PDA

View Full Version : tailgate ramp for pickup

prizeprop
03-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Has anyone ever used one of these?I was thinking of getting one to use on my truck so I could do some lawns while my crew is out with the trailer.It would be good to transport mowers to the shop also.I figured I could do some of the lawns a little out of the way. I have another trailer but hate pulling it and this would be more convienant.Any input or experience would be appreciated. http://www.discountramps.com/tailgate_ramp.htm

buttaluv
03-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I really like the idea, I'm thinking about doing that myself...I just hate the price, hell you can get a little trailer for the same price or cheaper...but....I wanna get away from pulling the trailer all the time! Six to one/half dozen to another...

jdmcat
03-11-2008, 05:37 PM
it looks like you can't close the tailgate with that one, smaller objects could roll right out of your truck. i have seen them before that actually replace your tailgate, if i come across the link i will post it.

here it is

http://www.tailgateramps.com/

prizeprop
03-11-2008, 06:22 PM
it looks like you can't close the tailgate with that one, smaller objects could roll right out of your truck. i have seen them before that actually replace your tailgate, if i come across the link i will post it.

here it is

http://www.tailgateramps.com/I like that one also,and seems better.I might go ahead and order after a little more research.It's $200 more but thats not an issue.Have to see how much shipping also.

prizeprop
03-11-2008, 06:26 PM
I really like the idea, I'm thinking about doing that myself...I just hate the price, hell you can get a little trailer for the same price or cheaper...but....I wanna get away from pulling the trailer all the time! Six to one/half dozen to another...Plus I can just go home and park it in the driveway for the next day and not have to go back to the yard and unload everything.

packey
03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
I just looked at the tailgate ramp and I think I am going to order one. those are sweet no more risking my neck getting the wb off the back of the truck

Ooomwizard
03-11-2008, 07:46 PM
OMG, big bucks.

I just bought the $40 aluminum ramp ends that you put on a 8 foot 2 X 8 piece of lumber. Drilled four pin holes in my tailgate for locking pins to keep ramp at right spacing and to not slide around (but dont' use the pins anymore anyways.)

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=ramp&Nty=1&D=ramp&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

GL

packey
03-11-2008, 08:16 PM
ok I just read about the idea with ramp ends let me say this. You are crazy. they might be ok for ocasional work but after last spring I will never never never never never make that mistake again. I have been operating z mower for years and had the bright idea of saving a few bucks. I but some ramp ends for the 12 inch wide boards and built some ramps. it was all well and good untill the 8th time i backed the z down the ramps a sftey pin poped and the ramp slid out from under the rear tier guess what happened.the z and I did a back flip off the truck I thought as I was going over how will I explain this to my wife. well I was real luck and did only minor damage tothe mower and to myself with a skint elbow I was lucky. You know what makes it worse every thing in my body told me this was a horrible idea but I was trying to be cheap. You will never catch me doing that again. If you think I am the only one that has had something like that happen just start asking around I talked with a guy who had a similar incident with a wb and broke his leg over it along with messing the mower up. He was no newbie either had over 15 years with those types of mowers. So go ahead and think we are crazy for wanting to spend a little up front but do not cry when you dump your machine and you spend 1500 on the emergency room sowing up a couple of lacerations. the tailgare ramp is something I have been thinking about ever since that time and man I am glad someone build one becsue it will save me alot of headacke doing it myself.

TScapes
03-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I just looked at the tailgate ramp and I think I am going to order one. those are sweet no more risking my neck getting the wb off the back of the truck

I don't see how you guys do this. This is Nuts!:hammerhead:

The actual ramp that is fixed and part of your truck is a much smarter and SAFER way than simply using the cheap ramps you see at the retail stores and for four wheelers. I feel uneasy just loading my four wheeler sometimes, I can't even fathom trying to load, unload a wb or a z!:dizzy:

