# and you can take it to your local dealer and have him fix it.or at least help you track it down.let me know if i can help anymore<br>ztrmower@netzero.net<br>david

mcambrose
01-29-2000, 10:12 PM
I have a Walker 42&quot; with 16hp magnum Kohler. It has to turn over about 10 seconds before it tries to start (with choke on). It is like there is not any gas in the fuel system and it has to be pumped from the tank. It starts as soon as it hits, so it just seems like a lack of fuel. Once it starts it runs fine and can be restarted quickly. It has about 400 hours on the engine. My other Kohler 16 hp magnums will start in two to three seconds or less.

MOW ED
01-31-2000, 03:23 PM
I had a scored cylinder on my Kohler 25 at 120hrs that they covered and at 400hrs the head gasket failed and was repaired with the kit that you are talking about.<br>Now that my warranty is expired are there any other surprises that await me this year?<br>The guy who did the service to my 25 said that there isnt much material left around the area that he performed the head gasket fix. Should I trade her in for a new one?

ztrmower
01-31-2000, 03:38 PM
mcambrose,<br>the problem is probably nothing to worry about,if your engine utilizes a fuel pump(some do not) the pulse line that runs into the crankcase may be brittle from the heat generated by the engine placement.i would replace this line and it should cure the problem.also you did not state if this problem is when cold or hot.<br>david

ztrmower
01-31-2000, 03:41 PM
the head gasket kit does look a little thin around the drain back hole but i do not see areason that it should cause any harm. be sume you keep all of the cooling fams on the engine clean.if these get clogged they raise the operating temps to a point that it could cause extreme temps(i.e. blowing another head gasket) but under normal conditions you should be fine<br>david

mcambrose
02-01-2000, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info on the kohler that has to crank a while to get gas. It is only when the engine is first started. After that it starts immediately. Also noticed that the clear fuel filter only has a very small amount of fuel in it normally. One other thing I did notice tonight when I showed the unit to a friend. When I rev the engine under no load it does great. If I put it under a load it acts like it might have water in the fuel or something. This may not happen when it is fully warmed up.

ztrmower
02-02-2000, 07:22 AM
i would pull the bowl off to check for water. try to put a cup under it to catch the feul as it comes out then you can see if there is any water<br>david<br>ps make sure you check the pulse line

AB Lawn Care
02-10-2000, 03:38 PM
How many years do you suggest you keep your trimmers for?We use still trimmers(stright shaft commercial duty)and we have not had any problems with them but one of our trimmer is 5 years old and starting to smoke.Is there a set number of years you would own a trimmer for before trading it in for a new one?<p>Thanks!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

ztrmower
02-10-2000, 05:00 PM
adam,<br> if you are still using the same trimmer for 5 years you are doing good.i would say if all of my customers took care of there stuff it will and is meant to last this long and even longer. i would not recomend trading your old ones in but maybe start looking for that good deal on some new equipment. if you start looking now you can get a better deal tan if you had to buy it. good luck!<br>drop me a line if you need anything else.<br>david

AB Lawn Care
02-10-2000, 05:28 PM
THANKS DAVID!

NeeMow
02-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Do you know of any other sources besides J Thomas or Dealerships to purchase a Eaton 771-037 Hydrostat?
NeeMow

traman
02-27-2005, 06:01 AM
where in fl. is your shop david ?

KINGjosh
02-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Hay ztr, so you recommend 30wt oil, i have been running 20w-50w. Is that any good? I f i switch to 30w what kind should i use?

pjslawncare/landscap
02-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi Dave, I have a Kaw 21 horse. Last summer the rt cylinder started cutting out a lot. Not it smokes and foules spark plugs in rt side. I suspect valve seal. Does this sound like seal to u? If so what procedure to use.

The Captain
02-27-2005, 11:26 AM
David,
I've got a 5+/_ yr old 52" Turf Tiger. I think the deck is out of level side to side withe th left edge being the lowest.

