PDA

View Full Version : what to use for grubbing mesquites?

Blyth
03-11-2008, 11:47 AM
This is probably going to only be specific to a certain area, but I will ask anyway. Those of you that do it, what attachment do you use on your skid to grub mesquites? I haven't found very much of anything that I thought would work real well.

http://www.treeterminator.com/grubber.htm

This is the only one that I have found that I felt really confident in.. but then again, I haven't used one.. and my exprience is very limited. I am not real sure that it would do the trick.. but I would like information and opinions.

thanks.

bobcat_ron
03-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I think a 4-in-1 combo bucket would be money better spent.

YellowDogSVC
03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Blyth, depends on how big those mesquites are. Some just won't come out (like hackberries). though it's a double step, you might consider shearing them (they shear easy) and look at a blue diamond stump bucket to pop them up. They can have an extensive root system if the soil is deep and you need leverage. Your tooth bucket will get bowed and bent on the bigger trees if they are rooted good.

chiroz
03-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Hmmmm, my new hobby, grubbing mesquite. I have been using a stump bucket. It works well. My neighbor shreds them with a skid steer mounted rotary mower then sprays Remedy/diesel on the stump. Many around here shear them and immediately spray the stump with the aforementioned mix.

I saw an interesting attachment called Grub-n-Rake made by Dan Moran of Dans Machine and welding in Brady TX. I would post the link but I cannot get it to work. On his web site he has a video of the machine grubbing mesquite and cedar (juniper). Basically the machine is a huge rake (not root grapple rake) with a grubber that hydraulically moves into position when needed. It then uses the bucket tilt to pop out the trees about 8" below the ground. When not in use the grubber folds out of the way allowing for use of the rake.

You may want to also check out Brush Busters http://texnat.tamu.edu/BrushBusters/index.htm for info on getting rid of mesquite.

One other thing I use is my root grapple. I modified the grapple with a "v" shaped piece of steel plate welded between the two center tines of my root grapple.... kind of like a double gusset that meets in the shape of a "v". It gives my root grapple some bite bellow ground and I can pop out the trees and continuing on with use of my grapple. I works fairly well.

Central Texas has a nice supply of mesquite to experiment on.

YellowDogSVC
03-11-2008, 11:31 PM
the excavator method is my personal fav but that's a lot to haul for some jobs.

Construct'O
03-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Hmmmm, my new hobby, grubbing mesquite. I have been using a stump bucket. It works well. My neighbor shreds them with a skid steer mounted rotary mower then sprays Remedy/diesel on the stump. Many around here shear them and immediately spray the stump with the aforementioned mix.

I saw an interesting attachment called Grub-n-Rake made by Dan Moran of Dans Machine and welding in Brady TX. I would post the link but I cannot get it to work. On his web site he has a video of the machine grubbing mesquite and cedar (juniper). Basically the machine is a huge rake (not root grapple rake) with a grubber that hydraulically moves into position when needed. It then uses the bucket tilt to pop out the trees about 8" below the ground. When not in use the grubber folds out of the way allowing for use of the rake.

You may want to also check out Brush Busters http://texnat.tamu.edu/BrushBusters/index.htm for info on getting rid of mesquite.

One other thing I use is my root grapple. I modified the grapple with a "v" shaped piece of steel plate welded between the two center tines of my root grapple.... kind of like a double gusset that meets in the shape of a "v". It gives my root grapple some bite bellow ground and I can pop out the trees and continuing on with use of my grapple. I works fairly well.

Central Texas has a nice supply of mesquite to experiment on.

Could you post some pictures????:usflag:

chiroz
03-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Sorry, I don't have any pictures. The link is http://www.dansmachineandwelding.com/catalog/item/3018771/2542576.htm However, I have not been able to get it to work for about a week. The machine is called Grub-N-Rake.

chiroz
03-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Try this link for a very small picture of an early machine.

http://www.davidhallattorney.com/index.htm?services/index.htm~main

It is the patent attorney for the Grub-N-Rake. The machine I saw must have been a later model as it looked more refined and the grubber was a little smaller.

chiroz
03-12-2008, 12:12 AM
The machine I saw looked like a rake with this machine attached http://www.powergrubber.com/index.htm. except the grubber could be raised or lowered hydraulically.

