PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to sharpen blade?

kjslawn
03-12-2008, 04:28 PM
I see that a guy has a blade sharpener on here for sale how many of you use this type of grinder/sharpener and does it work better ( more accurate )
then what I have always used just a angle grinder. Somtimes I round the edges with the angle grinder and you can really tell when you do. the cut is not as good. It leave stragglers.

CreativeEdge
03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
you want to keep the same angle as when the blades were new, 30 degrees. Keep them sharp, its easier to have atleast 2 sets so that you can swap them out. Make sure you grind everything back evenly until you have a sharp edge. If the angle of your blade changes it will dull more quickly. Try to keep the blade as balanced as possible also. I just use a bench grinder or hand held grinder for my blades

S L C
03-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Like post #2 said as well... I use a 8" Dewalt bench grinder and also a balancer, seems to do just fine, even though I know a $500 unit may do a bit better.... but for the money, I'm happy with the results!! :drinkup:

GravelyNut
03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Hand grinder for the big blades such as the 30" ( Sharpen once a year as it is carbide tipped ) Bench grinder for the smaller ones or the grinder at the dealership and balance.