I get a "swale" like appearance on the lawn when I mow across, turn and come back with the left edge cut to the let edge cut.

I've read the owners manual as to how to adjust, but I don't/can't understand, if the deck should be up in the transport position or down in the mowing position (set at the normal cutting height). I don't want to loosen the jamb and adjusting nuts and have the deck drop unexpectedly.

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks.......Jim

rodfather
02-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Dave, do you know whether or not the main hydro on a Toro Groundsmaster 325D pump can be rebuilt with a new seal kit or not? The pump is fine, just leaking some oil. BTW, it was replaced like 5 years ago brand new with 1000 hours on it at the most right now.

I hate to replace it entirely because it goes for like 2 grand and then there is like 6 or so hours of labor on top.

Grassmechanic
02-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Guys, this thread is 5 years old. Is ztrmower still around???

Travis Followell
02-27-2005, 03:13 PM
Guys, this thread is 5 years old. Is ztrmower still around???
You beat me to it. I'd say he's long gone because he only has 18 posts and is still a new member.

KINGjosh
02-27-2005, 05:53 PM
That sucks

thinksnow
04-20-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm trying to help a friend adjust the valves on his FB460 and we can't find instructions anywhere. Is it a difficult job? Does anyone have the instructions?

ed2hess
04-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the info on the kohler that has to crank a while to get gas. It is only when the engine is first started. After that it starts immediately. Also noticed that the clear fuel filter only has a very small amount of fuel in it normally. One other thing I did notice tonight when I showed the unit to a friend. When I rev the engine under no load it does great. If I put it under a load it acts like it might have water in the fuel or something. This may not happen when it is fully warmed up.
I have a 18HP Kohler on a small Walker and noticed that there is only a small amount of fuel in the inline filter. I already had replaced the fuel filter and the lines in the tank. I could easily suck fuel with my mouth so I put in a new fuel pump and it didn't change anything. I had already pulled the carb and cleaned it out. My unit runs okay at full load but starts hard??

Woodnol
04-21-2005, 02:34 PM
I have a White GT205 Garden Tractor and am having a problem with the hydro transmission. It is hydro-gear transmission, model 718-0241. It won't go in gear, when I start it, it takes about 15 mins. of creeping forward and backward, to get it hot enough to go in gear. If I try to push the shifter, before it gets hot, it grins and will not go in gear. If on level or going down hill it will go into gear. If I put it in a pull, before it gets hot, it really grins. The transmission seems to be sealed, I can find a drain or filler plug, it does have a spin on filter. It is much worst in cold weather. The mower is 11 years old. Thanks for any help, you can provide.

Zoomer05
05-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Here is a question for you. Bought a new Gravely ZT1540 with a Kohler Courage engine . It was supposed to be a 15 hp (cover says 15) but the numbers say,and it was confirmed by Ariens, to be a 17 hp.
When I got it home the level was overfull on the stick by about 1/4 inch.
I drain out about a cup but I did not measure it. I then ran it for about 1 hour and while it was hot I drained the engine . I tipped it in different ways over a period of a few hours and emptied out the filter and could only get 31 oz. of oil out of it. The book says it should hold 1.6 quarts including the filter.
I then filled the filter and poured in the rest of 1 quart in .The level then read full . I now felt the stick was wrong so I put in 1/2 more quart. The level then reads about 1/2 inch above the full level after running it for about 15 seconds.
This is where it is now. I have not run it for fear of being over full but do not know if I should drain some out down to the full level .
The kohler tech at first said to put it at the full level but then said to order a new dipstick just to be safe. He said some oil might be trapped by the valves but not 1/2 qt.
So , is it normal to think that very close to 1.6qts should drain out or what?
Thanks.
Tom

SER
05-18-2005, 02:03 PM
ZTRMOWER;

Where in Florida are you located? I was in Seminole county for about 11 years. I am outside of Chicago, Il now.
SER :) :waving:

careco
05-28-2005, 08:46 PM
If any of you guys have any mower repair questions i am more than happy to help.I've been doing this for about 10 years now.Iown my own sales and service shop in Florida.I am not looking for bussiness from this just love to give a helping hand. Let me know if you all need anything<br>david<br>B and B Sales and Service,Inc
I am in Citrus County and in the task of putting a 18hp B & S in a 618 Grasshopper and might need some info!
You can email at rfoliver10@hotmail.com If you think you cna give me some info ! Thanks RF Oliver!

