PDA

View Full Version : worth the investment or dont bother?

bigw
03-13-2008, 01:07 AM
I have a 60'' lazer and was considering a 3 bag ultra vac system for it. My question is do you think its worth the investment or will i probably not use it that much to justify the cost? I know it depends on this and that...just answer the dam question will ya lol.

Weekes
03-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Are you in an area were mulching is acceptable? If so mulch the heck out of everything, its better on cost and for environment. Here we bag it all so the better the bag setup the better cost effective it is for you.

CDSlawn
03-13-2008, 06:17 AM
We bought the dump bagger system for our Lazer and LOVE it! It's great for leaf cleanup and spring cleanup. Just charge a little extra for bagging if your customer wants it during regular cuttings. Between leaf/spring cleanup and extra for regular cuts you'll recoup the money invested.

Stillwater
03-13-2008, 06:19 AM
I have a 60'' lazer and was considering a 3 bag ultra vac system for it. My question is do you think its worth the investment or will i probably not use it that much to justify the cost? I know it depends on this and that...just answer the dam question will ya lol.

the exmark ultravac is worth every penny

mowing grass 1111
03-13-2008, 08:16 AM
have you thought about buying used .. i am on the fence about buying one also . my dealer wants $2,400 for a new unit ...thats alot cash considering i have never had a client ask me to bag or do leaf removal.

bigw
03-13-2008, 09:55 AM
to be honest none of my customers have asked me to bag yet either but then again i can just imagine them asking once i begin to mow them. Then again maybe not so im just trying to figure out if its worth it. Maybe i should wait and see what happens i guess. Thanks for the replies.

theother
03-13-2008, 10:03 AM
if you can afford the bagger id say go for it, they are nice to have especially when the lawns get high or you just want to do a nice cleanup... they are definately worth the money to have

bruno_rs
03-13-2008, 10:17 AM

hey big w, once again it depends upon your needs. just like another poster said, i (also) rarely catch. i run gator/mulching blades all season and would never go back to standard. if the growth is excessive, i raise the deck on the first run and hit it a second time to give a nice "clean" cut (of course charging alittle extra).

one huge drawback with using gators is, when the grass is damp and/or wet the deck loads up and spits out clumps. for that reason, i don't cut in the rain and/or damp grass... works better for ME to delay the day rather than feeling compelled to be on a lawn @ 7am and spending the next 1-2 hours blowing around wet clumps. work smart not hard.

i ABSOLUTELY agree the vacuum will be INVALUABLE when doing spring and ESPECIALLY fall cleanups... cuts your time significantly and leaves (no pun intended) a much cleaner look.

hey while, on the subject of fall cleanups... you may want to invest in a leaf plow for your ztr. they are a necessity, especially for a one man operation. the leaf plow has cut my cleanup time by probably 40%... no S#!T! moreover, it saves you from fighting with a tarp, HAVING to employ someone to help and MOST importantly you're not dead (tired) at the end of the day... remember, work smart not hard! i'm a one man operation and you should see the looks i get from people AND 5-6 man lco crews driving past me ALONE on a 4-5 acre site... it's priceless. also and MOST important... i've gotten many jobs by home/business owners stopping and saying they couldn't help but notice me (alone) and after speaking with me, ask if i could do their place. i may not be as fast as some "crews" but in all honesty, with the equipment i have, i'm close AND everything i make... is mine... after uncle sam gets his!!! the key in any profession is, it's all about what you have and how you use it!

years ago, i had a few guys work for me... unfortunately i spent more time fixing their mistakes, checking up on them and what it basically boiled down to (me) babysitting them... therefore my (own) productivity was (negatively) affected . i can get just as much done ,alone, when ALL is taken into account and no more worries and/or waiting around for one or more guys late for work, everyday of the week. moreover, i will only take on as much work as I can handle myself.

hey good luck and remember, work smart not hard. have a good one.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
If you are going to bag on a regular bases it is worth it. However, if you don't have any request for it I would say no. I will not bag a yard unless I am held at gunpoint. I mulch all mine and it looks just as good as bagging. If you do decide to get a bagger I would recommend watching ebay or our for sale section, you can get one a lot cheaper than 2400! It would take a LOT of yards to justify 2400 for me.

hackitdown
03-13-2008, 02:38 PM
I bought one for my Lazer HP, and around here it is a must. I have a couple of customers who insist on bagging, and pay extra for it. Sometimes in mid summer it is actually quicker to bag because it saves on blowing, but not often. But around here it is a must-have for cleanups.

I can take the tube and the impeller thing off in 1 minute if I need to switch to discharge in the field. I leave the frame of the collector and the bags on the machine and go.

8307c4
03-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I would say for a first year, no.

I will not argue probably it will hurt you and suck some not to have it, but the first year is rough.
It would be a different thing if it was a 1-200 dollar bagging system...
But how much is it, a thousand?
Sorry in advance, but probably the best thing to do is to run a bare basics setup, no fancy extras.

I'm a bit surprised you got a Z this early but so be it. Now you have one luxury item that is good for the human soul always one should have at least one thing to ahhhh and ooooh upon, unfortunately much beyond that life sucks but also it is to a point best that way.

I would keep it in mind for later years, there were a lot of things I wanted my first year...
Some I did acquire my 2nd and 3rd, some later, some I never acquired (didn't need or whatever)
some I still am getting to my 7th year I still want :laugh:
So, you don't bag, there are plenty of methods around that, believe you me.

And there is plenty of time, you'll be fine with or without, and whether you buy or not you will later always and still have want of things, regardless.
Keep your finances in mind, from here on out things are likely to get tight so you want to be around the 2nd year.

Military Lawns
03-13-2008, 04:32 PM
I lost a few customers in the beginning because I did not have a bagging system. Was reluctant at first to lay that kind of loot out. However, I purchased one and used it on some lawns that never asked for them. You would be surprised at the welcome response that I got. Plus, it help for PR and retention and helped me with some of the PITA's complaining about grass in the flower beds. Eventually, it paid for itself and now I would not mow without. Like having a Walker, only better looking.

DJ-