PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever done this...

A1Lawns
03-14-2008, 04:50 AM
Your desparate, money is tight, you need to get your ads out in numbers and ASAP.

Has anyone one of you taken Seans advice and simply throw/place bagged ads next to mailboxes?

It's only a question folks. So all the high and mighty business experts RELAX. Besides, our very own Sean Adams has recommended doing this in his priceless material.

It may be cheasy, but DAMN, you can get TONS of ads out this way. lol

Sammy
03-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Has anyone one of you taken Seans advice and simply throw/place bagged ads next to mailboxes?

Never done it, never will. :nono:

DaveinSWFL
03-14-2008, 07:30 AM
If you have the time why no give it a shot, what do you have to lose? I personally don't open them and I pitch them in the trash. You might want to check the law in your city and county first before distributing them. Good luck.

cgaengineer
03-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Your desparate, money is tight, you need to get your ads out in numbers and ASAP.

It's only a question folks. So all the high and mighty business experts RELAX. Besides, our very own Sean Adams has recommended doing this in his priceless material.

It may be cheasy, but DAMN, you can get TONS of ads out this way. lol

Try it and let me know how it turns out. I saw some of these in a upper class neighborhood with a business card (Printed on inkjet) and a river stone in the bag. The cards ink was bleeding and the bag was ragged from the owners of the house running it over.

I think if I were to do it I would use bird seed or grass seed in the bag.

crawdad
03-14-2008, 07:54 AM
No, I would not litter a potential customer's property.

CrimsonLawnCare
03-14-2008, 09:33 AM
lol its a waste of your time, just drive around and you will see about 2-3 of them in the driveway already, only time the home owner will pick it up is to throw it out.

Valk
03-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I recall accidentally mowing one of these bags...and spraying the contents in ALL directions...yeah, I was PO'd. :nono: :hammerhead: :realmad: Fortunately it was birdseed...and not pebbles...still made a mess though.

nemow
03-14-2008, 12:06 PM
I recall accidentally mowing one of these bags...and spraying the contents in ALL directions...yeah, I was PO'd. :nono: :hammerhead: :realmad: Fortunately it was birdseed...and not pebbles...still made a mess though.

I ran one over one day. Stones not birdseed. Someone targeted a few neighborhoods where I have a large group of customers. The problem is most wait until people are already being mowed by another LCO. Throwing plastic bags on people driveways really does look like littering and people that have landscapers already, are not going to be the ones who have to pick it up. Maybe it works for some but a door hanger or flyer in the mail seems to be a little classier. I almost left a few on the driveways for the customers to pick up but it looks bad on our part leaving trash on the property. Im also intrigued to see if this has worked for anyone. "I found a new LCO they were driving around throwing plastic bags out the window, I think they are just lazy enough to be our landscapers". Just dont see it.

Military Lawns
03-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Maybe it will work, may not! I think it is tacky and will not do this because I am representing my business and this is not the way that I want to do so. However, I am not saying that it will not work or is effective.

DJ-

kleankutslawn
03-14-2008, 02:33 PM
it is not a way i would advertise

topsites
03-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah but all you guys got 200 megazillion years in the business when Sean's book is about shoe string budgets for start ups.

This idea's been out for many years, it's as original as things get in one way, that is it's unusual.
No, I wouldn't do it today, but then I've also got a more elastic budget now.
But it is a proven concept, it's just not every day you see it.
And we've done it, I'm GUILTY!
Tens of thousands of ads we put out back in the days.
It works, enough said.

Lawn-Sharks
03-14-2008, 07:48 PM
I have customers that have had people throw those kind of advertisements in their yard and all i have ever herd was how it pissed them off.. so i wouldnt but thats me if it work for you let us know...GOOD LUCK

DISTURBEDSMR
03-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Those ads never get read I pick them up all the time and throw them away. One guy put one in the drive while I was working for roof cleaning guess what the next week I picked it up so anybody doing this in my area keep doing it because you won't get any accounts:)

americanlawn
03-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Don't think it would fly here in Iowa. People here are not desperate. They count their pennies, and most have little confidence regarding "val-paks", door hangers, or anything else like this. If they are interested in something, they will call. Seen too many daily newspapers piled up on front doorsteps. More trash just adds to their hassle. IMO

bill8379
03-14-2008, 10:00 PM
That is a bs way to advertise, in fact it's no advertising so much as it is littering. Besides, by the time you put everything in a bag, you could a just delivered it by hand. Or better yet, pay to have them delivered. I get mine delivered for $42 a thousand.

