PDA

View Full Version : How about a Section for the Teens on here

Supper Grassy
03-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Mike,
What do you think about a section where the teens can discuss things, and where the expecinced can give oponions. It seems as if you post a question in the main section that has to deal with teens you just get bashed to no avail. I also know that there are alot of teen members on this site, who do some lawns or are looking to get in the industry

TandM
03-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Yea we need our own forum so that we don't get bashed as much.

KS_Grasscutter
03-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Ummm...with all due respect, I guess I fail to see what good that would do at all. NO experienced guys would post useful info there, which is what everyone needs. My advice: don't go advertising that your a teen in your posts, and act and post respectfully. Most importantly, find someone in your community who is willing to help you out. I am very good friends with the owners of two operations here (one very large solo op, the other a fairly good sized family operation) and I feel the help both of those guys have given me over the last few year far outweighs anything I have gained through any other thing. Now that doesn't mean just go up and talk to every lawn guy like they are your best friend, either... most just want your lawns, or most importantly, dont want you taking any of theirs.

farmerkev
03-12-2008, 12:52 AM
KS, I understand what you are saying, but there is alot of unneeded bashing, most of you experienced guys started the same way, and I think there would be advice from the more experienced operators. Besides, it would be a great place for us to talk with each other and give each other ideas. But thats just my $.02. Everybody has their own opinions.

You make it sound like we dont post respectfully, I have not been here long, but have not noticed this yet.

Raven386
03-12-2008, 01:00 AM
well if we cant bash you teens and your newly started businesses what are we going to do all day?! and if you ignore all the crap, usually there is some great info from the more experienced guys... but there is a lot of crap to read through lol.

- the posts that get bashed are the people that come on here saying "hey im 14 and i have 100 accounts 50 mowers and blah blah" and lie about what they have and whatnot. and there are some posts that people just take it wayyyy to far and cant drop it but sometimes its neccessary. we are just hazing you newbies!

KS_Grasscutter
03-12-2008, 01:09 AM
- the posts that get bashed are the people that come on here saying "hey im 14 and i have 100 accounts 50 mowers and blah blah" and lie about what they have and whatnot. and there are some posts that people just take it wayyyy to far and cant drop it but sometimes its neccessary.

Yep. There is a reason some posts get bashed...because they deserve it:laugh:.

J&R Landscaping
03-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Yep. There is a reason some posts get bashed...because they deserve it:laugh:.

I'd have to agree with this!

Raven386
03-12-2008, 01:19 AM
like this one....friggin ridiculous! bunch of punk kids trying to steal lawns from us veterans!

kubotab7200
03-12-2008, 01:27 AM
like this one....friggin ridiculous! bunch of punk kids trying to steal lawns from us veterans!

that happen to me 5 times last year didnt bother me to much cuz i had something they didnt a driver license

Raven386
03-12-2008, 01:32 AM
I would rather sort through the crap and get someone who has been doing this for a few years to answer, then asking a bunch of kids who just started for business advice.

KS_Grasscutter
03-12-2008, 01:36 AM
I would rather sort through the crap and get someone who has been doing this for a few years to answer, then asking a bunch of kids who just started for business advice.

:laugh: No way, who wants accurate advice? All you need is clueless encouragement from your peers.

Runner
03-12-2008, 02:45 AM
Hey, I resemble that remark!

born2farm
03-12-2008, 08:25 AM
I think its a great idea. that way us teens can talk about what we do to make are buisness better. We all cant take the advice from you guys like say on advertising of just going out a driving the neighborhood to get your name out there.

I thnk its a great idea.

MarcSmith
03-12-2008, 08:57 AM
not trying to rude, but lets say you are teen, do you really think its in the best interest of your business to take advice from another teen? Its like asking a virgin how to have sex, while they may know the mechanics, they really don't know...

Yes there is some teen bashing, and in most cases its warranted, some, not all come in here asking for advice on how to run a business, but all they are doing is undercutting prices and raping the industry, having mom and dad drive em around, , no insurance, no taxes, no business License and that not a business. And thats were most of the anger and animosity stems from.

if you want your own channel have at it. but I don't see many old timers tuning in. And in all honesty you need the good advice from the old guard. You don't really need/want advice from a pimply faced 14 year old who's been "in business" for 3 years.

