PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the Cyclone Rake for Leaf clean-ups?

merrimacmill
03-11-2008, 04:46 AM
I saw a sponsor of this site, Cyclone rake, and I was just wondering if anyones using these for spring/fall clean ups. They seem to be a great idea, but they seem geared more toward the home owner rather than the commercial user.

I have a little JD L110 that I could use specifically for that. I was thinking that I could go around with the hose attachment and get the leaves out of the beds, fence area, and areas where the mower won't fit. Then mow the grass with it. Which would suck up and mulch all the leaves. Then back the machine into my 14ft landscape trailer (with plywood sides) and dump the debris on a tarp in the trailer for easy removal.

Heres the link to their site. http://www.cyclonerake.tv/

I'm just wondering everyones opinions on these. I imagine it would be pretty useful if it could hold up to commercial use..

grass_cuttin_fool
03-11-2008, 08:33 AM
I have one and I love it...best way I have ever done leaf removal...best advice I have is too NOT get the largest ....get the commander pro...alot easier to get around with and easier on the mower also....plus you still have the 6.5 engine. I had several people tell me this but I was hard headed and got the commercial pro....it works fine but is kinda large behind the mower. Ive used mine for 2 years and love it....at the time they didnt make the XL.
I bought the hoses to suck leaves from beds but I prefer to rake or blow them...I think its faster plus if they are mulched the CR will suck the mulch from the beds too. But if you have window wells to be cleaned or an outside stair well going to a basement then the hose system is perfect.
The worse thing I can say about it is the alum frame...it is strong but I have bumped mine against trees and it has some battle scars....but overall thats all I can say bad about it and that isnt bad...you have to be careful is all

wayne

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Ive done so much research on them cause i saw the ad for them on lawn site too. I think im gona try one this year for fall cleanups aswell w/ all the attachments and see how its goes. I was gona get the XL cause they said it was made for commercial use but now since grass cuttin fool mentioned it makes more sense to get the smaller one. I was just worried that the smaller motor wouldn't hold up as well. We shall see this fall.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-12-2008, 08:36 PM
that lil briggs has plenty of motor for the job....keep a clean filter and the oil changed and it should last a long time. I have a 48 inch deck and the commercial pro is 54 inches wide...that is where part of the problem is....the mower will fit but not the CR. Where as the commander pro is 48'' and should fit where the mower does easy.
I know everyone says to get the most HP you can on any mower.....6.5 is a plenty...Ive never had any need for more...it will handle as many as the deck can pass.

wayne

merrimacmill
03-12-2008, 10:39 PM
You have to buy that adapter for the side discharge for like 80 dollars I think it is correct?

Doesn't make sense that the connector for the mowing deck is an "accessory" for the rake..

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-12-2008, 10:53 PM
I was wondering the same thing, until i read that it has more vacuum and less friction therefore more power than the factory mower adapter on our mowers!!

corey4671
03-12-2008, 10:54 PM
wayne, weren't you the guy who had pics posted using the CR to load onto a dump trailer? That would have been my reason to get the XL with that 9hp motor, to have plenty of UMPH to blow the leaves into a box.
Someone asked about the boot. It is my understanding the boot they sell won't fit my Everride chute, not by a long shot. What I did for my Agri Fab vac was to call Trac Vac and have them make me a boot. Works great.
Also, this is just my experience....I first blow all the leaves I can out into the yard. Run over them with the mower to mulch them. If the leaves are too heavy to just mulch into the turf THEN go back with the vac and pick them up. I am seriously considering an accelerator catcher to use this way. Less space on the trailer and less cost.....:confused:

Jay Ray
03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I have a little JD L110 that I could use specifically for that. I was thinking that I could go around with the hose attachment and get the leaves out of the beds, fence area, and areas where the mower won't fit. Then mow the grass with it. Which would suck up and mulch all the leaves. Then back the machine into my 14ft landscape trailer (with plywood sides) and dump the debris on a tarp in the trailer for easy removal.

I have an older small one and like it. I've mainly used it where it can be dumped on site in the woods. The frame will articulate a good bit up and down with the play in the pins, but I'm not sure there is enough play in it to back it up and down a trailer ramp. Maybe someone has tried it.