LushGreenLawn
03-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Bill,

Who do you have deliver your fliers? And what do you do to make sure they are delivered?

I would like to hire someone to deliver fliers, because I am getting to busy on the spring to do it myself, but am hesitant to hire someone and turn them loose, because I'm afraid they would end up in the trash can. I could drive around and check, but that defeats the purpose of hiring someone.

bill8379
03-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Bill,

Who do you have deliver your fliers? And what do you do to make sure they are delivered?

I would like to hire someone to deliver fliers, because I am getting to busy on the spring to do it myself, but am hesitant to hire someone and turn them loose, because I'm afraid they would end up in the trash can. I could drive around and check, but that defeats the purpose of hiring someone.

I have the local paper deliver them as inserts, the people that don't get the paper get the flyer in an adbag a few days later. They also do the printing, this spring I'm planing on 10k half page, two colour, two sided flyers (one side for spring clean up and the other side for weekly maintenance), it will cost about $700 total for printing and delivery. Last year I sent out 30k in the spring but I got too much work:laugh:

Also, I'll hire guys from Labour Ready (4-5 at a time) to deliver my postcards that have addresses and prices on them. But I don't think I'm going to do this way anymore, but you never know.

Lynden-Jeff
03-15-2008, 07:10 PM
In canada we can put flyers IN the mail box. Lucky us!

LushGreenLawn
03-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Why is it that you Canadians make laws that make sense?!

bill8379
03-16-2008, 08:21 AM

We are paying $1.14 a litre for gas (most of it tax) and we have as much oil as Saudi Arabia. Yet eastern Canada gets it's oil from Vensula and the Middle East. The Oil in Alberta most goes south to the states. So I would say we are ass backwards in many ways.

btw, $1.14 a litre is about $4.55 a gallon and we are expecting $6 a gallon by summer.

IN2MOWN
03-16-2008, 09:35 AM

Would you want someone potentially digging through your mail when they drop off a flyer?

Tell me how it makes sense for anyone to legally have access to your mailbox?

LushGreenLawn
03-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Would you want someone potentially digging through your mail when they drop off a flyer?

I did not say it makes sense for someone to dig through the mail. That obviously would still be illegal. Yes, you could argue that it could happen, but last time I checked I could go to my nieghbors house anytime I want and steal their mail, its not like the boxes are locked (most anyway).

Also, I have seen alot of your posts in the past, and you come off as a little hostile "Tell me how it makes sense for anyone to legally have access to your mailbox" Thats not too bad but alot of your posts are... chill out a little!

IN2MOWN
03-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I did not say it makes sense for someone to dig through the mail. That obviously would still be illegal. Yes, you could argue that it could happen, but last time I checked I could go to my nieghbors house anytime I want and steal their mail, its not like the boxes are locked (most anyway).

Also, I have seen alot of your posts in the past, and you come off as a little hostile "Tell me how it makes sense for anyone to legally have access to your mailbox" Thats not too bad but alot of your posts are... chill out a little!

Im sorry if you think I was hostile for wanting your opinion...

Next time I just wont ask for it. :cry::cry::cry:

Lynden-Jeff
03-17-2008, 05:15 PM

Mail tampering is illegal, we just dont go to the extreme of keeping people away from our mail box. Belive it or not, we dont have any issues with people snooping through the mail!

paul vroom
03-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I have taken Seans advice and it worked. I also felt confident and less stressed after reading his advice. Its all good.:weightlifter:

A1Lawns
03-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I have taken Seans advice and it worked. I also felt confident and less stressed after reading his advice. Its all good.:weightlifter:

That's right Paul! Like he says, "It's the nature of the beast".

I also called the police department today to make sure it was'nt littering and they said it's not thier department and to contact 'zoning and planing'. Not sure what they would have to do or say about it though.
I willl be using a slightly different, assumingly "less offensive" method than throwing ads on driveways though.