Personally, I worked for a company in Atlanta during the Olympics in '96 and we converted two trucks that pulled trailers on a regular basis to this type of set up. The ramps folded up and replaced the tailgate. We hauled anything from a 36 to a 48 in them. We did this b/c those crews did work downtown Atlanta, and driving a trailer downtown was a royal pain, not to mention parking. This way, the crew was able to park in a regular designated loading zone in a regular parking spot. They could manuver the vehicle just as a normal truck. It was great! Theft was a concern b/c of no racks, but everything was chained or cabled to the ramp (mesh and steel). I think this is perfect for that scenerio. However, if you are simply doing neighborhood mowing, I think a trailer is the best and safest way to go!

green_mark
03-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Check out our ramps at www.HandyRamp.com

They use the existing latching and hinging mechanisms so no alterations are needed on the truck.

Usually, a 15 second install.

695.00 for pickup models

buttaluv
03-12-2008, 01:15 PM
that looks intersting, it looks like it just lays in the bed of the truck, slides in and out under the platform...

green_mark
03-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, that one is our Hide Away model and fits all normal truck beds.

The one I was referencing is the Handy Ramp for pickups and I see that the photo that should be there is not.

So here is what that ramp looks like.

buttaluv
03-12-2008, 03:17 PM
how much is that Hide Away model? I'm kind of liking that one, also what about shipping? say to Missouri

green_mark
03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
695.00 plus shipping of 125.00

prizeprop
03-12-2008, 03:41 PM
695.00 plus shipping of 125.00
how do you put the the ramp in the bed with the mower there?

prizeprop
03-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Check out our ramps at www.HandyRamp.com

They use the existing latching and hinging mechanisms so no alterations are needed on the truck.

Usually, a 15 second install.

695.00 for pickup modelsI would put your prices on the site.Usually when I'm researching an idea, if its to much work on my end to find out, I'll go to the next site. just a suggestion.

buttaluv
03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
how much is that Hide Away model? I'm kind of liking that one, also what about shipping? say to Missouri

oh, I thought the Tailgate version was 695.00, due to the picture being incorrect...so how much is the tailgate version then?

and am I correct in assuming that the Hide Away is a platform persay and the mower will just set on top, the ramp slides in with rollers or something?

green_mark
03-13-2008, 06:55 PM
oh, I thought the Tailgate version was 695.00, due to the picture being incorrect...so how much is the tailgate version then?

and am I correct in assuming that the Hide Away is a platform persay and the mower will just set on top, the ramp slides in with rollers or something?

Both units are 695.00

green_mark
03-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Forgot to answer all your questions, sorry.

The Hide Away ramp is on a 5/8 round rail that does not get clogged on any debris that may get in.

Missel
03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
These ramps are definately worth the investment. I have used the ramp numerous times for different applications. The good thing is that you can usually load things that require two people just by yourself. I had one for my GMC and I am getting another one for my Ford. The ramps hinge on the existing latches that the tailgate fits into. The ramp I purchased is called The Buddy Ramp. Just make sure that you have a safety latch to lock the ramp when you are not using it as it could possibly fall down if the cable is pulled by little ones if you have any!

dvblandscaping
03-28-2008, 09:21 PM
I need a fold up ramp for a flatbed. It needs to be about 11 feet long. Any suggestions?

green_mark
03-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I need a fold up ramp for a flatbed. It needs to be about 11 feet long. Any suggestions?

email me a photo of your flatbed and then call me to discuss the options.
Email is sales@HandyRamp.com
Phone is 651-295-8388

Kilroy
03-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes, that one is our Hide Away model and fits all normal truck beds.

The one I was referencing is the Handy Ramp for pickups and I see that the photo that should be there is not.

So here is what that ramp looks like.Can you tell us a little about this folding ramp? How long is it? What's the load capacity? I'm assuming it fits in the tailgate slots. What holds the ramp closed? How long is it in the open position? How high is it in the closed position? Thanks.

green_mark
03-31-2008, 01:04 PM
The tailgate will hold up to 2,000 lbs.

It folds out to 92".

It attach's to your normal tailgate pivot and latch system.

After the first install it will take about 15 - 30 seconds to install.

No damage or modifications to your truck ever!

Non skid finish.