Blyth
03-12-2008, 11:09 AM
chiroz.. where are you from.. I am in Brownwood..and I am only about an hour from Brady.

chiroz
03-12-2008, 03:31 PM
May TX, just 15 minutes from Brownwood.

Blyth
03-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Ah...right in my backyard I see...:)

drtyrffnek
03-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Here Is what we use on our 4640 Gehl Turbo! Mesquite grubbing is over half our buisness! We do alot of ranch work and Real Estate buisness. Our 62hp gehl does a really good job. But sometimes I have to snap them off once I get pretty deep! It all depends on what size ur Skid Steer is! Kinda wish I had a Backhoe company, They charge somewhere around 2,000 an acre to do mesquite grubbing! So I get quite a bit of buisness cause i charge way less! I'll have other pictures of it later on with it attached and on a job site! By the way I live In Southern New Mexico , so there is nothing but oilfield patches filled with mesquite!! Hope this kinda of helps!!

drtyrffnek
03-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Here goes some other pics. It's called a "Stump Bucket Grappler" works miracles on mesquite srubs!!

NEUSWEDE
03-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Here goes some other pics. It's called a "Stump Bucket Grappler" works miracles on mesquite srubs!!

is that one AUX hydro line kinked? How did you bend that?

YellowDogSVC
03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
that bucket looks handy for placing boulders too.. How do you like those tracks? Are those the McLarens?

Blyth
03-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your reply. Who makes that stump bucket grappler? What kind of over-tire-tracks you running?

thanks,

blyth

drtyrffnek
03-13-2009, 01:35 PM
The AUX line ended up busting off and that was the best way i could fix it. It actually works good like that. Yup those are Mclarens tracks yes sir those tracks are awesome but require alot of maintence. But I wouldn't trade those in for nothing in the world. And the stump bucket we ordered it online from a guy out of Lubbock, T.X and I think it's an XSG Bucket Iwould have to get back to u on that but It works wonders with mesquite grubbing, tree stumps ,Rocks and boulders and actually beleive it or not we have done demolition work with It. Picking up shed roof tops in one pieace, wall sections and we started to clear out burned down house's also.

YellowDogSVC
03-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Howdy Blyth! How are things up north? slow and wet here this week!

Blyth
03-14-2009, 12:36 AM
I think that guy in Lubbock use to sell stuff on ebay...I just can't remember his handle on ebay or his website. If you remember... let me know..I would appreciate it.

Hey.. YellowDog... yep...things are wet and cold here...and slow...just trying to get some spring business....We will see how it goes....I am checking into getting some more magnets for the truck and all. How are things with you?

YellowDogSVC
03-14-2009, 12:40 AM
things are good. Just wet and slow too! Have some work for the next two weeks then I need to get some bids in. I think I'll be okay, though. Have a lot of referral business and I'm cleaning up after the other guys!

Blyth
03-14-2009, 12:50 AM
It sounds like you have a good rep. down there in your neck of the woods..I am sure you will have the business that you need.

Bleed Green
03-14-2009, 01:06 AM
what is grubbing mosquitoes? Never heard of that before.

BOB&ME
03-14-2009, 11:58 AM
I think a 4-in-1 combo bucket would be money better spent.

67" 4 in 1 forsale if you need the second one!:canadaflag:

drtyrffnek
03-14-2009, 02:47 PM
sure will, I'll find that purchase receipt If possible! I'll let know though.

drtyrffnek
03-14-2009, 02:57 PM
what is grubbing mosquitoes? Never heard of that before.

