PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with an enclosed trailer..a few dumb questions im sure!

bigw
03-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Just have a few questions about using enclosed trailers..

#1 Should you always put the rider mower towards the front of the trailer and the WB in the back or dont it matter?

#2..How do you keep your zero turns filled up with gas,do you just use gas cans that you keep in the trailer or do you fill them at the pump through the side door or something? {dumb question im sure but im serious i need to know this}

#3..On tight drive ways with low visabilty leaving that driveway is it easier to pull in and back out or back in and pull out? {another dumb question to some of you im sure but once again not dumb to me} want to be safe!

#4 do you close your ramp door while on property mowing or leave it open for quicker entrance for other equipment?

Ok well im hoping to get a few serious answers here and not alot of "what are you stupid" Do you have insurance post lol. Thanks!

stuffdeer
03-13-2008, 01:42 AM

#1 Should you always put the rider mower towards the front of the trailer and the WB in the back or dont it matter?

#2..How do you keep your zero turns filled up with gas,do you just use gas cans that you keep in the trailer or do you fill them at the pump through the side door or something? {dumb question im sure but im serious i need to know this}

#3..On tight drive ways with low visabilty leaving that driveway is it easier to pull in and back out or back in and pull out? {another dumb question to some of you im sure but once again not dumb to me} want to be safe!

#4 do you close your ramp door while on property mowing or leave it open for quicker entrance for other equipment?

Ok well im hoping to get a few serious answers here and not alot of "what are you stupid" Do you have insurance post lol. Thanks!

#2. Many people pull them off. Also have gas cans.

#3. I pull in and back out.

BigLag
03-13-2008, 01:48 AM
hope this helps...im new in the enclosed trailer business, but I'd put the heavier machine over the axles and the wb in front..might not matter, but that's what i'd do. i know a lot of people keep extra gas cans and just fill their machines with the cans and i may do that in the future, but i just unload refill and load em back up. as far as turning around, i find it easier to turn around using your driver side mirror. so backing into a driveway on your left, then turning and pulling in a driveway on your right then backing on the street. i'm sure if there was a situation where i didnt feel comfortable, i'd close the ramp while cutting a yard, but haven't yet.
btw...do you have insurance? j/k ask away my friend

bigw
03-13-2008, 02:05 AM
thanks guys anyone else??

bill8379
03-13-2008, 02:15 AM
I don't park in the customers drive (well not too often) I always seem to get grass stuck under the tires or someone wants to pull in. btw, if the grass is wet you will leave green tire marks with your mowers and your truck.

I leave my ramp down (open trailer) cause it's a pain but I got everything locked down so if I go out of sight it's as safe as I could make it. In an enclosed trailer I would imagine you would have all kinds of things that could walk away... I might be tempted to close it and lock it.

As for gas, I do both. Fill it up at the pump and have gas tanks.

I put my big mower at the front of the trailer because I got better place to tie it up and it can't move forward when I stop however, if my trailer had a side door I might use that to take a small mower in and out, I've seen that before.

At my own home, I back in the trailer because I feel it's safer as far as theft.

Az Gardener
03-13-2008, 03:10 AM
You want to balance your load heaviest items over the wheels and then do your best to keep the rest equal.

I never park in clients driveway unless its a big estate where there is a parking lot.

We always keep the ramp closed and locked on job sites. We use a combination lock on job sites, not the high school gym lock but a brass 4 digit type, simple and quick to open. At night we use better Puck type locks.

For Gas we have a 15 gal nurse tank from northern tools with filler hose and nozzle mounted high on the tongue. It was 100 bucks and a great time saver.

BigLag
03-13-2008, 10:13 AM
az gardner...you have a pic of the gas tank and how you mounted it?

TREEGUARD
03-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Big lag is right keep most of the weight over the axels to prevent the trailer from swaying
if you have a side door you can fill up that way it's easier than pulling it out.

MitchDaniel
03-13-2008, 12:45 PM
You should definitely make certain that you have enough tongue weight on the trailer...if not, it spells disaster. Several people i know learned that the hard way (A guy my dad knows got killed recently because he had all of the weight at the back of the trailer. The truck got to swaying badly, and he eventually lost control and flipped the truck.) I would measure the bumper of the truck empty, and then when everything is loaded, making sure the bumper has dropped a few inches.....but not too much!

LushGreenLawn
03-13-2008, 12:56 PM
With my Mower over my wheels, I can pull up to the gas pump so that the rear is lined up with the pump, and the gas nozzle will reach the mower through the back door. I have a 16' trailer if that helps. My WB is in the front.