Homecutter
07-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Did you own Oviedo Mower and Saw by chance? I live right around the corner in Chuluota. I don't know hopw you can stand that cold wind in CHI-town!

Any ideas why a Kohler CH25, spec 68651 with 850 hours suddenly bent all 4 puch rods? Mine did. Oil level was fine. Engine suddenlty lost power.

Would it be possible for you to email me the Kohler Service buliten#'s for CH25S spec 68651? I need to order parts.

Thanks
Robert Wilburn

Restrorob
07-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Did you own Oviedo Mower and Saw by chance? I live right around the corner in Chuluota. I don't know hopw you can stand that cold wind in CHI-town!

Any ideas why a Kohler CH25, spec 68651 with 850 hours suddenly bent all 4 puch rods? Mine did. Oil level was fine. Engine suddenlty lost power.

Would it be possible for you to email me the Kohler Service buliten#'s for CH25S spec 68651? I need to order parts.

Thanks
Robert Wilburn

This is a super old post and you won't get a reply from this guy !
You mite want to start your own new thread, But while I'm here I've never seen one bend all 4 push rods, It would be hard to say without a tear-down. Have you done a tear-down inspection yet ?
What weight oil were you running ? There is 15 or so service bulletins on the CH engines, If you give me a idea which would interest you I can post them right here. You can also go here www.kohlerplus.com and click on enter as guest to get part numbers only and down load a service manual.

maddad64
06-12-2006, 03:51 PM
I have a Honda HRB215 that is not running real well. Took it to local repair shop and they said needed tune up and carb needed rebuilt. They kept it and said they did tune up and rebuilt carb, but runs just as bad. They didn't charge me, but the valve covers were off. Are the valves adjustable and would that cause it to run bad?

SKIPS
06-20-2006, 08:14 AM
We live in the Clearwater area & use our equipment to keep up with personal properties. The problem I could use is with a Toro 21 commercial WBH 84 vintage.
Model 22035 S/N 5000697 Suzuki

It has been fine except for being 22 years old. Has been fairly well maintained. Pulls off on 1st to 3rd pull.
Suddenly last week the governor? seems to have failed because the engine is goosey as to RPM. Real hard to get RPMs in a tolorable range...and not not over reved

Not sure if it really is the governor or pulling air somewhere it shouldn't.

Also I notice oil film/dirt on the deck under the front of the engine that never seemed to build up before.

By the way the engine seem to lack the power it had 2 wks ago.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Skip

Bayberry Lawncare
07-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I Have a Great Dane Super Surfer w/23HP Kawasaki Engine. When I pull the PTO Switch the Clutch does not engage. No Fuses blown. All Contacts have been cleaned. Is it safe to assume the clutch went bad?
"Side note", If the machine gets jarred around sometimes the clutch will engage.

MowerMedic77
07-09-2006, 07:38 AM
They really need to lock this thread:hammerhead:
Bayberry your clutch needs an air gap adjustment if you do a search on this in these boards you will find the directions on how to perform this repair or if you are not mech. inclined then stop by a repair shop and have it done its not a big job and most shops should do it while you wait.

Bayberry Lawncare
07-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Appreciate that.

Lawn Killer
04-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Restrorob

I placed a post in the Briggs carb form can you pop over and take a look at it instead of me rewritting it again?

Thanks.

I hope to get my Cub up and running again soon. My yard is too big to push mow. 5 arcers of grass.

Aslo I bag my clipping now is it better not to or keep on bagging?

again thanks for every one help in advance.
Lawn killer