PDA

View Full Version : How to bid

grassman2008
03-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Okay--the snow pack is now less than a foot, I just passed my professional landscaper certification test in NH, and I'm ready to star soliciting work( I received some loose commitments from people last fall--a lawyer I know promised me "all the work I can handle"). The thing is, I don't have a solid idea just how to price a job. My inclination is to estimate how long it will take, and to charge a flat rate for me and my partner(my fiancee). But how do I charge for things such as mulching shrub beds? Time and materials? How much do I mark up materials such as fertilizer, preemergents, mulch, etc.? I would rather shelve the entire business idea than do work for too little. Any advise from the pros out there would be very welcome. I'm assuming that most started out just like me.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
03-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Will you be doing landscape installs only ? You may want to move this thread to the Landscape section. Most of Us have a per man hour figure we like to make. And a flat rate per hour on different types of Jobs we do. Some base there figures on sq.ft You can also get free estimates to see what other company's are charging in your area .

ber8985
03-12-2008, 08:38 PM
I to started a landscape business in Ohio. This is my 2nd year been in the landscaping business for 5 years. Well, you charge mulch by the cubic yard, here its 27.00 plus $35 for labor on it. I pretty sure you can go up on that price New England areas are more expensive. Pruning by the hour. Estimate by walking around the property and talking it over with your partner. Its all trail and error, but make sure you learn from your mistakes!!! that is the key.
and a 10% to 15% mark up on all products plus your hourly rate.
Good Luck