Okay seriously, It is called " Mesquite Grubbing " , It grows pretty wild around here in Southern New Mexico, West Texas. It is a wild bush that grows out like weeds but tree like. And I have a stump bucket grappler that pulls them out!

jaybird24
03-14-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm not real familiar with mesquites, but this is what we use for ripping out brush, piling brush, logs, picking up boulders, or all kinds of other things. We went through a few "heavy duty" grapples before we found this, and it is "heavy duty".

http://www.sidneyattachments.com/6tinegrapple.html

free_2b_2013
05-29-2011, 04:34 PM
@ Chiroz & Blyth
My dad and I are looking into getting into the grubbing/excavation type work with a midsized excavator, we are looking to get into it more as a hobby,i would be the one running the business mostly. He is in good financial standing so we arent looking to become rich off it just make more than what we spend. But in the past week he has talked himself out of it because he doesnt think we could make a go,i think we could between trenching and all the other things you can do with it. I was wondering what yall use(excavator or bobcat) Im asking yall because we are in the same general area, im from midland. He is also concerned about the insurance for liability and for the machine. So i was just wondering how yall are making out so i could try to convince him before he trys to go into shredding and disking small lots(which i dont want to do) If yall dont want to share this info thats fine too. Thanks

SimmonsBrush&Dirt
07-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Howdy,

I am a new member and ran across this post. Grubbing is the primary service my business provides. I use a skid steer and a patented attachment of our own design. I use a Takeuchi TL 150 for many reasons:

-They have a lot of power.
-They have the sturdiest quick-tack which is absolutely essential for the use of our attachment. Most quick-tacks rely on the attachment for rigidity. The Takeuchi does not have that limitation and therefor enables the use of our design.

We are doing a lot of work putting CRP land back in production. We can take down some very large trees, however there is a size limit at which point we suggest an excavator be used. Depending on moisture and type of soil, we have a high success rate at pulling up the tap root.

We have a method of grubbing, raking, and disposing of the mesquites that leaves no large mounds of dirt on the land or evidence that the mesquites were there in the first place.

You can check out the grubbing attachment at Facebook.com/SimmonsBrush&DirtWorks. We primarily perform grubbing as a service ourselves but we also sell our attachment made-to-order. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions about grubbing. We have been doing this for a very long time and have a lot of insight.

YellowDogSVC
07-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Howdy,

I am a new member and ran across this post. .

Welcome to LS. I know this thread is old but there is always a need for mesquite control. I'd like to know more about what you do. Post some pics sometime. I'm down around San Antonio.. not sure where you are. I mostly deal with cedar in my area but I was just in the Brownwood area and saw a need for mesquite control.

I'd personally like to use an excavator for removing trees then put them through a tub grinder. Do you mostly burn, chip, or shred?

SimmonsBrush&Dirt
08-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Howdy YellowDog,
I apologize for the late reply. I've been out on a very remote job with no Internet or cel service. We are located in Quanah, Tx near the junction of the Red river and the southeast corner of the panhandle. We have a grubber designed for cedar as well although we don't use it often.

As for disposal, with farm land, we typically just burn the pile after checking with local authorities as to an effective burn ban. With pasture land, the owner generally does not want the expense of piling and burning. The cattle don't care and it saves him money.

Tracks are an issue. The pulling motion stretches them and substandard tracks don't last long. Camoplast and Bridgestone seem to be the ones we have the most success with. Even with high quality tracks we try to get about 30 hours on a pair before we do any serious grubbing with even medium size trees.

As far as tree size it varies a lot depending on moisture and soil type. For mesquites we can handle some large ones but do have a cut-off point at which an excavator is recommended. On the job I just finished, I was taking down Salt Cedars, Cottonwoods, and even some Elms' 30' and taller. In some cases it's
more about the root system than the trunk diameter or height.

I was unable to upload a video here as my Internet connection is still not great here at the house. You can e-mail me at maychild74@gmail.com and I'll send you a video.