Price is 695.00 plus freight.

651-295-8388 Mark

Mow Mony
01-22-2014, 11:23 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=102853&stc=1&d=1205341122

yes I know this is an old thread...but has anyone used one of these handy ramps? If so how has it held up? Looking at this one or a tailgater ramp. any input would be great. thanks!

DuallyVette
01-23-2014, 12:26 AM
ok I just read about the idea with ramp ends let me say this. You are crazy. they might be ok for ocasional work but after last spring I will never never never never never make that mistake again. I have been operating z mower for years and had the bright idea of saving a few bucks. I but some ramp ends for the 12 inch wide boards and built some ramps. it was all well and good untill the 8th time i backed the z down the ramps a sftey pin poped and the ramp slid out from under the rear tier guess what happened.the z and I did a back flip off the truck I thought as I was going over how will I explain this to my wife. well I was real luck and did only minor damage tothe mower and to myself with a skint elbow I was lucky. You know what makes it worse every thing in my body told me this was a horrible idea but I was trying to be cheap. You will never catch me doing that again. If you think I am the only one that has had something like that happen just start asking around I talked with a guy who had a similar incident with a wb and broke his leg over it along with messing the mower up. He was no newbie either had over 15 years with those types of mowers. So go ahead and think we are crazy for wanting to spend a little up front but do not cry when you dump your machine and you spend 1500 on the emergency room sowing up a couple of lacerations. the tailgare ramp is something I have been thinking about ever since that time and man I am glad someone build one becsue it will save me alot of headacke doing it myself.

totally agree. The first time i unloaded a 48in wb, i eased the mower about a third of the way down. stopped. and when i started to finish the descent, the mower wheels,snatched the ramps off the edge of the tailgate. This was using aluminum ramps with cam straps securing the ramps to the truck

unkownfl
01-23-2014, 12:37 AM
Has anyone ever used one of these?I was thinking of getting one to use on my truck so I could do some lawns while my crew is out with the trailer.It would be good to transport mowers to the shop also.I figured I could do some of the lawns a little out of the way. I have another trailer but hate pulling it and this would be more convienant.Any input or experience would be appreciated. http://www.discountramps.com/tailgate_ramp.htm

I throw my mowers in my truck with just simple craftsman ramps. I tried looking into those safe t ramps but they always say discontinued everywhere I find them. I can tell you I dumped my Wright 48 at the top. I had the front wheels in the bed and the back knocked the ramps off the tail gate. The mower went vertical and my neighbor helped me lift the rest of it into the truck. With you being up north I'm guessing you mower pretty low so it will be a PIA as your deck will catch the top of the ramps at the tail gate going down.

Mow Mony
01-23-2014, 01:46 AM
totally agree. The first time i unloaded a 48in wb, i eased the mower about a third of the way down. stopped. and when i started to finish the descent, the mower wheels,snatched the ramps off the edge of the tailgate. This was using aluminum ramps with cam straps securing the ramps to the truck

I throw my mowers in my truck with just simple craftsman ramps. I tried looking into those safe t ramps but they always say discontinued everywhere I find them. I can tell you I dumped my Wright 48 at the top. I had the front wheels in the bed and the back knocked the ramps off the tail gate. The mower went vertical and my neighbor helped me lift the rest of it into the truck. With you being up north I'm guessing you mower pretty low so it will be a PIA as your deck will catch the top of the ramps at the tail gate going down.

I think we can all agree detachable ramps are not the way to go, and not what I'm interested in.

Who has experience using any of the manufactured folding ramps that replace the pickup tailgate? I'm committed to buying one of them, but want some real world reviews since I cant see any of them in person. Will be used on a mowing route with 20-25 lawns per day unloading/loading an exmark WB mower... so I need durable, sturdy, and easy of use.

