PDA

View Full Version : Teen Mower

TandM
03-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Hey guys I just need to ask a couple of questions. I am 15 and get my liscense in a year. I have just bought a truck and it is getting painted and the trailer to match. I bought the truck for 1500 dollars and it has to look good. I need to know if I can legally put signs on my trailer for advertising. I have a really good rep. int these parts of Ga. Most of the yards are between 1 and 5 million dollars. what do I need to get to be a little legal. I have been mowing for 4 years and have 10 clients a tiger cub and shini handhelds.

mowerbrad
03-11-2008, 08:31 PM
I've gone through just what you are going through as I'm only 17 and have been mowing since I was 10. Here in michigan there are no laws against having signs on your trucks and trailers and I'm sure that is the same throughout the country. I spent $75 on two magnetic signs to put on my truck and will get signs up on my trailer this year. For you to be legal make sure that you have liability insurance (million dollar policy usually works fine) and pay your taxes on what you make and everything. Good luck with everything.

lifetree
03-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Sounds like you're doing just fine to me ... 10 clients with homes in the $ 1-5 M range !!

chuck bow
03-11-2008, 08:33 PM
A little legal ? You are either all the way legal or not legal at all Well first thing you need liabilty insurance and at 15 or 16 i dont know if you can get it. Also its not the yards that are worth 1 to 5 mil its the homes .Also be careful mowing around those expensive homes a window could cost you what you make all year on that lawn Iam a s corp and dont do the solo prpship anymore so i cant help you much

TandM
03-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I installed a mulch block on tiger cub no side discharge for me Glad to see you are all scag man chuck bow. I Am thinking about getting a business liscense and look into some liability insurance what are the rates in yalls areas. Thanks for the help will be getting signs for the trailer this week. can't wait for the grass to really get started.

JShe8918
03-11-2008, 09:39 PM
it depends on your income. Based on 20,000 dollars in my area it is only 62 dollars per month. Not bad considering if you hit a person in the face with a rock or somehting

njones
03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
you can get liability insurance at your age your parents insurance will give you a deal

jklawns
03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
I am 16 and I have 1 mil in liability and it is in my name not my parents.

TandM lets see some pictures of the truck.

TandM
03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks that is not as bad As I thought it would be. I will definately get that asap. I hate it when people tell me they don't want the liability of me doing something on a ladder such as trimming palm trees very high hedges roof cleaning etc. This will help me out. I netted 12 grand last year and grossed 16. Not bad but this year I have my sight set on netting 15 large. So the liability should cover me for that. I also hate it when people give me crap about not being liscensed. At least I am not loballing. I don't drop the gate for under 40 bucks. I do good work And I want to be legal. Thanks for your help.

TandM
03-11-2008, 09:48 PM
How do you upload pics up on here I will get some up here when I can. It is still at the body shop so it will be the old pictures of when I bought it for 1500 bucks. She has a big block 440 in it go mopar!

lsu03
03-11-2008, 09:49 PM
big net for only 10 accounts. good job managing!

TandM
03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks I do a lot of mulch and hedge trimming. so it adds up pretty quick.

TandM
03-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Bump to the tip top

TandM
03-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Bump Bump Bump

chuck bow
03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
That liabilty will only cover you if you break something on the clients property if wont cover you if you fall off the ladder and break your neck or leg ,Pay around 800 bucks a yr for 1 mil Yes iam All cats eye gold

TandM
03-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks Chuck I really apreciate that. Scag rocks! I have a 07 cub with the kawi. I am going to get my business liscense this year and some insuranse next year.

chuck bow
03-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Good luck T and M My Cub that i hardly ever run anymore has the 24 horse Honda on it and thats great motor but........ i like my wildcat better . The cub will give you yrs of great service If i were you i would get the insurance this yr also , you will feel much much safer

LushGreenLawn
03-13-2008, 07:19 AM
I only pay $471 per year for a 1 Million dollar a year policy.

You need a business license now, its not something to think about.

You can get a business license and insurance at your age, I had both when I was 16, I used my parents insurance agent.

TandM
03-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I am applying for my business liscence now. I can't get insurance till next year.

DK lawn care
03-13-2008, 05:33 PM
whats the name of the policy where u guys are paying 471 one a year and 800 a year?

chuck bow
03-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Mine is state farm and its based on gross mowing income i used to pay 475 for 1 mil but gross was lower then and dont try to josh your way thru they will ask for tax paper to see what you made if they have any questions

LushGreenLawn
03-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Mine is from a local company. William Moore Agency. Mine covers the 1 mil Business Liability and $6000 for the Zero Turn, $1000 for handheld equipment only. This is for $471.

My commercial Auto is seperate, but only $800 a year through State Farm, Full coverage on one Truck, (100,000,/300,000 medical) but no coverage on my trailers (I have two) I would have to pay to replace them if something happened, but the Enclosed I can get new for 5K, used for $3500 or so, and the flatbed new for around $1500, i'm willing to risk that. I am covered for liability on the trailer (i.e, coming unhitched and causing an accident, ect)

So... for that price I am covered for what would be what I consider a major loss (equipment stolen, truck, general liability) but would have to pay out of pocket for some of the things that I consider more minor.

Integrity LC
03-15-2008, 09:30 AM
I could be mistaken but isn't it the law that a minor under the age of 18 can not legaly be in any contract? If so that contract is null and void?

nickslawn
03-15-2008, 10:19 AM
thats what i was thinking. ^^

Mark Bogart
03-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I could be mistaken but isn't it the law that a minor under the age of 18 can not legaly be in any contract? If so that contract is null and void?

I know in Colorado that's the law. Working from 10' or higher is also prohibited. Cleaning gutters and trimming trees falls into the category. Also using certain powered equipment. Exemptions can be granted if they have a written letter from there Director of Youth Laws in there state. In Southern Colorado OSHA is making a big impact on what can and can't be done.

Mark Bogart
03-15-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm all for young people starting up there own business but one thing most of them really don't consider is there safety and the safety of others. That's one reason there's Youth Laws.

stuffdeer
03-15-2008, 11:57 AM

Thats not the case in Michigan. There are certain things that minors can't sign, but a lawn contract, is just fine in Michigan.

topsites
03-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Around here we start'm young, 6-7 years old we send'm out, we've tried even earlier but much before 3-4 y.o. some can't talk and a few still don't walk but other than that there ain't no sense wasting all those precious years.
Say, why'd you wait till you were 15 anyhow, something wrong?

We did have an argument once with the Child Labor law department, but my argument was if we can have them running around before they're even 18... They can't even drive a car but here they go with their heads up in the clouds acting like they own a business, so if we can have it like that then by God we're going to have them doing it at the age I feel like doing it with. They didn't say a whole lot because I'm joking, but as for this next part I can assure you if I see a snot nosed kid running around acting like this he IS getting reported!

Runner
03-15-2008, 02:13 PM
It is funny,...because here in Michigan, technically, a minor CAN enter into a contact. As a matter of fact, they can sign all the contracts they want (or are allowed to). The trick is,...is that they cannot e held legally bound to these contracts. So, for instance, if a kid gets a bike from a bikeshop, and signs an agreement that he will pay for this bike in x amount of time,...he cannot be held to that. weird, but true. :)