PDA

View Full Version : People don't take teens serious....

JShe8918
03-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Sorry about all of the threads i have going. I am just eager to learn. At the end of last week i saw an add in the paper for an apartment complex in town up for bid. There are only two Lawn and Landscape companies in the area Me and a friend of mine's. Well i go to speak to the property manager. I took everything i needed. A portfolio with pictures of clean equipment, lawns i do, and copies of my liscense and insurance. Well, i give her the presentation and when i ask about her needs and concerns...... She tells me, "Sorry, we are no longer accepting bids." I was okay with this until yesterday my friend goes up there and speaks to her and gets hired on the spot!!! What the heck. He is 38 years old and i am 18 years old. Well i wore nice khaki's with a company tee shirt (didn't matter you couldn't see it) and a company windbreaker over it. He wears his dirty work uniform and gets it. This just burns me up. And i have better equipment and do equally as good if not better than he. What do i need to do for people to take me seriously. I never have this problem but with commercial accounts.

Raven386
03-12-2008, 12:13 AM
how do you know he didnt say he would cut it for $25 ..... could've been the way you talked, acted or something else. Maybe he is more well-known in the area. Did you tell her how old you were? I have seen people who are 21 that look 16 so... I wouldnt be too quick to blame it on your age ...

JShe8918
03-12-2008, 12:19 AM
I had not shown any prices yet. I had all of the services figured up separate. That is what i mean. I was trying to find out what all she wanted done to give her an exact estimate and she was aware of that. He is actually considerably more well known but not i a good way. He is know to do excellent work but he known even better by him not being on time or even worse not coming at all. He has a busy schedule. Two person operation for 50 something accounts, and a full time job at a paper mill. So that is the only other thing that i could think of.

Raven386
03-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Well he is more well known....maybe she knew that you just started your business recently and he has been in business for 15+ years...

Carolina Cuts
03-12-2008, 12:26 AM
daaaamn, I know what you mean bro....
I'm 35, but could honestly pass for 22. Hear it all the time... So when I was 20, I could pass for ... ummmm 7?

anyway, I approached many jobs in my early twenties, looking like a damn teenager hurt me pretty bad.... no one trusted me or my experience. Made it very hard.

Unfortunately, your true age of 18 is gonna hurt you among the commercial properties, no doubt.

Grow a beard. Get some tattoos, maybe a patch over one eye... ditch the earings, bling, etc if you wear any.... just come across as more mature and distinguished.

JShe8918
03-12-2008, 12:34 AM
yeah. I am kinda more like a preppy country boy cross if you know what i mean. No rings of any kind, tattoos, or anything of that nature. I grew up on a cattle farm and my mom shows horses. If you know anything of horse shows she is the co owner of last years worlds winner COOL TALL ONE. He is up for sale now for $120,000. We had almost 50 head at one time. We no longer are in that business due to the droughts year after year. They don't bring in enough money for a irrigation system for there fields. The cows that is. But my uncle says it is because of my hair. I have brown hair that is right at my eyebrows. He always says to get a cut like his a buzz cut and everyone will take me more seriously because no grown men wear there hair like that just college students and kids....

Raven386
03-12-2008, 12:38 AM
yea, get some tattoos... thats usually what gets my customers to sign up... if they are hesitant I just show em the tats and they just hand over a blank check :laugh: ...if only the opposite didnt happen....

Carolina Cuts
03-12-2008, 12:38 AM
He is up for sale now for $120,000

on Ebay?:laugh:

my uncle says it is because of my hair. I have brown hair that is right at my eyebrows.

yea, prolly like that 'surfer dude' look??? He has a point.... do what you want with that....
in the mean time, keep on chuggin' away.... eventually you'll land your foot in the door....and start rackin' up those references.

Carolina Cuts
03-12-2008, 12:41 AM
if they are hesitant I just show em the tats and they just hand over a blank check

that works for you?

usually I just say..... "You WILL hire me and you WILL pay me on time..." then I collect my street tax off the other lco's in the neighborhood. I can't cut everybody's lawn ya know....

Raven386
03-12-2008, 12:43 AM
I am pretty much the most feared LCO in ct. I go into lesco and guys are jumping behind stacks of fertilizer and running to their trucks. I sure do get parts quick though....

jshe- get a haircut you hippie! seriously though, keep trying, like cuts said you will eventually build up some references and make a name for yourself, especially if your the only lco in town.

kubotab7200
03-12-2008, 12:45 AM
if u want to be taken serious grow a beard and im 21 and i do ok on busssiness talk with people maybe havin red hair helps, if u really want to impress someone people like the pearl snap sleevless shirt :laugh: make sure to dip copenhagen 2 people love that

Carolina Cuts
03-12-2008, 12:46 AM
I am pretty much the most feared LCO in ct.

I'm the darkest white man landscaper down here...
neighbors of customers or walk ups always and forever ask the same question first.... and usually really loud... "Do YOU speak English???!!!?"

most times I simply nod my head no, and keep moving....

J&R Landscaping
03-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Raven, now all ya need is some real dark tint for your truck windows and it'll be like the lawn mafia driving around!! lol

J&R Landscaping
03-12-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm the darkest white man landscaper down here...
neighbors of customers or walk ups always and forever ask the same question first.... and usually really loud... "Do YOU speak English???!!!?"

most times I simply nod my head no, and keep moving....

I get the same thing. Many people try talking to me in spanish and I get called a mexican a lot. Thats what my nickname is among my buddies. Sometimes its annoying but it comes with the territory I guess! :laugh:

Raven386
03-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Raven, now all ya need is some real dark tint for your truck windows and it'll be like the lawn mafia driving around!! lol

I cant get tints, I want them to see who is driving by :laugh::laugh:

kubotab7200
03-12-2008, 12:51 AM
i got the 5percent all the way around on my chevy it helps keep me cool in the summer, it also prevents seatbelt tickets

Carolina Cuts
03-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Thats what my nickname is among my buddies.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Good! I'm not the only one.... habeeb, paco, pedro... ugh!

J&R Landscaping
03-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Nah, none of them for me,,, just mexy or the mexican. Its all good though

JShe8918
03-12-2008, 12:53 AM
See i am well known as far as residential customers go and thanks for all of the encouragement.

kubotab7200
03-12-2008, 12:55 AM
dont forget dual exhausts on your truck gives the rig caracter, people think the dodge cummins with a straight pipe is loud as hell when i had that i was always gettin told to shut it off!

Raven386
03-12-2008, 12:56 AM
well usually you can tell when im rolling through town because all of the mowers and trimmers shut off. all lco's put on strobes and move out of the way. pssh and everyone said tattoos were no good :laugh:

Carolina Cuts
03-12-2008, 12:57 AM
See i am well known as far as residential customers go and thanks for all of the encouragement.

Stick with the resi's, they're importanto', because they usually stick around year after year....relationships are built and formed... only a matta' of time before you're gettin' invited to bar-bq's.... only a matta' of time.... 12 years in the biz and I'm still waitin'..... :cry:

Truthfully, commercial accounts are brutal, cause you can bust your @ss for a year straight and lose the following year because someone underbid you by $5.00 smackeroonies...

But you'll still have those resi's....

G'luck to ya my friend....

JShe8918
03-12-2008, 12:59 AM
See know is when i finally knew i grew up because i use to have all of the stuff ya'll are talking about on my old truck. http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=56136383&albumID=518048&imageID=5831219