Three in contention are-

Tailgater

handyramp

bannerman
http://www.sportsturfmagic.com/ProductPages/TailGateRamp.html

anyone have actual experience with one of these? or another company that makes one? Good or bad I would like to hear it. Will be using it on a 2005 ram 1500 longbed. At $900 shipped and some wait time for it to be built I don't want to make the wrong choice. thanks

Valk
01-23-2014, 05:53 PM
No experience here using a Z or stand-on...but you won't really know until you try it whether the mower will catch midway at the top. W/ some WBs you can tilt the mower back to avoid this...just can't do it w/ a Z or stand-on. The longer the ramps coupled with a truckbed closer to the ground...=...the better your chances.

Mow Mony
01-23-2014, 09:36 PM
No experience here using a Z or stand-on...but you won't really know until you try it whether the mower will catch midway at the top. W/ some WBs you can tilt the mower back to avoid this...just can't do it w/ a Z or stand-on. The longer the ramps coupled with a truckbed closer to the ground...=...the better your chances.

yeah with the walkbehinds everyone is trained to keep the front wheels up when loading so the deck doesn't hit, same with removal. We have to do this even on our trailer, though our gate mesh usually only lasts about 2-3 seasons before it gets snagged and then starts breaking.

All the trucks we will use with a tailgate ramp setup are 2wd 1500 which are closer to the ground. I've even thought of lowering the rear 2" to eliminate most of the rake if we need to help loading, but will have to get everything loaded and see how it sits before making a decision on that.

On another note, we have a good friend who welds and fabricates and is very talented, talked to him today and he is going to build us a dovetail and gate setup for our ram. excited to get the ball rolling on this truck build.

I would still like to hear peoples experience with these ramps though just in case we decided to order one down the road.

Triple L
01-23-2014, 09:40 PM
yeah with the walkbehinds everyone is trained to keep the front wheels up when loading so the deck doesn't hit, same with removal. We have to do this even on our trailer, though our gate mesh usually only lasts about 2-3 seasons before it gets snagged and then starts breaking.

All the trucks we will use with a tailgate ramp setup are 2wd 1500 which are closer to the ground. I've even thought of lowering the rear 2" to eliminate most of the rake if we need to help loading, but will have to get everything loaded and see how it sits before making a decision on that.

On another note, we have a good friend who welds and fabricates and is very talented, talked to him today and he is going to build us a dovetail and gate setup for our ram. excited to get the ball rolling on this truck build.

I would still like to hear peoples experience with these ramps though just in case we decided to order one down the road.

Sweet please post a picture when you get the dovetail and gate setup all done, I've always thought that was an awesome idea, plus you get more bed room
Posted via Mobile Device

Mow Mony
01-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Sweet please post a picture when you get the dovetail and gate setup all done, I've always thought that was an awesome idea, plus you get more bed room
Posted via Mobile Device

will do! That extra space should come in handy and the gate will be shorter and therefore not as heavy, which will be nice on a tight route lawn truck.

Triple L
01-24-2014, 06:40 PM
will do! That extra space should come in handy and the gate will be shorter and therefore not as heavy, which will be nice on a tight route lawn truck.

Or you could just buy one from these guys...

http://primetruckandtrailer.com/
Posted via Mobile Device

peeklandscaping
01-27-2014, 02:23 AM
I have a tailgate ramp for sale if you're interested. I modified it to fit a Toyota Tacoma, so it'll need some work to operate again. PM if interested!

Richard Martin
01-27-2014, 06:14 AM
I use these ramps:

http://www.discountramps.com/images/lawn-mower-ramp.jpg

Picture courtesy of http://www.discountramps.com/lawn-mower-ramp.htm

I use them exactly as pictured above. They're a 3600 pound capacity ramp so there is ZERO chance of them ever bending. I have mine attached to the trailer with chains. There are 4 reasons for chains.

1: It makes them harder to steal. Someone won't just walk up and carry them off.
2: I have the chains at the perfect length so when the chain is stretched out the ramps are placed in the correct spot for my mower.
3: The chains keep the ramps from falling off of the trailer when I'm loading mowers.
4: When I put the ramps in the trailer I flip the ramps around and the chains keep the ramps from falling out of the trailer if I hit a big bump when transporting them. I do bungee the ramps to the trailer but the chains add an extra level of protection.