JB1
03-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Kinda like some of the posts now, Blind leading the Blind.

Runner
03-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Actually, maybe it would be a good idea. It would be a good place where these guys can compare fish stories.
"Hi, my name is Jimmy. I'm 15 and I have a new Lazer and and an '08 Silverado that I bought with my own money."

All_Toro_4ME
03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Could be a good idea, but telling them business info about how to successfully run a legit business when they are 14 is more of waste of time in my eyes. Yea they can push a mower and ride a Z, but there's more to this business then that. The mrktg, acctg, building rapport, maintaining client base, is all very critical. The list goes on and on. Its a huge can of worms to try to explain to someone not even old enough to drive yet, or who is still in highschool and knows little about the business world.

MarcSmith
03-12-2008, 12:16 PM
the best is "im 12 and have been in business for 3 years"....*trucewhiteflag*

but toro, at 14 they know everything.....At least I know I knew everything at that age

LindblomRJ
03-12-2008, 12:25 PM
not trying to rude, but lets say you are teen, do you really think its in the best interest of your business to take advice from another teen? Its like asking a virgin how to have sex, while they may know the mechanics, they really don't know...

Yes there is some teen bashing, and in most cases its warranted, some, not all come in here asking for advice on how to run a business, but all they are doing is undercutting prices and raping the industry, having mom and dad drive em around, , no insurance, no taxes, no business License and that not a business. And thats were most of the anger and animosity stems from.

if you want your own channel have at it. but I don't see many old timers tuning in. And in all honesty you need the good advice from the old guard. You don't really need/want advice from a pimply faced 14 year old who's been "in business" for 3 years.

Marc you hit the nail on the head.

Add me to the list who thinks its a bad idea.

All_Toro_4ME
03-12-2008, 12:25 PM
the best is "im 12 and have been in business for 3 years"....*trucewhiteflag*

but toro, at 14 they know everything.....At least I know I knew everything at that age

Yea, those are funny.

Grassbuster
03-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Well, how about a section for the over 40 where no teens are allowed?:nono: We could move the calender girl section there too:)

MarcSmith
03-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, how about a section for the over 40 where no teens are allowed?:nono: We could move the calender girl section there too:)

get my vote....

Capemay Eagle
03-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I was thinking there should be a page where we can just discus Zero Turn and WB mowers. I know there is a tractor thread, but I don't see a page where there is just mowers topic. It seems that there are thousands of inquires about Zero turn mowers in just about every thread topic, be nice to bunch them all in one category..JMO..

Runner
03-12-2008, 02:31 PM

I especially like the idea of moving the calender girl thread there...I'm 43 and I'm STILL not allowed to go there!:rolleyes:

Raven386
03-12-2008, 02:51 PM
hey... you cant take that away!!!! Im only 22 so I cannot join your old fart club!

LindblomRJ
03-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Make it 30 and I can get behind it.

farmerkev
03-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I dont want to be rude and I know most of you dont either, but this is exactly the kind of BS we could avoid with our own thread. You keep saying that no experienced guys would come and comment. THATS THE WHOLE IDEA OF THE TEEN THREAD. We can talk amongst ourselves. If we want your help, theres THE ENTIRE REST OF LAWNSITE WHERE WE CAN GO ASK.

This is my first year acctually tring to do more than mow my neighbor and grandmas lawn, and my first year on this site. I have already gotten TONS of great advice, which I am GREATLY appreciative for. On my fliers I have no company name anywhere, because I realize I am not a company. I am looking into what I can do to get Kev-Lawn official, before I use it anywhere.

