PDA

View Full Version : need trailer tire... 9000 lbs

grass disaster
03-13-2008, 07:29 PM
need 4 tires to put on my enclosed trailer it's rated for 9000lbs.

what's a good trailer tire? i want to get a tire specific for trailers and something that will last a long time. possibly a 8 ply or a 10 ply. mybe a carlile if they make a good one.

what do you guys reccomend?

cpel2004
03-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Do yourself a favor and dont use a trailer tire, there not worth the money. I would look at a heavy duty truck tire.

topsites
03-14-2008, 01:54 AM
Keep one thing in mind, your tires are your first warning sign when you're over loading!

Put on a heavier duty tire and it may not bulge to let you know, next thing that happens is the axle breaks.

So you need to be familiar with how far the axle can bend when you over load, because sooner or later you will need this.

Do yourself a favor and dont use a trailer tire, there not worth the money. I would look at a heavy duty truck tire.

That or get one that's at least one or maybe two load ratings better than the highest rating your trailer calls for, that's what I do I replace them more due to flats than wear, never have replaced one for wear in and of itself.

DLCS
03-14-2008, 02:08 AM

Wrong bad advice. Trailer tires are worth every penny. The side walls on a car and truck tire will not handle the everyday twisting and turning of a trailer.

Atlantic Lawn
03-14-2008, 07:34 AM
I've gone through more tires on our trailers than I can remember. We run the proper hitch drop so the trailers run level, properly inflated as well. I've always run "trailer" tires on our dump trailers and wouldn't think of running anything else. I've run bias and radials in the proper configuration and never seem to get more than a season or so out of them. Maybe 15,000 miles. The most we usually haul is a few Z's and walkbehinds per trailer. I had an old beat 16' tandem trailer that I put "truck" tires on. Figured I give it a try and I know they don't have the same sidewall construction but I gave it a try. The tires did great ! I sold the trailer a couple years back to a tree guy. He hauls logs and branches with it and as best as I can figure these tires are now about three and a half or four years old. I looked at them the other day and they still were wearing ok, no uneven wear or bad blems. If a tire can handle the weight of a loaded down pickup shouldn't it handle a couple of mowers ? I'm buying quality tires and they just don't seem to last. Does anyone else run truck tires on single or tandems ? I posed this same question awhile back never got much response.

MarcSmith
03-14-2008, 08:24 AM
also have to remember that each tire on a tandem axle is supporting 1/4 of the load, so you don't need to search for a tire with a 9000# rating. turning is the worst, its scrubs the life out of the tires. when I got tires. i would always make sure that 3 of the four tires had a combined rating for the fully loaded trailer. ya know just in case i ha da blow out or a lfat, I could still safely and legally move the trailer with out having to worry about being under limit.

GravelyNut
03-14-2008, 09:47 AM
need 4 tires to put on my enclosed trailer it's rated for 9000lbs.

what's a good trailer tire? i want to get a tire specific for trailers and something that will last a long time. possibly a 8 ply or a 10 ply. mybe a carlile if they make a good one.

what do you guys reccomend?
Dealer we bought our trailer from used to use Carlisle tires. Had too many of them come back. Switched to Load Stars and hasn't had the problems with them. Which run just the opposite of what I would have figured.

J M B
04-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Maxxis UE-168, this is a LT commercial tire.

Once you use these, you will never try anything else!!

02DURAMAX
04-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Duno DS2100 They are rated for 2,450lbs and i have them on my trailer that has a G.V.W.R of 10,400lbs..and they are very good tires!

Keith
04-26-2008, 06:21 AM
If you can fit a 225/75/15, Cooper makes a 'Custom Trailer Plus' in a load range d. 2540lbs max load.

For those that can use them, the Kumho 857 comes in a load range d in a 185, 195 and 205. but they are only available for a 14" rim. The 205 is rated at almost 2300lbs. Pretty impressive small tire.