PDA

View Full Version : What is best way to care for 36 Scag wb blades?

green-pa
03-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I have a Scag that I have about 50 hours on it from last year and never got a round to sharpening the blades. I imagine it's overdue, however it seemed to give an excellent cut still. I just want to make sure that it's in top shape for this year. What is the best way to get access to the blades and what tools and techniques will I need to perform the removal? I plan on taking them in to get sharpened or replaced since I don't have a grinder or balancer.
Would this be ok to remove and put on myself or should I just bring the whole machine in to have them do the removal and installation, ect? I'm on a tight budjet after this winter so I'm trying to save where I can.

Thanks in advance for your help!

CreativeEdge
03-13-2008, 10:21 PM
You need a 2 1" sockets or wrenches, easiest way to get them off is w/ a air wrench. I dont know how you still get a good cut w/ 50 hrs on the blades, but when sharpening them make sure you keep the 30 degree angle, which may be hard to tell on your blades. I use a handheld grinder to sharpen, seems to be the easiest for me. They need to be sharpened very frequently, you can tell a huge difference btwn sharp and dull blades.

green-pa
03-13-2008, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=CreativeEdge;2207884]You need a 2 1" sockets or wrenches, easiest way to get them off is w/ a air wrench.QUOTE]

So a regular wrench will not do it I'm assuming unless a ton of pressure and strength is applied? How much are air wrenches?

CreativeEdge
03-13-2008, 10:39 PM
after that long they might be tough to get off by hand, i know you get a small compressor at home depot for like 250-300, you dont need anything big so make sure you get one w/ a regular 120v plug. It is worth the money for the time and headache or knuckle aches you would have w/ out it.

green-pa
03-13-2008, 10:45 PM
after that long they might be tough to get off by hand, i know you get a small compressor at home depot for like 250-300, you dont need anything big so make sure you get one w/ a regular 120v plug. It is worth the money for the time and headache or knuckle aches you would have w/ out it.

How do I angle it though in the first place to access the bolt holding each blade on? Do I use ramps or something?

CreativeEdge
03-13-2008, 11:06 PM
I let my trailer gate down and pull it up on one side, then go to the other. or lift it up and put something like a bucket, brick or whatever under the tires to keep it up

green-pa
03-13-2008, 11:15 PM
That makes sense.

ed2hess
03-13-2008, 11:41 PM
This is real simple.....lift up the front of you mower and put a jackstand under the deck. Take two 15/16" wrenches(12" long) put one on the top nut and the other one on the bottom bolt and turn. You can reach both from the front of the mower. I use two socket wrenches put you said you was on a tight budget so these two wrenches won't cost much. Think clockwise to tighten the nut on top and counter clockwise to unloosen. Then get a staight 1" file and sharpen the blades or take to dealer and pay $10.

Jay Ray
03-13-2008, 11:45 PM
If you don't have a compressor and have a Harbor Freight store nearby you can get a 1/2" electric impact wrench pretty cheap ($59?), wish I had kept last weeks flyer. You can also get a hand-held electric 4" angle grinder for about $15 or $20. I wouldn't recommend electric for cars but for just doing blades it will do. You can get prices on their website. If you have a $3 cone balancer and put it on a level surface (verified level) you can balance a blade a lot better than using a nail.

I have a small compressor, 8 gal. I think, but it is just quicker to plug in the electric impact. You can use a wrench with a cheater, but an impact makes it so much easier. On my exmark the torque spec is 115 and it takes something to loosen it by hand, but its easy with the impact. It is also pretty easy to overtighten with an impact so I use a torque wrench. If internal threads get torn out or boogered up bad, that is a real problem.

A 48 wb is not particulary dangerous to lift for a blade change, but once it is up I tie it off with half inch braided nylon rope to a truss I tripled overhead and block the rear wheels with beveled 2 x 4's. I used to just deadlift the front of the deck onto jackstands but have a Jungle Jack now -- much easier. If a wb fell it could probably produce an injury that would put a man out of work for awhile -- wrist, hand, elbow, broken bone etc. So I use the rope just in case the jack or jackstand fails.

I generally get 8-10 hours on a blade, less on bahia.

green-pa
03-14-2008, 01:08 AM
I generally get 8-10 hours on a blade, less on bahia.

Man, this is a lot of changing blades it seems! I plan on having 40-50 customers this year and working 8 hours/day. So I'd be removing/sharpening blades like every other or 3rd day! Oh, well, I guess I better get used to it if that is what is best. Thanks for all the info. I'm going to look for the wrenches the guy spoke of above your post and/or the power tool u mention here.

green-pa
03-14-2008, 01:11 AM
This is real simple.....lift up the front of you mower and put a jackstand under the deck. Take two 15/16" wrenches(12" long) put one on the top nut and the other one on the bottom bolt and turn. You can reach both from the front of the mower. I use two socket wrenches put you said you was on a tight budget so these two wrenches won't cost much. Think clockwise to tighten the nut on top and counter clockwise to unloosen. Then get a staight 1" file and sharpen the blades or take to dealer and pay $10.

Thank u for this info! Will this take massive strength though to remove the bolt? I'm like 150 lbs and 5ft 7. Strong, but not quite a monster yet..lol

HOOLIE
03-14-2008, 01:26 AM
When you tighten them by hand, they aren't too hard to get off most of the time. But sounds like this is the first blade change, and I always find the blades are over-torqued when I buy a new mower. So they may be too tight to take off by hand. It's really not cost effective to have your dealer do the sharpening but for the sake of saving time, have the dealer zap them off and sharpen them this time. Then buy several extra sets of blades and an inexpensive grinder and do it yourself from home afterwards.

green-pa
03-14-2008, 01:52 AM
It's really not cost effective to have your dealer do the sharpening but for the sake of saving time, have the dealer zap them off and sharpen them this time. Then buy several extra sets of blades and an inexpensive grinder and do it yourself from home afterwards.

Yeah, well in this case I should take it to my dealer as u say. How much is it for them to take them off and sharpen, like $50-75?