How do you think it makes us feel when we consider ourselves young, and see someone younger than us with a Z-Turn, and hundreds of $$$ in equipment. I mean face it, it makes mee mad also when they claim to have earned the $$$ for it all, no way in heck! You all make us feel very unwelcome at times, (especially this thread) and I realize where you are comming from, but come on, give us a break, we are TEENS WORKING FOR OUR OWN MONEY! How often do you see that? Now, Im heading back to plowsite where I fell VERY welcome. ;)

americanlawn
03-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Put me down for the calendar girl club.:weightlifter: I'll be 54 next week, and I learn new things everyday...never afraid of trying something new (unlike other old farts). :laugh: Example: New TURFCO ride-on unit....bought the newest edition. BTW they are NOT "non existent":dizzy:--southern states have and are using this unit. (duh) See - even an old fart stays up on the latest technology.:laugh:

I have no problem with teenagers whatsoever cuz I was one. What I have a problem with is: if teenagers advertise that they have been in business for 20 years providing "complete lawn & tree service", then come to find out....the founder was 14 years old, and pulled a mower behind his bicycle after school the same year the "compltete business" was supposedly founded". :hammerhead: That ain't right. (I smell tuna)

Bottom line: I have no prob with anybody (teenagers or anybody else), just so they interact in a professional/respectful manner. Let teenagers in -- I see no reason not to. But I do not think teenagers need their own category. They are smart enough to "play with the big boys". My two cents worth.

TandM
03-12-2008, 10:44 PM
We need a Teen forum Now I demand justice in this forum.

Stillwater
03-13-2008, 06:17 AM
We need a Teen forum Now I demand justice in this forum.

What kind of useful information and or advice would you get for this industry from a teen group

farmerkev
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
What kind of useful information and or advice would you get for this industry from a teen group

Thats what the rest of lawnsite would be for, it could be our own general discussion and photo area where we would not be condoned for making some money.

born2farm
03-13-2008, 09:36 PM
hey teens go to our topic in network forum..we can chat there

freshprince94
03-19-2008, 11:20 AM
i support all the teens on lawnsite and wish them good luck. however, for safety reasons i do not recommend a teen forum.

what if a child predator found out about it and used it for no good? what if the kid's parents dont want them on lawnsite?

just my .02

Johnson LCO
03-22-2008, 06:31 PM
If teens cannot hold there own in the professionals forum by all means find your way to the homeowners forum. If it was created however, the first sticky should be "how to get licensed and insured."

lawnpro2210
03-22-2008, 07:05 PM
ill admit it im a teen.But it would be kinda cool to have a teen forum so that we could talk and show off are equipment to without getting ragged on all the time lol.

Johnson LCO
03-22-2008, 07:07 PM
All least it would consolidate the useless threads. That way if I am in a bad mood I know where to go if I want to rag on someone.

LindblomRJ
03-23-2008, 02:03 AM
All least it would consolidate the useless threads. That way if I am in a bad mood I know where to go if I want to rag on someone.

That is not a bad idea.

Restrorob
03-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't believe a "My Space" is needed here on LawnSite.....

The problem I see is ALL the bragging, If you teens just kept your fingers off the keys and acted sensible (left the "fish stories" out of post) you wouldn't be ripped on near as bad.

Just My http://forums.wtf.com/images/smilies/twocents.gif

farmerkev
03-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I wish Id never brought it up.:dizzy:

3day240sx
03-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Whoa whoa whoa. Where is the calendar girl??? Next off if there is an age limit I say you gotta be able to get a drink at the bar and that's it.

Man you teens are wanting a forum to yourself and killing us 21+ guys by taking our calendar girls away.

I'm 22 and say if you can't take the BS then don't dish it. This is a business forum not a look at the kids section forum. Man I wish I was still in high school. FREE ADVERTISEMENT!!!! I would drive the company truck and trailer to school everyday and would have my insurance licenses and everything else that would be reputable.

Now I have one last question. How many of you teens that have licenses, insurance, and are legit want your own forum?

LindblomRJ
03-24-2008, 01:18 AM
I don't believe a "My Space" is needed here on LawnSite.....

The problem I see is ALL the bragging, If you teens just kept your fingers off the keys and acted sensible (left the "fish stories" out of post) you wouldn't be ripped on near as bad.

