PDA

View Full Version : Amish employees?

Kykutter
03-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Finding good help is getting to be a pain. We have a rather large Amish community here.Alot of contractors,homeowners,etc. hire them for help on a part time to full time basis. Sure you have to pick them up and take them home,but once you have them they cant leave either, unless they walk.

Have never worked them myself but i can see the benefits,i think.
Hard workers,no cell phones,they bring their lunch, and a lower hourly rate than what most young punks think they deserve.

Has anybody used them for work?

All_Toro_4ME
03-12-2008, 01:01 PM
No I havent. But when I went to MA for vacation one summer, I noticed they live very simple lives. Do you think they wouldn't have a problem operating motor operated equipment? (mowers, edgers, trimmers etc) Most of the work I saw them do was all done with manual, non motorized equipment. Or would they be doing other things like planting shrubs, seeds, etc?

Carolina Cuts
03-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Hard workers,no cell phones,they bring their lunch, and a lower hourly rate than what most young punks think they deserve.

that's it, pay em' less for working harder and being good employees.... :hammerhead:

you had me convinced right up until I saw that.....

I don't know if I'd pick up, back and forth from work though....

Can't they ride their horse and buggy into town?

Kykutter
03-12-2008, 02:22 PM
They will use your power equip. mowers,trimmers,saws,etc. just not allowed to own it themselves i guess. They will use tractors and loaders on their on farms if it does'nt have rubber tires. One family has a sawmill with 2 rubber tire loaders that i get mulch from sometimes,but they have a guy hired to run them that is not amish.
BTW,i can get a 7x12 dump trailer loaded to max with mulch for $40.

As far as pay goes they set the price not me.I pay my guys for a full day on rainouts,buy their lunch,drinks,give them advances etc. I'm not cheap. I just want someone to be there when their supposed to and do what their supposed to.

larryinalabama
03-12-2008, 02:36 PM
WTF is amish some kind of Indian?

SoloSulkySurfer
03-12-2008, 02:45 PM
:laugh::laugh:

Wow I guess they dont have any in Alabama. They are a group of German immigrants that live simple lives like their in the early 1900's. Mostly found in Lancaster, Pa and Ohio.

DBL
03-12-2008, 02:50 PM
the amish live close to hear and i see them out working most all the time building houses, roofing, or siding....watching them they work hardand they do good work too

BeautifulBlooms
03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
How about the Amana Colonies in Iowa

Hoss315er
03-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Try mennonites! They are very similar to Amish but drive vehicles(as long as the vehicle is black or white).

They dress the same and such...there "Amish Lite" but, I think they work just as hard building, making quilts and baked goods, furniture etc.

Not that I think about it I think this growing business is a family of Mennonites.
Sensenig's Mulch & Top Soil (http://www.insiderpages.com/b/15237449040)

I got mulch from them for a commercial acct. I had when I was in biz.

Sorry for all the info.

Smith Lawn & Landscaping
03-12-2008, 03:52 PM
We have very few if any amish around here but the other day i saw 3 of them a guy and 2 girls 2 of them on walkers and the other was edging lol..

All_Toro_4ME
03-12-2008, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=Kykutter;2204696]They will use your power equip. mowers,trimmers,saws,etc. just not allowed to own it themselves i guess. They will use tractors and loaders on their on farms if it does'nt have rubber tires. One family has a sawmill with 2 rubber tire loaders that i get mulch from sometimes,but they have a guy hired to run them that is not amish.
QUOTE]

Any thoughts as to whats wrong with rubber tires? I've never heard this.

QLC- Rick
03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
they'll use your equipment most likely. And be careful, yeah they're hard workers and all of that but, they have their share of drug problems and such with the young ones. My brother in law had some in his roofing business and had to fire one because of all kinds of problems drug related. On the other hand the good ones, most of them, are definitely good workers, and know their sh!t when it comes to moving dirt, growing stuff and landscaping.

I've never used them but I grew up around them somewhat. You can't work them any harder then they work at home.

Marcos
03-12-2008, 07:10 PM

Wow I guess they dont have any in Alabama. They are a group of German immigrants that live simple lives like their in the early 1900's. Mostly found in Lancaster, Pa and Ohio.

Dat'-sa vite !

Yo-der en 'is 'am-bly vant do d've en pece en qu'te, d'ank ku !!

:usflag:

Runner
03-12-2008, 07:42 PM
They live sort of a Puritan lifestyle. Don't drive automobiles, or use power equipment. They band together to help each other with such activities such as "barn raisings", where the whole community comes together to help.
Hello....This is my crew..... Ezekiel and Jebidiah (pronounced jeb-uh-DY-uh). LOL
This also brings back.
This also brings back good memories...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvC5pZnPb0Q

mowing grass 1111
03-12-2008, 07:45 PM
we have them around here. i remember about 15 years ago one of the amish familys were kicked out of the church they attend .. their son was a big kingpin cocaine dealer. he went to prison and the rest of the family started doing the stuff us regular folks do... they had this hot ass daughter that had a trans am and damn did she like to flirt......... i wonder what ever happened to her ..i have not seen here in years

Stillwater
03-12-2008, 07:56 PM
I think the Amish are cool

ACA L&L
03-12-2008, 08:13 PM
That would be cool. Really what would be the downside? Pickup /drop off.....we do that all the time. Been doing this for awhile already. No smoking,drinking,foul language,honest, reliable, will work 12 hours a day. Sounds good to me. Pay em good slip em a mountain dew every now and then....oh wait thats mormon. my bad, I married one of those.

8307c4
03-12-2008, 08:15 PM
No, but we have lowballers and unlicensed and tax evading and illegal immigrants instead, does that count?
I almost think I'd have more respect for the Amish, if for no other reason than that is their lot in life if they so accept it.
I don't have to like what they are doing, or how they do it, but this is their choice and it doesn't confront me.
Then again I'm not around them much here...

But in the end is it really that much cheaper?

1wezil
03-12-2008, 09:41 PM
yep i would take one of them any day to work for me if i new where to find them .

JohnnyCuts
03-13-2008, 02:16 AM
The Amish I know here in Iowa would be the best workers you've ever had. (and the Amana Colonies dont have any Amish, but there is a large contigent south of there in Kalona).