I back into my own driveway, and one customer who is on a street that I cannot park on. You have to get used to using your mirrors and looking at where your going to back up the trailer next so you know its clear.

hackitdown
03-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I always back into the driveway. I find it easier to back in because I am already in the road and since I am blocking the road, traffic is stopped to let me turn and back in. If I am trying to back out, people will not slow down to let me out.

Classified
03-13-2008, 04:08 PM

#1. I try to keep the heaviest stuff as close to the axles as possible. I keep the fuel, hand tools, and garbage up front. all the "little stuff" up front. the weight adds up and seems to work for me.

#2. Last year, i would pull out all my mowers at the pump and fill them up along with the gas cans. its far less hassle than it sounds like. This year i bought this (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200317034_200317034) and may buy more if this one meets my needs.

#3. I park on the street, put the hazards on and put a few cones out by the ramp and corner of the trailer and the front of the truck. havent had an issue yet.

#4. I always leave the ramp door open. if the trailer will be out of site for a half hour or so then i may consider closing but the areas i worki in are decnt to nice so i havent had any issues and nothing has gone missing yet.

rcracer
03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Just wanted to share a scary story. I can relate to the gentleman that knows the guy who was killed when his truck flipped. I am sorry to hear that by the way. Last week I went to do a landscape job and I had some mulch on the front of my 6x12 trailer. Well I bought a load of dirt and put it on the axle and it went all the way to the back of the trailer as well. As I was going down the interstate I hit 55 mph and that is when the crazy ride began. My trailer start to swerve back and forth and before I knew it my trailer was sliding into the other lane and trying it's best to pass me. I thought I had it loaded o.k. but of course the dirt was allot heavier than the mulch. It was by God's grace that I am still here and know one else was hurt. Anyways thought I would share my story and hope it helps I sure learned my lesson.:usflag:

bill8379
03-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm glad I read this thread, I've never even thought about trailer loading before I only know you need to have weight pushing down on your truck as opposed to lifting it up. I've only had my trailer for one year.

It does remind me of an incident a few years ago. Some guys trailer started swerving and it through him off a bridge. He's dead, I never actually thought about what causes that sort of thing.

Classified
03-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah loading a trailer correctly is VERY important. i think you are supposed to have about 30% of the total weight in the front of the trailer. I hope that is not the wrong % but i beleive it is something like that.

TLS
03-13-2008, 06:31 PM
It's illegal to back out of a driveway. ALWAYS back in and pull out. Look into a beacon or LED strobes for the trailer. A back-up alarm on the trailer is one of the best things I've done over the years. Make sure your back-up lights work too. People need to know that your about to back up.

For the most part I park in the street. Especially in developments. Most of my larger residential properties have room to turn around. Commercials usually have room too.

As for loading.....try to keep your Z over the bogey. Your WB's are fine up front. Look into getting a side gate for your WB. On small lawns you won't have to unload your rider to get to your WB's. While your getting that sidegate installed, get a few gas doors installed as well! I also see guys unload far from the pumps and drive each piece up to fill up.

As for leaving ramp door open..... you know your area better than anyone. I've never (knock on wood) had a theft issue and I have an open trailer!

BigLag
03-13-2008, 06:36 PM
hey classy grass...i've been looking into getting my trailer lettered...about how much does it cost? i've got a few rough estimates over the phone and they were about 300-450 for just something basic.

Az Gardener
03-13-2008, 06:56 PM
If you do get the trailer pushing you around don't apply the brakes worst mistake. It just makes things worse either let off the gas or try and power out of it then let your rig coast to a safer speed get off the road and reload the trailer.

P.Services
03-13-2008, 07:03 PM
If you do get the trailer pushing you around don't apply the brakes worst mistake. It just makes things worse either let off the gas or try and power out of it then let your rig coast to a safer speed get off the road and reload the trailer.

im not sure if i agree with this, i have a brake controller that alows me to apply the brakes to only the trailer. when the trailer is starting to whip real bad from side to side or pushing and pulling me i just hit the button to apply the trailer brakes for a second and the trailer falls right back in line. it will go from out of controll whiping to no problem in no more then 2 seconds.

Classified
03-13-2008, 07:37 PM
yeas i agree picasso. but i think AZ meant not to apply the truck brakes? Applying the trailer brakes only is the ticket for sure.

newtostone
03-13-2008, 09:16 PM

#1. Load as you would with a normal trailer...the goal is to keep the weight evenly distributed.
#2. I always keep an extra 5 gallon around, but at the end of the day you can unload the mowers at the gas station or get a few 5 gallon cans and fill that way.
#3. ALWAYS BACK INTO THE DRIVE. With a 20' trailer (which mine is) there is no way to safely back out of any driveway.
#4. I always leave the ramp door open when mowing homes and such where i dont have to worry about anything in the trailer. I think this is going to vary on where you are cutting.