PDA

View Full Version : Door hangers illegal?!

garlar55
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I have had 6000 door hangers printed (they look great). Someone told me that it is illegal, so I called several town's code enforcement officer and sure enough, it is illegal to go door to door and put the hangers on. We are also not allowed to put them on cars windshields in parking lots. One town said it was a temporary sign. Another said I could apply for a peddlers license ($50), fill out a bunch of paperwork and then it had to go before the town board to be voted on as to whether or not they would allow it. This country is getting to be something else. Gov't interference in everything!! Anyone else have trouble like this or is it just us folks in New York, land of taxes and corrupt governors?? I guess I'm now stuck with 6000 door hangers to use as note pads at a cost of $235. What a country!!!

Edmond_Dantes
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I would use them as fliers and maybe even business cards. If they get your message across, give some to existing customers for referrals. I definately wouldn't trash 'em.

I would also think that if I lived in NY, 4 grand would be enough money to get a great looking prostitute, not an average one. :cool2:

grass disaster
03-13-2008, 03:47 PM
i would just put them out.

GSPHUNTER
03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
i would just put them out.

Agreed! You might want to find out what the fine is if you get caught though.

Carolina Cuts
03-13-2008, 06:01 PM
put em out.....
maybe you'll just get a 'first timer' warning...

Turfdoctor1
03-13-2008, 06:06 PM
better to ask forgiveness than permission.

just put the things out. if someone calls you on it, pretend you didn't know, and pay your $50 fine.

P.Services
03-13-2008, 06:10 PM
PUT THEM OUT!!!!! at worst you will get a phone call from someone who wants to act tuff, trust me ive been there a few times. im always like " oh i didnt know" end of story.

Lawn-Sharks
03-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Put em out! Sometime its better to say your SORRY then to ask for PERMISSION..
Wink....Wink....

Enzo
03-13-2008, 06:20 PM
like everyone else said, i know its illegal to put them on mailboxes so i have no other choice but to go door to door. and if they do fine you its only $50 nothing to crazy

jimh90248
06-12-2008, 08:43 PM
I found your posting on the web. I have been in the door-to-door business for almost 20 years. I have delivered millions of doorhangers for the Lawn Care industry. What you are seeing is a situation we deal with constantly. The city tries to bully the business owner by making unconsititutional demands on their right to free speech. I am part of a national association and we fight these city attorneys and have an excellent track record. I would be happy to discuss with you further if you would like.

trinity1
06-12-2008, 10:00 PM
I dont think any judge is going to fine you for trying to feed your family.

MassSteelerfan
06-12-2008, 10:53 PM
As long as you keep away from mailbox i think you are o.k. The mailbox is a definate no no.

McGaw
06-13-2008, 07:28 PM
I've never gone door to door. I gave the mailman $100 and he delivered them to all of the houses he delivers mail too. lol. He's also a customer.

DeepGreenLawn
06-13-2008, 07:37 PM
I know you can't put them IN a mailbox. I thought ON a mail box was fine though.

Horsepower Lawns
06-13-2008, 08:41 PM
I know you can't put them IN a mailbox. I thought ON a mail box was fine though.

You can't put anything in or on a mail box.

zemzabob
06-13-2008, 08:47 PM
You can't put anything in or on a mail box.

This is true. Now with that being said I would put em out.

Houstonguy
06-14-2008, 12:10 AM
The mailman delivered them?! Im a mailman and I would never do that. I hope he knew the big risk he was taking by doing that. Im in the lawn service biz and thought about doing it for myself but its not worth the risk if I get caught doing it. As far as the mailbox goes its all the postoffice porperty. I catch someone putting stuff in mailboxes about every other week and I never say anything unless it annoys me like them clogging it up just stuffing them in there and then I have trouble putting the letters in there.

DeepGreenLawn
06-14-2008, 11:42 AM
So, like I said, I don't put the IN the mailbox just hang them ON. They don't get in anyones way. To me that is not so bad.

McGaw
06-14-2008, 03:07 PM
The mailman, Joe, had no problems doing it. He is my last stop on Saturdays and he always has cold beer ready. He also has a pool that I swim in, lol. I'm spoiled...

HandyHomeMedic
06-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Hey, I'm from New Jersey. My (ex)Governor is sleazier than your (ex)Governor!! Put them out!

mdvaden
06-14-2008, 09:06 PM
I found your posting on the web. I have been in the door-to-door business for almost 20 years. I have delivered millions of doorhangers for the Lawn Care industry. What you are seeing is a situation we deal with constantly. The city tries to bully the business owner by making unconsititutional demands on their right to free speech. I am part of a national association and we fight these city attorneys and have an excellent track record. I would be happy to discuss with you further if you would like.

Recently, before moving from near Medford area a month ago, White City, Oregon, told me I had to have a soliciter license for like $50 to put out flyers.

In our area here, I just put them out. In 3 years, something may have changed ordinance-wise, but I'm not going to ask around much.

Just had a worker at our own house for a few hours just several weeks ago to help with our own landscape. Had him finish his shift passing flyers out in our neighborhood where we are not known.

Never heard one complaint.