PDA

View Full Version : mulch

BRICKGUY
03-11-2008, 05:15 PM
is it ok to mulch right over top of wash stone to save time and money

PSUturf
03-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes, if you want to be known for cutting corners and don't care about quality.

STRINGALATION
03-12-2008, 01:35 AM
same her. i insist on removing old mulch materials. part of professionalism and i like 4-6" of mulch so a lot of times not enough room and i will tell someone that you already have brown under black and it will just cost more and more whenever someone decides to do it right and that someone is me.

BeautifulBlooms
03-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Removing old mulch is totally unnecessary, unless you it is too think that it is choking out plants or climbing the walls of the house.

I consider 3" to be sufficient mulch layer so we apply 1" every year, 2" every other year, and 3" to a new bed.

As far as the wash stone how big of an area is it, and why was it there? Was it to allow water to drain from a gutter intot he soil????

BRICKGUY
03-12-2008, 11:17 AM
well the home owner ask if i could do that to save the cost of removing it we usually remove the wash stone it is not there for drainage it is simply there for a decor thanks for input

BeautifulBlooms
03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Oh so all the beds are filled with stone already? Then I would recommend remving it because the mulch won't break down as well because it won't even be in contact with the soil underneath limiting the microbes decomp. I wouldn't put mulch over decorative stone! If they don't want you to remove it, then I recommend telling them you aren't interested in the job, its just a customer who will cut corners down the road!