Just My http://forums.wtf.com/images/smilies/twocents.gif

Exactly. Well stated.

MarcSmith
03-24-2008, 07:46 AM
FREE ADVERTISEMENT!!!! I would drive the company truck and trailer to school everyday and would have my insurance licenses and everything else that would be reputable.And for those who are 12-13 mommy and daddy can drive around in the family wagon with the magnetic signs on the side, while you are in middle school........whoo hoo...

bigdaddy350
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
i think you all just made his point for him he was asking for a place to chat with others like him self in the lawn care bizz he wasent looking for advice, he wasnt picking your brains for knowloge he wanted to talk with others like him new to the game you no talk about there own mistakes with out getting jumped on or in the way of all the pros on here talking about how nun of us started with out a lic, insur,or by low balling you can all say its not true dont tell me other wise we all started at the bottom and had to learn the hard way no cut no money babys hungrey yea ill cut it for $ 10.00 but dont tell any one now your all runninging around on your z-turns or setting in the truck on the phone watching the crew while you try to line up more work ie. under bid the last guy who had the job or jump on it cuz his mowers down in the shop or one of his men are sick a he cant get there right now THE KID WANTS TO TALK TO OTHERS LIKE HIM SELF AND ASKED IF THERE MIGHT BE A WAY and you all jump on him me i hope he didnt run away from here these kids are our futcher on lawn site all he wanted was a small spot on here to grow MAN GOOD LUCK KID I HOPE YOU MAKE IT WHEN I OLD AND CANT DOIT ANY MORE ID BE HAPPY IF YOU CUT MY LAWN FOR DISCOUNT LOL

MJS
04-03-2008, 02:08 PM
And for those who are 12-13 mommy and daddy can drive around in the family wagon with the magnetic signs on the side, while you are in middle school........whoo hoo...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
There's one kid in my neighborhood who carries around a 21'' and a weedeater in the trunk of his Honda Civic. lol

J&R Landscaping
04-03-2008, 03:14 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
There's one kid in my neighborhood who carries around a 21'' and a weedeater in the trunk of his Honda Civic. lol

Its probably safer then a few people in my area with older ford explorers and 2 lazers on them. :dizzy:

americanlawn
04-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I know several teenagers in the lawn care business that I trust, and they provide worthy services. Most are hard-working & honest. Age doesn't matter. We all have to start somewhere. Is this not the "American way"?. Why penalize hard working Americans when they try really hard to provide needed services in order to put food on their table? If anybody disagrees with this, please respond. (keep in mind what our 'Founding Fathers' had in mind) BTW, When I answer my phone, I say "hi dude", cuz I was a "hippy" back in the day. Kind regards to ALL! my two cents worth

LindblomRJ
04-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I know several teenagers in the lawn care business that I trust, and they provide worthy services. Most are hard-working & honest. Age doesn't matter. We all have to start somewhere. Is this not the "American way"?. Why penalize hard working Americans when they try really hard to provide needed services in order to put food on their table? If anybody disagrees with this, please respond. (keep in mind what our 'Founding Fathers' had in mind) BTW, When I answer my phone, I say "hi dude", cuz I was a "hippy" back in the day. Kind regards to ALL! my two cents worth

True... No one disputes that point. But they smart ones try to learn a thing or two from their elders.

MJS
04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Its probably safer then a few people in my area with older ford explorers and 2 lazers on them. :dizzy:

On top of the truck? :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

:laugh:

Summit L & D
05-22-2008, 04:03 AM

I couldn't agree more.

For those of you that are parents, wouldn't you be more proud of your kid for taking the initiative to better themselves, rather than sitting in front of a tv or asking YOU for money?
Yes, cocky, stuck up, lying kids need to be dealt with, but for the most part these kids are the future. Now do I think we need to go around hand feeding all of them with our price lists, and personal industry practices?....you be the judge of that. But rather than complaining that the new kid is lowballing you on all your jobs, maybe you should tell him that he could actually charge 3 times the price, get insurance, etc and be a viable market player. But then again that would level the playing field to a certain extent....I digress.