PDA

View Full Version : What is spring clean up?

Simplecut20
03-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Ok guys I really tried to find this one on my own but I had no luck. What is spring clean up? Thank you so much for looking and posting.

YoungGun
03-14-2008, 12:04 AM
GEt all the
Leaves
Branches
out of the yard sometime a fresh cut too/ Tree trimming/ plan trimming weeding/ thing what spring cleaning just getting the house clean for the summer same deal but outside

Cutting 4eva 21
03-14-2008, 07:59 AM
trim hedges, fresh mulch installed, leaves out the flower beds, dethaching, mow lawn, weeding beds, etc etc. Getting all the old crap out that way when you come back to your customers house all you have to do is cut,edge,blow!!

AI Inc
03-14-2008, 08:02 AM
go in in the spring , and clean up.

terrapro
03-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Ok guys I really tried to find this one on my own but I had no luck. What is spring clean up? Thank you so much for looking and posting.
i see you are from MI. it will vary by zone so what the other guy said about trimming the shrubs is incorrect for our area, do not do it yet! i have found the sweet spot is right around end of may beginning of june.

spring cleanup =
leaf removal from beds
cutback any perennials that need to be
tree trimming
weeding
mulching is optional
gravel/crap removal from yard from plowing

bruno_rs
03-14-2008, 09:51 AM
i see you are from MI. it will vary by zone so what the other guy said about trimming the shrubs is incorrect for our area, do not do it yet! i have found the sweet spot is right around end of may beginning of june.

spring cleanup =
leaf removal from beds
cutback any perennials that need to be
tree trimming
weeding
mulching is optional
gravel/crap removal from yard from plowing

hey terrapro, very good point about the trimminig... could do irreversible damage, in the wrong zone. spring clean up, in even simpler terms, is labor NECESSARY to rid the overall "landscape" from damage and/or debris left behind during the winter season.

although spring clean up is one of the most important labors, performed BEFORE the cutting the season, the severity of "damage" and/or its' importance is often unable to be "recognized" by the average homeowner. further, what they may not understand is, by "overlooking" the spring cleaning process the lawn and landscape WILL be put at a SERIOUS disadvantage as well as promote weeds and/or "disease" to take root!

it's your job, as a professional, to "educate" the property owner if and when there is something which can help OR harm their most valuable asset. moerover, i've found most customers appreciate your knowledge and tend to repeat it back to you, their friends and/or collegues... as i put it, the "regular guy" syndrome. when the customer feels part of a healthy lawn/landscape solution, it "usually" makes for a much "friendlier" AND financially rewarding business relationship.

to the poster... you did the right thing by starting this forum. remember, the only silly question is the one you were afraid to ask. best of luck. have a good one.

topsites
03-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Down to the nuts and bolts it really just involves removing / cleaning up those leaves / branches that may have fallen since the last fall cleanup.... Most Lco's and also homeowners plain don't concern themselves with the yard through the cold winter so there's likely to be some debris, to a point it can be significant such as if we had any good storms Jan-Feb etc...

What it does NOT entail is dealing with leaves that haven't been touched since they first fell back in October, that to me is not a spring cleanup...
You can call it that but to me a spring cleanup is simply catch up work for what might have fallen since the final fall / early winter cleanup.

Again yes it can be significant, I've had to remove piles of leaves that required the blowers and that is not unusual, but don't call me talking about a spring cleanup if you know dang well your fall cleanup somehow never got done is all I'm saying (and watch out for this little pitfall lol).

Peace

Simplecut20
03-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Thanks guys!

echeandia
03-15-2008, 10:19 PM
A spring cleanup is cleaning up whatever the customer wants cleaned up.

F Y P M
03-15-2008, 10:30 PM
A spring clean-up is a signifigant way to pay for your winter vacation!!

MC Handy Man
01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
A spring clean-up is a signifigant way to pay for your winter vacation!!

whats is winter vacation?:confused:

Glenn Lawn Care
01-29-2009, 10:05 PM
its diifernt in every area. here in minnesota all i do is dethatch the lawn, blow leaves that fell of blew in the yard after i did a fall clean up, and pick up twigs. DO NOT TRIM SHRUBS IN THE SPRING. i trim mine at the end of june and in to july.

david shumaker
01-30-2009, 04:50 PM
go in in the spring , and clean up.

Same thing I do!!

david shumaker
01-30-2009, 04:53 PM
A spring cleanup is cleaning up whatever the customer wants cleaned up.

That's what I do, too!!