Great idea to just dump it in the trailer on a tarp.

merrimacmill
03-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Ya, it seems to me that theres no "perfect way" of doing fall clean-ups. I mean you can use a leaf loader, but then you need a way to get everything to the truck. And this thing seems like a good idea. I don't have a dump trailer so thats why I think on the tarp would be good. I don't imagine that it could weigh so much that 2 guys couldn't pull it out.

Jay Ray
03-13-2008, 12:02 AM
The CR along with the mower blades cuts them up pretty good, and packs them good in the canvas bag, and you can get 1000 lbs. of leaves faster than you think.

I would maybe sand the floor and sides of the trailer a little, pull the slivers out of the floor, and wax it even if just to spray it with Thompson's water seal, something to make it more slippery. Then put a good cinch knot on the tarp and winch it out or maybe pull it out with the rider.

At my age no way am I going to hump it out with brute force.

The more I think about your idea the more I like it.

merrimacmill
03-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Ya, it would be perfect if I had a dump trailer. But with the landscape trailer, it will work pretty good as well.

Thats how I'm planning on doing mulch this year. I'm going to build the wood sides, then fill it up with mulch. Drive the loader in and scoop it out, distribute it, untill its gone.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-13-2008, 08:20 AM
You have to buy that adapter for the side discharge for like 80 dollars I think it is correct?

Doesn't make sense that the connector for the mowing deck is an "accessory" for the rake..

I think the reasoning is incase you allready have a grass catcher...you can just slip the hose over the pipe going to the catcher and not have to buy it

wayne

grass_cuttin_fool
03-13-2008, 08:24 AM
wayne, weren't you the guy who had pics posted using the CR to load onto a dump trailer? That would have been my reason to get the XL with that 9hp motor, to have plenty of UMPH to blow the leaves into a box.
Someone asked about the boot. It is my understanding the boot they sell won't fit my Everride chute, not by a long shot. What I did for my Agri Fab vac was to call Trac Vac and have them make me a boot. Works great.
Also, this is just my experience....I first blow all the leaves I can out into the yard. Run over them with the mower to mulch them. If the leaves are too heavy to just mulch into the turf THEN go back with the vac and pick them up. I am seriously considering an accelerator catcher to use this way. Less space on the trailer and less cost.....:confused:

Yep that was me using it to load into a dump trailer.....it did ok just slow. Im not sure how much better the larger engine would be...I mean you have to look at the size of the impellar compared to a profesional or I should say dedicated loader...

wayne

grass_cuttin_fool
03-13-2008, 09:18 AM
I have an older small one and like it. I've mainly used it where it can be dumped on site in the woods. The frame will articulate a good bit up and down with the play in the pins, but I'm not sure there is enough play in it to back it up and down a trailer ramp. Maybe someone has tried it.

Great idea to just dump it in the trailer on a tarp.

I can back up on my trailer far enough to get the CR on it.....it will bind up and I cant back it and the mower on at the same time

wayne

Runner
03-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Read post #39 (and beyond) of this old thread. I hope it helps. :)
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=157175&highlight=cyclone+rake&page=4

mock
03-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Me personaly I think there jucnk unless you modify it your self we have one and let me tell you it looks nothing like a cyclone anymore also stay away form tree's with the thing the bag will ripe like paper because you dont fell it with it behide a Z I'll get some pic's and put them on. we call it the leaferator because it looks like a commercial referigerator with a motor and wheels.

mock
03-15-2008, 03:13 PM
here is a pic of the cyclone made over for commercial use

mock
03-15-2008, 03:36 PM
here is a pic of the cyclone made over for commercial use

merrimacmill
03-15-2008, 03:39 PM
That looks pretty serious. I wonder why they don't offer a model like that for the commercial user. Looks to me like their commercial model just has a bigger engine and thats it...

mock
03-15-2008, 03:48 PM
thats right we had to make a real leaf machine the original just did not cut it for us using it for commercail use. it works graet now. just replacing the hose that sucks.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Curious Mock....did you keep the original frame or make a new one....sure would like to see some other pictures of it from the back and sides. I think with good maintenance the engine and blower will out last the other parts of it

wayne

mock
03-15-2008, 07:24 PM
your right on the motor part but we changed ours after it blew and yeah i'll get some more pics of it ,but it's still the same frame but reenforced a whole lot more than a stock one is they biuld them to light to began with.