PDA

View Full Version : e85

BLC1
03-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Does anybody run e85 in their trucks? How about running it in your trucks that aren't flex fuel. I was reading that is does not harm vehicles not set up to run flex fuel.

What are you thoughts on this?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
BLC - if you have a flex fuel truck - RUN IT. Fuel economy is slightly less than regular crud gas, but (at least here) at 60 cents per gallon less than crud gas, is very much worth it.

If you don't have a flex fuel truck - perhaps, at your own risk, try a 50/50 blend with crud gas. I did this with my Grand Am last summer and hasn't slowed down since - no ill effects.
In fact, I am not sure why we can't have like a E50 or E40 - dang oil companies....

KTM
03-11-2008, 10:16 PM
My brother has ran E85 in his Tahoe a few times and reported that he was still better off using regular gas. I really don't know how they can still be making ethanol with corn prices so high.

newz7151
03-12-2008, 01:09 AM
In fact, I am not sure why we can't have like a E50 or E40 - dang oil companies....

I'd love to see you running that in your homeowner grade trimmer and other stuff. Even the commercially intended 2 cycle stuff (and 4 cycle) isn't going to be able to hold up against it, and you want it out already.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-12-2008, 01:31 AM
newz - we are mandate E20 up here in MN within a couple years. Won't have any trouble burning that in my vehicles. Would there be a big difference from E20 to E40? I don't think so....

Yes, MN is in the corn belt and I am standing up for locally grown products.

DLCS
03-12-2008, 02:23 AM
I have ran e-85 in my wifes Tahoe about 2 years ago. Average about 2-4 miles less per gallon but back then e-85 was a 1.00 less per gallon than regular so it was a wash. Now its about .40 less than regular so you lose money running e-85. You can get by for a while running e-85 in a non flex fuel vehicle but corrosion while get the best of the fuel system after prolong use. In a flex fuel vehicle they use stainless fuel lines and fittings, nothing to corrode.

BLC1
03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Yesterday I saw ethanol was 30 cents more than reg. gas. How do they except that to work out?

TXNSLighting
03-17-2008, 02:10 PM
yeh e85 is poitless. anyone who says its good is wrong.

Lawn-Sharks
03-17-2008, 02:38 PM
I have ot even seen a gas station anywhere near me selling E85. we have gas here in florida that has a 10% mix of E85 in it but 90% is still reg gas still the same freakin price thou...I seen a show on history channel talking about moonshine and they said thats all E85 was.(Moonshine) is nothing more than ( Korn Squeezins 85% & Gasoline mixed 15% ) gets me to thinking about making moonshine and using it in my truck & Equipment......Lol.... ATF would be on my like a Hobo on a Ham sandwhich.

tamadrummer
03-17-2008, 02:48 PM
The dumb thing here in FL is that the gas with 10% ethanol in it is just as expensive as the gas without it in it.

I won't buy it with ethanol in it! Why do I want to go less distance per gallon for the same price? :hammerhead: I also don't want to be running it in my 2 cycle or mowers but especially not in my 2 cycle stuff!

Hess, Race Trac, and Murphy are all running 10% ethanol and BP, Sunoco, Shell, and Texxaco are clear of the stuff so far. I try to stick to Sunoco and BP exclusively and really only Sunoco if possible.

DLCS
03-17-2008, 05:26 PM
10% ethanol is the norm up here been that way for years and I don't see any decrease in milage. Now E-85 is a different story. You will start seeing E-85 in Florida within the year. The reason you don't see it now is because many of the new ethanol producing plants are still under construction. I read where there is 36? new ethanol plants being built this year. The more E-85 they sell the higher are grocery bills are going to go. There is not enough land to grow all the corn needed for ethanol production. price of feed for livestock is going through the roof because farmers are growing corn for ethanol. They need to find a way to convert grass clippings to ethanol, since there is no need for them anyway. Wouldn't that be way cool!payup

stroker51
03-17-2008, 07:43 PM
If it's not a flex fuel vehicle, don't run e85. I spend quite a bit of time at my buddies phillips 66 station/mechanic shop and he gets in a BUNCH of non flex fuel cars that fill up on E85 at a station down the street, because it is so much cheaper, like $.60 per gallon. Problem is when their car stops running, or starts to act up, it costs them at least $110 to purge the system, then add on the cost to fill it up with regular gas. I like E10, I've run it a lot in my 84 F250, the only gasser i've got, no real difference in mileage, truck seems to run a little better, and between .5 and .10 cheaper.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Good thread...interesting comments.
Here in MN we are the forefront of ethanol - clearly.
20% mandate within a couple years. I hope E85 pumps get out across the nation for everyone to have the opportunity to use.

That said, although I am in full support of ethanol, it is not perfect. 1) Why is E85 the standard for ethanol? Why not E40 or some blend like that? Could cars currently on the road burn that blend? E10 is already standard, why not E40? 2) Corn is the current means of production but not the end....stay tuned for other, more efficient energy sources.

BLC1
03-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Where are they at on the fuel cell cars? Do you think these alternate forms of energy take a while to move through due to pressure from big oil companies. I heard a story about a guy who created some alternate energy to run cars and an oil company bought it from him just to keep it quiet. Probably just rumors but I would think it could happen.

BLC1
03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
As far as ethanol goes. I would say if they can keep it alittle cheaper or around the same price shouldn't we be all for it? Instead of sending trillions of dollars over to the middle east so they can build these luxury cities we could keep all the money churning through the U.S.

AI Inc
03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
10% ethanol is the norm up here been that way for years and I don't see any decrease in milage. Now E-85 is a different story. You will start seeing E-85 in Florida within the year. The reason you don't see it now is because many of the new ethanol producing plants are still under construction. I read where there is 36? new ethanol plants being built this year. The more E-85 they sell the higher are grocery bills are going to go. There is not enough land to grow all the corn needed for ethanol production. price of feed for livestock is going through the roof because farmers are growing corn for ethanol. They need to find a way to convert grass clippings to ethanol, since there is no need for them anyway. Wouldn't that be way cool!payup

Is Florida trying to make ethenol from sugar cane?

DLCS
03-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Is Florida trying to make ethenol from sugar cane?

I don't know. I have heard that sugar beets could be used but what i gathered is that its not as cheap as corn. Actually alot od different crops could be used but right now corn is the most economical.

KTM
03-18-2008, 02:20 PM
They have already stopped production of a few bio-diesel plants because of the price of beans, and I think soon we will see this for ethanol plants. you just can not be using are country's food supply as fuel. soon no one will be able to afford groceries. Brazil makes all there fuel from sugar cane, but for some reason we can not grow sugar cane here, I do not support ethanol it is a very stupid product. The only people that I know that support ethanol is people making money off it, like farmers and even many of them that I have talked to realize how stupid it is.

AI Inc
03-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Ethenol does have its faults, so dosnt buying oil from people that hate us.

KTM
03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
people do not understand that you are still buying oil from people who hurt us to make the ethanol. I think it takes as much if not more than a gallon to make a gallon, remember the fuel that the farmer uses to plant, maintain, harvest and dry the corn is from foreign oil. then you have transportation, the process of making and the transportation of the product all is from foreign oil. then there is the pollution and the millions of gallons to make the plant, all from foreign oil.